Mechanic $$ per hour

There's a lot of electronic subscriptions you have to keep up these days as an auto mechanic for the good plug in boxes. Working on cars is more complex and difficult these days than working on planes. The most cramped Mooney or Beech cowling, heck, even helicopters, aren't as bad and modern cars.

amen, retired from an auto mechanic career - working on helicopters is much much easier.

I'm amazed how many mechanics will spend an hour or so per day surfing their favorite forum answering maintenance questions and not make a dime or advertise for their business.

I'm amazed how many mechanics will spend an hour or so per day surfing their favorite forum answering maintenance questions and not make a dime or advertise for their business.

Thats the kind of giving freely that I give. I, however, don't drill out bolts for free ! :goofy:

More than you'd think. That's the point of the GM and Toyota debacles. Without the engine, the power steering (& airbags in GM's case) stop working and cars crash. Unfortunately(?) NTSB doesn't investigate every auto crash so we don't know for sure.

If the engine dies and the power steering quits boosting (it doesn't fail, it still steers just fine with a small bit of extra effort if rolling at any speed, the main need for power steering is at extreme low speeds and stopped) that is the drivers failure for getting in an accident.

If the engine dies and the power steering quits boosting (it doesn't fail, it still steers just fine with a small bit of extra effort if rolling at any speed, the main need for power steering is at extreme low speeds and stopped) that is the drivers failure for getting in an accident.

That GM ignition switch recall seemed :goofy: to me.

I got out of the airplane mechanic business about five years ago. At the time, I was pulling down a whopping $12 an hour. I got a dollar an hour raise when I got my IA and my boss acted like he was doing me a huge favor by giving me that. I got a job offer to supervise lifeguards at the aquatic center and it paid $15 an hour. I decided that I didn't like being an airplane mechanic that much. I have no idea how much my boss was charging for labor at that time, but I'll bet it wasn't $12 an hour.

My AP/IA buddy has a sign on his shop door:

Labor rates
========
$75/hour
$100/hour if you watch.
$125/hour if you help.

I got out of the airplane mechanic business about five years ago. At the time, I was pulling down a whopping $12 an hour. I got a dollar an hour raise when I got my IA and my boss acted like he was doing me a huge favor by giving me that. I got a job offer to supervise lifeguards at the aquatic center and it paid $15 an hour. I decided that I didn't like being an airplane mechanic that much. I have no idea how much my boss was charging for labor at that time, but I'll bet it wasn't $12 an hour.

You most certainly were underpaid but in order to eliminate your "boss" you would need your own shop, your own tools and equipment and your own liability protection. Those overhead expenses, after being covered, what would be left for you alone if you were charging $75/hr? If you want to hire someone else to do the actual work you'll have payroll taxes and such to deal with so it's likely that your "boss" wasn't making a killing either. Owning your own business sounds appealing but it involves a lot of collecting money and passing it out to who it actually belongs to. As an employee you were one of the few factors he he had control to squeeze and quitting was the only real option you had.

As a Lifeguard you're going to spend a lot less time cleaning under your fingernails so you've got that if nothing else. If you are in a situation where your employer is using you as a way to make ends meet it's best to get out anyway.

Besides, the scenery around the pool (or beach) is much better.

Working on cars, it's often quite entertaining what some girls will wear trying to finagle a discount.:yes:

There are no discounts. There are alternate means of payment I may accept however. :eek:

Back