Max operating temperature for airplane

The CRJ has a max operating temperature limitation of ISA+35C. At PHX's elevation, that is 48C/118F. At sea-level it would be 50C/122F.
Yup -

CRJ 700/900 = ISA+35

A319/320/321 = ISA +38

B737 700/800/900/MAX = ISA+40

so you do the computation to see what ISA is at your altitude and pressure and voila - there is your max operating temp on the charts.

Really? Gosh, who would have ever thought.
Because we are the only country in the world to use Fahrenheit. I assume that in our arrogance that we make every foreign pilot convert to feet and miles per hour in our airspace, again being the only country that uses these units. Not even the English use English units.

Because we are the only country in the world to use Fahrenheit. I assume that in our arrogance that we make every foreign pilot convert to feet and miles per hour in our airspace, again being the only country that uses these units. Not even the English use English units.
I don't use miles per hour in our airspace. Does someone force you to use miles per hour in our airspace?

In aviation, feet and knots are the standard. I've flown a few places (China, Russia) where they use metric altitude, but speed is still in knots. Wind speed in China is given in meters/sec, but that's a pretty easy conversion (double m/s and you're pretty close to knots). Using metric in aviation is the anomaly worldwide, not the norm.

I wouldn't care to be in a 200 at ISA +35. I would need to sit on a block of ice to even be remotely cool.

Trivia ... Chase Field in Phoenix is the second-highest-elevation stadium in Major League Baseball, behind only Coors Field, Denver. The high density altitude sure helps those home runs -- though Chase has a retractable roof and is air-conditioned in hot weather.

KPHX is only at 1,000 MSL, but right now density altitude is almost 5,300'.

:cool:

KPHX only hit 116F/47C. KEED hit 126F/52C yesterday, also at 1000MSL. That's 5600' DA. KTRM sits below sea level and hit 122F/50C for a DA of 4200'.

I lived in Dubai for there years and most flights are at night. 2am is super busy there. I have only had one out of maybe 30 flights be during daylight.
They do that, for the very reason of avoiding the heat at max loading.

They do that, for the very reason of avoiding the heat at max loading.

They also do it because many of the European destination airports for flights out of the Gulf, such as LHR, have night operations restrictions so they want to time arrival early morning as the airports open & passengers can make their short haul connections.

If I did the math correctly Juneau (PAJN) is -612 DA

:lol::lol::lol: What makes it funny is it is summer...

One winter in Kotzebue I called the on field FSS to get an update on local weather. When he asked me if I needed anything else, I said sure, what's the density altitude.?? He stumbled for a second then said, -4500. I was flying a C-207 that day. Great performance..!!!

Here in Gallup, 1pm, 96F with 9600 density altitude.

I assume that in our arrogance that we make every foreign pilot convert to feet and miles per hour in our airspace, again being the only country that uses these units. Not even the English use English units.

Arrogance? Are you one of those that feels it necessary to apologize for America's presence in the world?

The United States rejected conversion to the SI system mostly due to inertia and lack of national will. The legislative bodies and the citizenry failed to see any benefit. That being the case, why should we have bothered?

I know the arguments for economic and scientific reasons, and I'm not going to rehash them.

I personally find converting SI to English units and vice versa in my head is not difficult.

Last edited:
Here in Gallup, 1pm, 96F with 9600 density altitude.

I grew up in Albuquerque, but in the mid 60s we moved to Holbrook intermittently when my dad's work on the Navajo and Hopi reservations demanded it.

I remember western NM and eastern AZ made for some really bad winters. With Gallup located at an elevation of 6,500' and Holbrook's 5,000', it could really get cold on the plateau.

Back then a blizzard was a life threatening event for the Indians living in hogans heated by a few greasewood and juniper branches on an open fire.

Sometimes in those situations, CH-3 and the occasional HH-43 helicopters based at Kirtland would fly fodder to stranded horses and cattle.

They still do it that way in Alaska.

Yeah, Alaska is last hold out to the bygone FSS days. Think there's like 3 FSS hubs and about a dozen or so at airports. Just like it was in the lower 48 30 + years ago.

Really nice to have the FSS on the field, especially when the weather is down and they can make the visibility call so everyone gets back in.

Well, even a 172 POH has a top limit on the performance charts. With a big not "no extrapolation allowed".
So I wonder, is a 91 pilot breaking the FARs if he takes off in conditions that exceed the charted data? I know we have to "familiarize myself with all takeoff and landing data" (or such) for the intended flight but cannot recall which reg (if any) prohibits us Joe Schmoes from flying in exceedance of charted performance numbers. (and yes, I am too lazy to google it right now)

This may be relevant or not.. but the Op Specs for the carriers (135, 121, etc) requires them to have the data for every operation they will perform.. Intersection takeoff? Got to have the data published for that intersection... Temps? Got to have the data. Their op specs have the force of regulation on the certificate holder and their pilots when operating under the relevant part.

Part 91 is more buyer beware. Nobody is going to care unless you break something or make a scene. Then its 91.3 cutting both ways. 121, 135 and whatnot.. its about staying legal, which is a paperwork exercise. If you dont have the paper, its NOT legal.

At this time stamp, McMurdo is 68 msl, DA is -5058 ft. Amundsen isn't even registering DA, just windchill -138F

This may be relevant or not.. but the Op Specs for the carriers (135, 121, etc) requires them to have the data for every operation they will perform.. Intersection takeoff? Got to have the data published for that intersection... Temps? Got to have the data. Their op specs have the force of regulation on the certificate holder and their pilots when operating under the relevant part.

Part 91 is more buyer beware. Nobody is going to care unless you break something or make a scene. Then its 91.3 cutting both ways. 121, 135 and whatnot.. its about staying legal, which is a paperwork exercise. If you dont have the paper, its NOT legal.

I suppose Op Specs can dictate that but I think it has more to do with the aircraft's POH than anything. Our Bell 407 has a max operating temp of 51.7C and a minimum of -40C. Those are listed in the Limations section so it doesn't matter if I'm 91 or 135, I've gotta comply with it.

Back