Maybe I'm wrong...I don't know

I know i'm finally back. I got so burned out with training that I didn't want to see anything aviation until I was done. Thank God its finally over. We definitely gotta go fly again one of these days. This past weekend I wanted to do a bay tour and hit KHAF. I studied the charts a bit and came up with a plan B & C if ATC wasn't going to give me what I wanted...All that VFR planning gave me a headache so I just filed IFR :D Ended up getting a decent bay tour afterall with the vectors I was given.

I flew into HAF on Sunday, VFR over Alcatraz and then over the Golden Gate bridge and around by the cliffs (we hit some moderate to heavy turb along the beach there at 1,500 feet). We came in a little after 9:00 am. Beautiful day for flying. We were under the shelf, so no hassles from ATC. I did get vectored a bunch coming home (lots of bay tour traffic) around 3:00.

I'll take the other side:
Why not?

Try everything (within reason) at least once. Do it so when the time comes that you have no other recourse, you have to confidence and the experience to do it and survive.
Then do it again in every plane you fly.

BTW: my CFI made me practice tailwind takeoffs and landings. After all they include the data in the charts for that very reason.

Glenn

Last edited:
My POH doesn't specify a tailwind limitation . I will tell you this, if the airport is a place like TEB or similar, 5-7 kt tailwind, I will go with the flow. If it is Podunk Muni and the controller is half asleep and can't be bothered, IOW no good reason, I'll request a runway into the wind. I will also tell you a controller will not care if you end up off the RWY. You are PIC, and you accepted the landing clnc, if it was unsafe you should have refused the clnc, end of story.

Have to correct myself here. The POH does say to increase takeoff/landing distance 10 percent for 1.5 kits of tailwind up to 10 kits.

Maybe it is just my perception, but the effects of landing with just a light tailwind in a LSA seem more dramatic than in a heavier aircraft.

Have to correct myself here. The POH does say to increase takeoff/landing distance 10 percent for 1.5 kits of tailwind up to 10 kits.

Maybe it is just my perception, but the effects of landing with just a light tailwind in a LSA seem more dramatic than in a heavier aircraft.

Well, 10kts on a 40kt stall speed is more significant than 10kts on a 60kt stall speed.

To the OP, you do the numbers, if the numbers work out with adequate margin, you're doing it acceptably. But actually do the numbers, when you do something counter to "Common wisdom".

This. If you run the numbers and come up with options that are "safe" and "safer", there is nothing wrong with taking the first option. As long as you actually evaluate the options objectively, I don't see any problem with choosing safe over safer, if safe has other benefits (like saving time/gas/whatever).

I'm not a great writer, so maybe the point I'm trying to make isn't clear. I'm not trying to prove what he did was unsafe, it wasn't . The decision making process can apply to many other situations. From everything he said, it is obvious there was something nagging him in the back of his head. In this instance, if didn't matter, in others it may. It may be a good idea to listen to that nagging voice. The fact that he has to ask others if he did the right thing, to me means he didn't choose the option that would have relieved all doubt.

I can't wait until I have enough hours that I can make aeronautical decisions that remove all doubt in my mind. :D

I would have told that ass wipe to go **** himself.

end of story.

Around here I have never seen anyone get uptight even in close calls. Do have a CFI in my area that needs a gentle talk about turning the volume off on his radio(s) during instruction. I do see and avoid before radio ... have had him pull out while on short final and a couple of weeks ago he landed opposite direction against traffic requiring a go around (runway is 9000 feet ... would help to see opposite direction landing traffic if the landing light were on).

Around here I have never seen anyone get uptight even in close calls. Do have a CFI in my area that needs a gentle talk about turning the volume off on his radio(s) during instruction. I do see and avoid before radio ... have had him pull out while on short final and a couple of weeks ago he landed opposite direction against traffic requiring a go around (runway is 9000 feet ... would help to see opposite direction landing traffic if the landing light were on).

If there is traffic then there is already an active runway and you need to use the active runway. However if noone is in the pattern, on the ctaf, on either end of the runway doing a run up.....then the pilot chooses which runway is going to be active.

Back