Medeco lock install

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
The door locks on my Lance are crunchy and every time I lock her I'm afraid they're going to break. The front baggage door was replaced with a medeco at some point and it is smooth as silk, so I ordered the cabin door kit from aircraft security. I was impressed that they maintain records of every lock they sell and were able to key the new ones to match the existing.

Anybody install these? Particularly on a Piper? Seems fairly straightforward, although there will be some custom fitting apparently.

Anybody want to argue if this falls under the purview of owner maintenance? I'm I inclined to think that it does, although the instructions refer to it as a minor mod.

Anybody want to argue if this falls under the purview of owner maintenance? I'm I inclined to think that it does, although the instructions refer to it as a minor mod.
I dont recall any physical alteration needed but its been a few years. I thought those locks were used by the OEMs on various models? Can you post the instructions?

It would be difficult for an owner to argue against the Mfg showing in the instructions “...is considered a minor alteration” and “A logbook entry...should be sufficient”. I’d bet not owner maintenance.

But it’s not like it’s harder than spark plugs or oil. Or can affect airworthiness like screwing up plugs & oil could.

It would be difficult for an owner to argue against the Mfg showing in the instructions “...is considered a minor alteration” and “A logbook entry...should be sufficient”. I’d bet not owner maintenance.

But it’s not like it’s harder than spark plugs or oil. Or can affect airworthiness like screwing up plugs & oil could.
I'm sure my A&P would sign it off for $20. In my mind though it's the one thing that if I screwed it up it couldn't cause a crash. The 'minor mx" line feels like a CYA. They aren't going to tell you you can do it yourself, and they don't want someone thinking they need to file a 337. I do wish they hadn't put that line on there though. "What instructions....I didn't see any instructions. I followed the piper mx manual..."

I can see it now...."a thorough examination of the logbooks showed unapproved door lock installation. Probable Cause: improper maintenance, and failure to file a vfr flight plan"

Anybody want to argue if this falls under the purview of owner maintenance?
I think it can fit under prevent mx per the Part 1 definition (replacement of small standard parts) and 43 Appx A(c)(26). The only person who may see different would be your APIA at annual time. While totally up to you, you may want to ask them for input prior to replacing.
It would be difficult for an owner to argue against the Mfg showing in the instructions “...is considered a minor alteration”
This falls more in line with a vendor labeling their parts "experimental." It still ultimately falls to the Part 43 installer to make that call even at the prevent mx level. Installation instructions can be a positive or negative in making your case but regardless its the installer who makes the decision.

I put Medico locks on my Warrior in the late 80's. I did the installation myself and it was not that difficult to do. I do not recall how I did the sign-off. Mine have lasted forever. I got mine after discovering that my key also worked with my Instructor's Arrow.

Even if the keys weren't identical, the average airplane lock is easily jiggled open with a little practice. Of course, the Medico provides a bit more security for someone trying to enter with a key, but you have to understand that the key isn't the weak link there. I could open one of the planes in our flying club with any key because I could easily turn the entire lock enough to clear the cam. I suspect a stout screwdriver in the key hole would do the same in many situations. Remember you've stuck that thing in a rather light piece of aluminum. A lot of doors can also be popped open with a similar instrument even without looking at the lock at all.

Even if the keys weren't identical, the average airplane lock is easily jiggled open with a little practice. Of course, the Medico provides a bit more security for someone trying to enter with a key, but you have to understand that the key isn't the weak link there. I could open one of the planes in our flying club with any key because I could easily turn the entire lock enough to clear the cam. I suspect a stout screwdriver in the key hole would do the same in many situations. Remember you've stuck that thing in a rather light piece of aluminum. A lot of doors can also be popped open with a similar instrument even without looking at the lock at all.
True, and tbh the medeco makes it worse because you have to file out one of the flats that prevent the lock from turning as the medeco has one flat side vs the factory two. Again I wouldn't have bothered except my existing locks felt like they were about to fail even after being lubed. Actually the front did lock literally did fall apart after I removed it... pins, springs, and all. There was no going back at that point.

The lance is a little weird because the front door has the 77-up latch (despite being a 76), and the back door has the pre-77 latch. The front door was stone simple and took about an hour, including cleaning up and painting the door hinges.

The back door was another matter. Spent 3 hours on the lock alone. It's a more complicated mechanism, and is sandwiched between two layers of fiberglass (the pa32 rear door is fiberglass), so everything happens through a small hole. Fun.

... the pa32 rear door is fiberglass ...
I learned something new today!
This comes under the heading of "things I've seen owners do for themselves and not do any paperwork on".

I learned something new today!
This comes under the heading of "things I've seen owners do for themselves and not do any paperwork on".
You're making a lot of assumptions there.

Back