Maverick

Going to the movie theater is the only real way to appreciate a movie like that. Like when Apollo 11 came out, I drove an hour to watch it in Imax.

To be honest, I’ve got a crapload of aviation movies on BD but I haven’t bought Maverick and probably won’t buy it. Just can’t see sitting down and watching it again. It’s like when I’m flipping channels at work and a Top Gun or The Right Stuff comes up, ya gotta keep watching it. Maverick, not so much.

Well my Blu-Ray disc arrived today and I was entertained by Top Gun Maverick.

I'm sure glad I didn't drive 110 miles+ into Phoenix to watch it in a theater.

Nuff said.
Curious which movie you feel is "worth it" to drive to a theater for. Top Gun is just about as worthy as anything else. If you've got a 100" screen and 7.2.4 surround sound at home, then yeah, not much is going to be worth going to the movie theater for.

If you've got a 100" screen and 7.2.4 surround sound at home, then yeah, not much is going to be worth going to the movie theater for.

Even with a good 65" screen and a high-end 5.1 surround sound system, I don't go to as many movies as I used to. But I still go for those that I think really need a bigger screen and better sound. Maverick was one.

Of course, I don't have to drive 110 miles to get to a theater, either.

Hey, in the original movie they were able to film them dogfighting with Mig-28s without the use of CG.
I think you are misinformed, or perhaps I missed the joke.

Well my Blu-Ray disc arrived today and I was entertained by Top Gun Maverick.

I'm sure glad I didn't drive 110 miles+ into Phoenix to watch it in a theater.

Nuff said.
Ya FLY to Phoenix to watch it. Then be very careful when flying home lest ye get carried away and get all topgunny like and do something stoopid

When I read the title I thought of this....

images

Going to the movie theater is the only real way to appreciate a movie like that.
Absolutely! I've got a pretty decent home theater but some movies need to be seen on the big screen.
The wife and I opted for the big screen at Cine Capri.

I saw it at a dinner theater. It was overpriced and the food was mediocre, but they did have drink service.
What was it about the cgi that you didn't like? Knowing it was there?

It just looked cartoony to me.

I saw it at a dinner theater. Mediocre food but full bar service. Everything was overpriced including the movie itself.

Another point--this guy is an O-6 when all his pals are Flag rank. What happened to up or out? Passed over twice and you're gone.
And what kind of juice does he drink that gives old guys lightening fast reflexes? I'd like some.

I know it's a movie--get over it. :D

Absolutely! I've got a pretty decent home theater but some movies need to be seen on the big screen.
The wife and I opted for the big screen at Cine Capri.
I saw the original Star Wars at the Cine Capri with my parents. Mom hated every minute of it, thought the music was "fake classical" (John Williams...) but Dad & I loved it. First shot of Warp Drive --- WWWWOWWWWW!

OP I'm with you. I made it approx 3 1/2 minutes in before I said, "You've got to be kidding me!" and shut it off. If most consider this good entertainment, we really are dumbing down.

OP I'm with you. I made it approx 3 1/2 minutes in before I said, "You've got to be kidding me!" and shut it off. If most consider this good entertainment, we really are dumbing down.
I had the same reaction to the opening scene. The whole Darkstar thing was pretty silly. It gets much better though. It definitely has some cheese, but so did the original.

Attention spans are going down to I hear.

Another point--this guy is an O-6 when all his pals are Flag rank. What happened to up or out? Passed over twice and you're gone.
And what kind of juice does he drink that gives old guys lightening fast reflexes? I'd like some.

I know it's a movie--get over it. :D
I did know a Major in the Army that was abrasive and difficult to work with but was an absolute genius at generating usable computer generated forces terrain. He retired at 20+ years as a major. After working on a couple of really big exercises with him I told our team “There’s a reason he’s still here. And there’s a reason he’s still a major.”

The movie was shown Friday evening at the recent Waterbury (CT) fly-in. I thought it was entertaining but hokey, the dialog between the pilots was cringeworthy. But watching it while sitting by a campfire with pilot friends on a nice October night sipping some good Scotch, it was pretty good. :)

The movie was shown Friday evening at the recent Waterbury (CT) fly-in. I thought it was entertaining but hokey, the dialog between the pilots was cringeworthy. But watching it while sitting by a campfire with pilot friends on a nice October night sipping some good Scotch, it was pretty good. :)

Yeah it was hokey, especially at some parts, but that seems par for the course for Hollywood these days. Even the scariest thriller movie has to interject its comical hokey moment. Even if I find some new movies entertaining, they all contain that one eye-rolling moment.

Yeah, hey were supposed to go out and really fight Russian jets. Whatever.

But not as good as 20 T-37 students and instructors on overnight XC, sitting around one of the IP's family ranch house.

All watching Airplane! for the first time. :D

It just looked cartoony to me.

I thought the dark star (based on the SR-71) looked cartoony at the beginning, but almost everything shot was a ground model and the only CGI was in flight. There isn't much external flight footage.

Every flight sequence was performed with a real fighter (F-18? 22? 35?) and reskinned, so it's only the flight sequences that are CGI. That includes the F-14 at the end.

Movie CGI always looks like crap on TV, especially if the TV isn't set up well.

I thought the dark star (based on the SR-71) looked cartoony at the beginning, but almost everything shot was a ground model and the only CGI was in flight. There isn't much external flight footage.

Every flight sequence was performed with a real fighter (F-18? 22? 35?) and reskinned, so it's only the flight sequences that are CGI. That includes the F-14 at the end.

I sort of get the point of "there isn't really much of" but it's the same complaint I have when the opening scene to a war based movie, and probably the only combat scene in the whole film, has troops decked out in the wrong uniforms, and fake looking prop weapons. The rest of the movie might be perfectly fine, but they have already lost me at that point.

I sort of get the point of "there isn't really much of" but it's the same complaint I have when the opening scene to a war based movie, and probably the only combat scene in the whole film, has troops decked out in the wrong uniforms, and fake looking prop weapons. The rest of the movie might be perfectly fine, but they have already lost me at that point.
Me to. Although I think maybe I'd stick around and watch this one.

upload_2022-11-4_11-39-23.jpeg

The thing about this movie vs the original, is that Tom Cruise is such a big name now. In the original, I felt like I was watching a cocky 24 year old fighter pilot. In this movie, in the back of my mind I’m thinking, that’s not Maverick, it’s Tom Cruise and he’s a huge star.

To me this movie just felt contrived. In the first, it seemed unique, spontaneous. I could imagine pilots and RIOs bonding and playing volleyball. In Maverick, it was more like, let’s create a scene so that the actors can show off their abs. The whole thing just seemed predicable to me. Entertaining but predicable.

One word: Haircuts. Obvious actors if they've got their hair too long.

Oh, and a second word: Salutes. Any CAP cadet knows how to salute, Hollywood should be hiring them to teach actors.

Reggie Watts is the music director on James Corden's show. He mocked-saluted once, and I nearly flipped out....he did it right. Turns out he's an Air Force brat.

Ron Wanttaja

Back