Max OAT for

nj-pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
josh_me
How hot was it? Flights were cancelled, apparently reprting that small jets cannot fly in temperatures above 118.

http://abc7.com/weather/temps-in-palm-springs-hit-121-degrees-during-socal-heat-wave/1393903/

I looked in my c172 poh for max oat but couldnt find anything. Understand max landing and takeoff distances go much higher. Did i miss it, or is this just a common sense point?

Edit: backspace and return key too close together on ipad. Thread topic should have said max oat for jets.

All of the jets I've flown have had an ISA+35 deg. C limit. Sounds about like what they're up against there.

I think it's just a matter of not having performance numbers published for those temperatures. It's not that the planes won't fly.

But like always, I think the media took a bit of information that they didn't understand and reported it as fact when it was only partially true.

Something else to consider is that with air temps in the regions above 100F, you have to start watching ramp and runway temps too. I've seen it where the asphalt ramp is so hot that just walking on it leaves impressions.

Something else to consider is that with air temps in the regions above 100F, you have to start watching ramp and runway temps too. I've seen it where the asphalt ramp is so hot that just walking on it leaves impressions.

Plenty of roadbeds buckling in all of the states currently affected by the heatwave. No doubt the ramp/runways/taxiways are subject to the same problems.

I think it's just a matter of not having performance numbers published for those temperatures. It's not that the planes won't fly.

But like always, I think the media took a bit of information that they didn't understand and reported it as fact when it was only partially true.
You mean they don't fall out of the sky at ISA+36?!? Next you'll be saying that flaps and landing gear will operate at 20,001 feet without ripping off of the airplane!:eek:

Even our local idiots newscasters were trying to make themselves seem very important by spewing garbage about how airliners have hard time taking off in 90-degree heat.
A) We have an 11,000' runway here, they'll be okay.
B) 90F is nothing in TX. Will they cease all air transportation above 100F? What about 115? They don't close the airport here just because it is hot.
C) Retarded statements like "airplanes can't fly when it is hot" by anchors is what causes dumb people to panic.

But I feel for the GA guys if they fly in 120F. If I don't have to, I don't. I'd be at home, in A/C.

It's a simple case of the actual temperatures exceeding the top of the performance charts. Boeings generic charts will stop at 120F. They will sell you data for temperatures above that, but you're paying for each serial number that you're using. It isn't cheap either. The last time PHX hit 121F Boeings were stuck on the ground until the temp got below that. The Airbus charts went a little higher, so those guys were able to go.

Even if you're running assumed temperatures and know that the airplane can do it, because you don't have the actual temp charts you're stuck on the ground until it cools off.

It would appear that Canadair RJs charts end at 117F.

Back