MEA along with high performance and complex?

Eric Lehto

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Lombard
So just day dreaming here. If I were gunning for my multi endorsement, would it hurt or hinder to go straight for the MEA, as opposed to getting my high performance and complex first?

The multi-engine is not an endorsement it is a completely separate rating which entails a check ride with an examiner. But the chances are if you get your multi you will do it in a complex aircraft so you will at least be able to get that endorsement. Most twin trainers are not high performance so you will want to find somebody with a 182 or similar to get that endorsement.

Assuming you train in a multi engine airplane with an engine more that 200 hp you can get the HP and complex, but most multi engine trainers only have 200 hp engines and not HP.

I don't see a "help or hinder" here since the HP and complex endorsements from a CFI are a different animal than a full practical test for the AMEL rating.

The complex in a single might be a small stepping stone to a twin, but if the goal is to use the multi rating, I don't see any real advantage to stopping along the way.

Back