Media is on the attack, but who is directing the show ???

MedicineMan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MedicineMan
First let me tell you all that I am an unapologetic "gun nut".
As such, I have seen so many times that the antis have launched attacks on the Second Amendment that I know the "signs and symptoms" of an attack almost immediately.

Well.....
I see story after story after story about "small plane crashes" in the national news over the past few weeks.
Stories that would never have gotten a passing glance before.
TONIGHT 2/28/17, on the ABC Nightly propaganda report, they ran yet ANOTHER story. And this time it included the statement that "more training is needed for Private Pilots".

Sure, I "might" be paranoid and reactionary.
But all the signs are there.
This could be an attack on GA and Private Pilots.

Just a heads up from someone who knows how the media pushes agendas.

(if this is wrong forum, I apologize and understand if it gets moved)

They should launch a campaign against texting while driving. Kills more people and causes more property damage than us small plane crashers.

Forgot to mention it's a ratings month. Everything has more drama. I saw one LA TV station had three reporters live at the scene last night. Thank God no one in the homes was harmed.

Think about this from the standpoint of the average person. They never fly GA and really don't receive any benefit from individuals flying their own planes. Now, say you're sitting in your house and out of nowhere there's an explosion, your house is on fire, and you have to scramble for your life, hopefully getting all your loved ones outside, so you can watch all your possessions and memories be destroyed in a matter of minutes. Remember, this was someone's home. Ever heard the expression "safe at home"? For most of us, that is the one place we don't have to be on our guards. The reason that the media is treating this like a big deal is that it is one, it's one of those nightmare scenarios most of us don't want to think about.

Most people will give you a wide latitude to take risks as long as you don't involve them. The pilot and his family chose to fly, the people on the ground did not. If a truck had crashed into a group of houses and set three of them on fire, it would have been just as big of a story.

giphy.gif

Think about this from the standpoint of the average person. They never fly GA and really don't receive any benefit from individuals flying their own planes. Now, say you're sitting in your house and out of nowhere there's an explosion, your house is on fire, and you have to scramble for your life, hopefully getting all your loved ones outside, so you can watch all your possessions and memories be destroyed in a matter of minutes. Remember, this was someone's home. Ever heard the expression "safe at home"? For most of us, that is the one place we don't have to be on our guards. The reason that the media is treating this like a big deal is that it is one, it's one of those nightmare scenarios most of us don't want to think about.

Most people will give you a wide latitude to take risks as long as you don't involve them. The pilot and his family chose to fly, the people on the ground did not. If a truck had crashed into a group of houses and set three of them on fire, it would have been just as big of a story.

There is also a prevalent contempt in our country right now for those who are successful, and a prevalent myth that airplanes are "toys" of the "rich." Couple that with jealousy and someone innocent being harmed (or property destroyed) and the situation is ripe for "why do these rich people have to fly those planes and endanger all of us" mentality.

I shut a lot of people at work down who were spewing that BS when I pointed out their new full size SUV/midlife crisis sports car/etc sold for more than my 182 is worth...

Yeah, these things are bad and unfortunately at 0.2% of the population we do not have a big voice to either counter the media's alarmist point of view or garner much sympathy from the average person. The only thing we can really do is to try to keep it as safe and positive as we possibly can - which of course is our goal to begin with since none of us care more about a media report than we do about our and our loved ones' lives. It's frustrating but I don't think we really have the ability to reverse the sensationalist tide that makes a single plane crash killing no one on the ground get 100X+ attention as a car crash with the same impact. Thats just the way the news works.

Be careful out there folks.

Back