Medical and IPC

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
For a VFR flight review, my medical does not need to be current, however, does this also hold for an IPC?

Thanks

You must have a certain recency of experience to operate IFR but that experience can be in a flight training device which would not require a medical.
HOWEVER...I am just getting back into GA and am studying this stuff so I will defer to more current individuals.

Certificate and rating checkride requirements aside, the only thing a private pilot requires a medical for is acting as PIC or required crewmember.

Does that help answer your question?

Certificate and rating checkride requirements aside, the only thing a private pilot requires a medical for is acting as PIC or required crewmember.

Thanks Mark...

Question: I no longer have a medical certificate.

But, I have all the fancy stuff on my airman's certificate. Can I rent a Cessna 182 from the local FBO with a CFI, get current with him/her, then do a flight review and the instrument competency check (or whatever it is presently call)?

But, I have all the fancy stuff on my airman's certificate. Can I rent a Cessna 182 from the local FBO with a CFI, get current with him/her, then do a flight review and the instrument competency check (or whatever it is presently call)?

What is keeping you from your medical?

Sure. I don't see why not. 61.23 has a pretty extensive list of when a medical certificate is required. What in that list do you think prevents you receiving instruction and endorsements from a CFI?

Of course, you wouldn't be able to exercise any of the privileges associated with those endorsements while you are sans medical so, unless we're talking about something temporary, I'm not sure of the why.

That's not to say there aren't CFIs who think you can't. I would have no problem doing it.

I did an IPC last year while medically grounded temporarily. My medical was "current" in as much as it was less than two years old. I told the CFII up front that I was medically grounded for awhile and he had no problem with it.

What is keeping you from your medical?
All the money it would take to document permissible medical conditions for a Third Class medical. And, to try to document the visits to doctors since my last medical some 17 years ago. At my age I don't even want to act as PIC, but I would like to become proficient again after a career of flying.

All the money it would take to document permissible medical conditions for a Third Class medical. And, to try to document the visits to doctors since my last medical some 17 years ago. At my age I don't even want to act as PIC, but I would like to become proficient again after a career of flying.
Have you contacted a CFII about it yet?

You only have to document the last three years.
I wasn't aware of that, especially for someone who has a long history of FAA medical certifications. I never flunked one, so I could be a Sport Pilot, but that doesn't interest me.

I wasn't aware of that, especially for someone who has a long history of FAA medical certifications. I never flunked one, so I could be a Sport Pilot, but that doesn't interest me.
Two separate issues.

One is doctors visits in the past three years. I've known folks who have flown light sport for a few years to avoid unnecessary questions.

The other is, of course, the "have you ever in your life..." questions. Those can be more problematic.

For a VFR flight review, my medical does not need to be current, however, does this also hold for an IPC?

Thanks
As long as the instructor is current and holds a medical, then you don't need a medical for either a FR or IPC.

As long as the instructor is current and holds a medical, then you don't need a medical for either a FR or IPC.

Yeuuppp all is good, just can't log the training as PIC... medical is next Friday..

Yeuuppp all is good, just can't log the training as PIC... medical is next Friday..
The logging reg doesn't require you to act as PIC in order to log PIC. You just need to have the appropriate ratings on your pilot certificate and be the sole manipulator of the controls. The medical certificate reg says that you need one in order to act as a required crew member. When the instructor is acting as PIC in an aircraft that only requires one pilot, you're not a required crew member even if you're manipulating the controls.

Back