May have found my last airplane.

Display Name

Display name:
Threefingeredjack
My wife is retiring next year and we have committed to each other we will travel for the first couple of years to see the US. My partner in the 310 is committed to buying me out and I will probably keep the 172. But we need a good travelling airplane, and SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) says one with a toilet would be peachy. I want a good airframe with FIKI and engines that burn Jet A.

Then today's AWST had this article about the Excalibur 421. A company called The Aviation Alliance, which numbers among its members Jack Pelton, is stripping Cessna 421s to the frame, adding a pair of PT6A-135As, a wingspar mod, leather interior, flush toilet Full blown Garmin cockpit with synthetic vision, ADS-B In/Out, new deice boots, strakes, winglets, additional fuel tanks and vortex generators.

The result is a 300kt cruise with an initial climb rate of 4000fpm and a 1420nm range. The company says they have 17 signed orders and about 140 more inquiries. I think you need to supply a 421C on your own, but for that price and 2.5 million you wind up with a very nice economical cruiser. I'm officially on my best behavior. :D

Why not buy a Cheyenne 400LS for $1m and call it good? $1.5m saved will buy a lot of gas.

My wife is retiring next year and we have committed to each other we will travel for the first couple of years to see the US. My partner in the 310 is committed to buying me out and I will probably keep the 172. But we need a good travelling airplane, and SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) says one with a toilet would be peachy. I want a good airframe with FIKI and engines that burn Jet A.

Then today's AWST had this article about the Excalibur 421. A company called The Aviation Alliance, which numbers among its members Jack Pelton, is stripping Cessna 421s to the frame, adding a pair of PT6A-135As, a wingspar mod, leather interior, flush toilet Full blown Garmin cockpit with synthetic vision, ADS-B In/Out, new deice boots, strakes, winglets, additional fuel tanks and vortex generators.

The result is a 300kt cruise with an initial climb rate of 4000fpm and a 1420nm range. The company says they have 17 signed orders and about 140 more inquiries. I think you need to supply a 421C on your own, but for that price and 2.5 million you wind up with a very nice economical cruiser. I'm officially on my best behavior. :D

I just got a chuckle, my wife is real focused on a toilet also. If I could put a flush toilet and a surplus AA first class seat in an Apache my wife would be happy to cross the country at 110 knots reading a book and drinking wine out of a styrofoam cup.

Why not buy a Cheyenne 400LS for $1m and call it good? $1.5m saved will buy a lot of gas.

I've never had a "new" plane and I really doubt I would get a pair of zero time PT6s, new leather, the airframe mods and brand new a Garmin full ride up front for 1 million. If you find a deal like that let me know. :yesnod:

I just got a chuckle, my wife is real focused on a toilet also. If I could put a flush toilet and a surplus AA first class seat in an Apache my wife would be happy to cross the country at 110 knots reading a book and drinking wine out of a styrofoam cup.

Why not replace the copilot seat with a portapotty??

I've seriously thought about that, I'm just not sure I want to add lav. service to my post flight duties.

I can just see myself walking into Million Air with a trash bag full of cat liter.:rofl:

You just need one of these:

230197784.jpg

And one of these:

heavy-duty-stainless-steel-bucket1.jpg

Maybe some of this:

001600_AERO_Potti-Power_Blue-Juice_01.jpg

Same high-tech system used on many turboprop airliners and corporate aircraft.

Last edited:
I've never had a "new" plane and I really doubt I would get a pair of zero time PT6s, new leather, the airframe mods and brand new a Garmin full ride up front for 1 million. If you find a deal like that let me know. :yesnod:

It's still a 421! ;) if you are serious, buy a factory built turbo prop. Either a Conquest I or II. The II's just about all have dash 10 engines now, or find a I with Blackhawks if you like the smaller airframe. :D Fly either one for a few years and sell it for a pretty high % of the purchase price, but the $2.5 million dollars 421, fly it a few years and beg somebody to take it.:mad2::mad2:

http://www.controller.com/listingsd...NE/1975-CESSNA-421B-RILEY-TURBINE/1186785.htm

Last edited:
Didn't realize you were another one of the 310 drivers on here. Keep the 310. ;)

The Pelton 421 seems quite overpriced to me, but I'd like if someone buys them since one day I might want to buy one off of someone else. ;)

Not sure what you and your wife's requirements are in a plane. The Navajo and Cheyenne I flew had a toilet (non-flush) that worked well. The relief tube is really the primary part you need, and (should) require no clean-up. Never flown a 421 to see how that toilet works, probably about the same. Are 340s available with a toilet option?

When I have the refilled Gatorade bottles (my preferred toilet - no STC required and cheap to replace), I just tend to carry them in a plastic bag and then trash them at the garbage can prior to entering the FBO.

Three and a half hours and land is good enough. RV drivers are smart enough to land and take a pee. ;)

We could wear those space diapers! :no:

Buy an RV ( motor home that is ) and you don't have to stop every 3 hours. Plus you would have ,not only a toilet,but a shower too.

You just need a really big pump.

John

Enter the GE90-powered Lancair IV-P.

Expect it to be a little breezy. Forward vis might also be poor. ;)

At 300kt, you could get wherever you need to go before needing to stop for a potty.

Three and a half hours and land is good enough. RV drivers are smart enough to land and take a pee. ;)

We could wear those space diapers! :no:

Once again Mr. G has hit on the obvious solution...... NOW I will buy you a first class ticket and provide premium accommodations for the privilege of watching you convince the better half to buy into it!!! :D

Didn't realize you were another one of the 310 drivers on here. Keep the 310. ;)

The Pelton 421 seems quite overpriced to me, but I'd like if someone buys them since one day I might want to buy one off of someone else. ;)

Not sure what you and your wife's requirements are in a plane. The Navajo and Cheyenne I flew had a toilet (non-flush) that worked well. The relief tube is really the primary part you need, and (should) require no clean-up. Never flown a 421 to see how that toilet works, probably about the same. Are 340s available with a toilet option?

When I have the refilled Gatorade bottles (my preferred toilet - no STC required and cheap to replace), I just tend to carry them in a plastic bag and then trash them at the garbage can prior to entering the FBO.

While the 310 has served us well, I can't take the 310 for extended periods because I share it. For 90% of our trips it will be just two and baggage, but there will be occasional calls for more capacity. For no particular reason other than I want them I would really like turbines and the options they provide. I'm not 100% sold on the Excalibur, but it is intriguing. The low cabin is a drawback, but having something out of the ordinary has a certain egotistical appeal as well. :)

I'll keep you in mind if I get one and then want to turn it!!! :thumbsup:

While the 310 has served us well, I can't take the 310 for extended periods because I share it. For 90% of our trips it will be just two and baggage, but there will be occasional calls for more capacity. For no particular reason other than I want them I would really like turbines and the options they provide. I'm not 100% sold on the Excalibur, but it is intriguing. The low cabin is a drawback, but having something out of the ordinary has a certain egotistical appeal as well. :)

Partnerships do get in the way in that regard, part of why I never got into one. If you're looking at doing primarily long trips and wanted to get a cabin class of that size anyway, then turbines do make sense. The one day I paid for flying the Cheyenne it was worth every penny, and at FL250 we were down to 400 PPH combined, 225 KTAS (tired engines) and pushing 300 KTS GS with a nice tailwind. A Cheyenne with engines that aren't as tired would do better. I miss flying that plane. It would be on the short list.

I'll keep you in mind if I get one and then want to turn it!!! :thumbsup:

Thank you! :cheers:

Partnerships do get in the way in that regard, part of why I never got into one. If you're looking at doing primarily long trips and wanted to get a cabin class of that size anyway, then turbines do make sense. The one day I paid for flying the Cheyenne it was worth every penny, and at FL250 we were down to 400 PPH combined, 225 KTAS (tired engines) and pushing 300 KTS GS with a nice tailwind. A Cheyenne with engines that aren't as tired would do better. I miss flying that plane. It would be on the short list.

Exactly. My wife is interested in seeing New England, the Canadian Maritimes and the Southeast. I want to get back to the Caribbean and Alaska. We will probably stay in Oregon.

I carried a port-a-pot in the back of the 340 with a privacy screen made from pvc and a spring. Perfect for the girls and less than 10% of the 421 project.

Exactly. My wife is interested in seeing New England, the Canadian Maritimes and the Southeast. I want to get back to the Caribbean and Alaska. We will probably stay in Oregon.

If you go up to Canada, make sure to go to St. John's (CYYT). It's a beautiful place, and the people are some of the friendliest in the world. Go in February if you like winter weather, and go in August if you don't.

I carried a port-a-pot in the back of the 340 with a privacy screen made from pvc and a spring. Perfect for the girls and less than 10% of the 421 project.

I like that idea. Now to figure out how to implement it in the 310...

If you go up to Canada, make sure to go to St. John's (CYYT). It's a beautiful place, and the people are some of the friendliest in the world. Go in February if you like winter weather, and go in August if you don't.

CYYT used to be one of our staging stops for Ice Patrol flights. The seafood at Portobello's was a must do!!! :thumbsup:

So are you going to put a deposit down when they get the Excalibur program up and running, or wait until you can test the goods?

CYYT used to be one of our staging stops for Ice Patrol flights. The seafood at Portobello's was a must do!!! :thumbsup:

Ever make it to the Gypsy Tea Room? We got married at Cabot Tower, had our reception in at the Gypsy.

You just need one of these:

230197784.jpg

And one of these:

heavy-duty-stainless-steel-bucket1.jpg

Maybe some of this:

001600_AERO_Potti-Power_Blue-Juice_01.jpg

Same high-tech system used on many turboprop airliners and corporate aircraft.

Don't forget the seatbelt.

Back