Maui Aviators

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Anyone have any experience with them--specifically their Seneca? I am thinking of getting some time out there, and combining it with some sight-seeing.

I've been a few times now, and I've taken an air tour, but I've never done the flying. PM me (or post here) if you want to know anything about the island. I LOVE it!

Or, if your really want to have some fun, Ben, check out maunaloahelicopters.com and get some Robinson time in your logbook B)

Ben:

I will take you up on this, but I'm not going until the end of July. Let's let things get a little riper! But, if you feel compelled to send me something, I;ll sure read it and pass appropriate pieces on to my nieces!!

Dave Siciliano said:
Ben:

. . . . pieces on to my nieces!!

LOL--nice rhyme! Anyway, I'll write something up about it after the trip (Januaury). Every time, I learn so much. Yeah, that's it--the whole thing's a learning experience! Nothin' to do with relaxation.

I've used them twice. I was very happy with them both times, but never opted for the Seneca.

Ghery said:
I've flown with them once, but it was one of their C-172s. Had a good flight with one of their CFIs and my wife.

Oh, and bad news - they lost one of their planes last week when a pilot out of Utah crashed near Hana. http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=6c923045-c4f2-43e4-83eb-95d3fb1f1344& Unfortunately, it was fatal.
That's awful. I wonder why it happened!

I had written them two days ago, and they just wrote me back today about the Seneca. They said that they do rent it for these types of flights.

Hey Ben, I flew with them one time a few years ago. Jon, proprieter, is a great guy that will do all that is possible to help. If there was one thing that caused pause was the cross wind which was close to, if not exceeding, demonstrated x-wind component of the 172.

Thanks, Kevin. There's a good chance I'll be taking up their Seneca and an MEI.

I am covered in jealousy. My Mom just got back with her pictures of the islands. Amazing. Be sure to take some pics to share with us.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Is Maui the only place in the islands one can rent?

No. I have rented out of Honolulu and Kona, as well. No place to rent on Kauai, however. Haven't tried Lanai or Molokai, but have shot T&Gs on both when flying out of Maui and Honolulu (Molokai, anyway). Check the listings for each airport of interest on the AOPA directory. That's how I've found them. Tropic Bird Aviation out of Kona has been great both times I've rented from them.

BTW, I find it more effective to skip the check out and just take the CFI along with my wife when sightseeing. The sightseeing flights aren't typically much longer than the check out, and the CFI serves two useful roles - tour guide and he can pronounce the place names on the radio. :D

Brush up on your cross wind landings. You will need them if you fly in/out of Maui. Kalaupapa on the north shore of Molokai can be interesting, too.

Thanks Ghery the Hawaii guide books I say suggest Maui is not for me... very busy, commercialized & too many people.
Im looking for ocean, (vacant) beach, volcanoes; scenery!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Thanks Ghery the Hawaii guide books I say suggest Maui is not for me... very busy, commercialized & too many people.
Hmm. I guess that's a matter of opinion. The whole of Maui county (includes four main islands) has the same population as our little Columbia, Maryland--about 100,000 people. Certainly Maui is MUCH less commercialized than Oahu and Honolulu. I think you would find everything you are looking for.

One thing, though--the active volcanoes are on the Big Island. But you can fly there in about 30 minutes!

kevin47881 said:
Hey Ben, I flew with them one time a few years ago. Jon, proprieter, is a great guy that will do all that is possible to help. If there was one thing that caused pause was the cross wind which was close to, if not exceeding, demonstrated x-wind component of the 172.

Are you talking about the factory demonstrated X Wind
or actual demonstrated X Wind for a SkyHawk ?

Let'sgoflying! said:

If you want to check out the little strip at the ~north end of the Big Island, it was quite quiet when I was there and may be likeable to you. It's Paupao or something like that I think without digging out the chart for the name and the beach is right there down the bushy grade along side the strip.

I landed at Maui's big-name Hana too of course but didn't do the walk to the beach and there was no one on that black sand beach during the recon. Ironicly, for us flyers seeking out the lush, wave washed location from afar, there was a young man in the pilot's lounge area trying loudly but in vain to melodiously sing 'country' on guitar that was actually quite painful listening both physically and emotionally, as we couldn't help but hear him wail away incessantly on the ocean breeze about his unfullfilled dreams to escape from those tropical shores.

In retrospect now I remember we got a bit of a genuine laugh out of the whole scene albeit primarily at his musical expression's expense ...reality can be so cruel. I hope for future visitor's sake the poor bastard has found relief !

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
If you want to check out the little strip at the ~north end of the Big Island, it was quite quiet when I was there and may be likeable to you. It's Paupao or something like that I think without digging out the chart for the name and the beach is right there down the bushy grade along side the strip.

Upolu (OPP). 3800 foot runway at 96 MSL. 122.9 MHz CTAF. RP for rwy 25. Information current on my most recent Hawaiian IS sectional that expired on October 27. I've driven and flown by it.

BTW, if you wind up on Kauai (where there aren't any rental planes) you have two choices for flightseeing. Various helicopter outfits and Tropical Biplanes (http://www.tropicalbiplanes.com/). My wife and I took a ride with the biplane folks. Way cool. As the pilot noted, they fly slower than the helicopters.

jrdodge said:
I am covered in jealousy. My Mom just got back with her pictures of the islands. Amazing. Be sure to take some pics to share with us.
From Last year: (First three photos from tour on Paragon Air Tours):
1) On the way to Hana
2) Also on the way to Hana
3) North Shore?
4) Kapalua Bay Resort
5) Kahekili Beach Sunset
6) In front of Kihei Surfside, Lanai in background. Look at that Water!

Ghery said:
Upolu (OPP). 3800 foot runway at 96 MSL. 122.9 MHz CTAF. RP for rwy 25. Information current on my most recent Hawaiian IS sectional that expired on October 27. I've driven and flown by it.

BTW, if you wind up on Kauai (where there aren't any rental planes) you have two choices for flightseeing. Various helicopter outfits and Tropical Biplanes (http://www.tropicalbiplanes.com/). My wife and I took a ride with the biplane folks. Way cool. As the pilot noted, they fly slower than the helicopters

Sounds familiar ! TKS.
BTW:
Although there are no rentals on Kuai, it's just an ~ 1 hour's flight over the channel from Oahu and the VORs TO/FR are reliable. All survival equipment will be typically included in the rental and 20 minute VFR position reports to FSS are both mandatory and wise.

is there a sfar or anything restricting ga from the flightseeing traffic such as at the Grand Canyon?

Let'sgoflying! said:
is there a sfar or anything restricting ga from the flightseeing traffic such as at the Grand Canyon?

None that I've run into flying in Hawaii.

wangmyers said:
From Last year: (First three photos from tour on Paragon Air Tours):
1) On the way to Hana
2) Also on the way to Hana
3) North Shore?
4) Kapalua Bay Resort
5) Kahekili Beach Sunset
6) In front of Kihei Surfside, Lanai in background. Look at that Water!

From a past flight in 2004...

1. Short final to Hana
2. Molokini
3. Swimmers at Molokini
4. Short final to Lanai
5. Molokai airport
6. Departing Kalaupapa (north shore Molokai)
7. Short final to rwy 5 at OGG (no, I wasn't THAT high, my wife was using the telephoto...)
8. Our chariot from Maui Aviators.

Another perfect day in paradise... :D

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:

Factory demonstrated 17k x-wind. I'd bet dollars to donuts our x-winds exceeded 17k.
CAVU,
Kevin

kevin47881 said:
Dave Krall CFII said:

Factory demonstrated 17k x-wind. I'd bet dollars to donuts our x-winds exceeded 17k.
CAVU,
Kevin

That's what I figured...
The actual demonstrated X Wind performance by competent PICs is a good deal higher than the factory demonstrated X Wind in most GA aircraft.

From what I recall, it's the largest one they could find the day they were doing that particular test.

Dave Krall CFII said:
kevin47881 said:
That's what I figured...
The actual demonstrated X Wind performance by competent PICs is a good deal higher than the factory demonstrated X Wind in most GA aircraft.

mgkdrgn said:
From what I recall, it's the largest one they could find the day they were doing that particular test.

That could be true and there is also no reason for them to go looking for the real thing and document it in their POA so that some incompetent or excessively landing challenged bozos can go whinning to their mouthpieces that 'the aircraft' didn't do what the factory's POA said it could do.

Ghery said:
BTW, I find it more effective to skip the check out and just take the CFI along with my wife when sightseeing. The sightseeing flights aren't typically much longer than the check out, and the CFI serves two useful roles - tour guide and he can pronounce the place names on the radio. :D
Good advice. I've rented three times at Kona, and twice spent more money on the checkride (with ground + air CFI time) than on the actual touring flight the next day with my wife/friends :eek:. Pay the CFI to come along instead, local knowledge I'm sure is very helpful. Kona in early p.m. is great apt. for X-wind landings (sometimes strong onshore W winds, RWY 17/35) and wake avoidance (UA, AA, JAL) :D. Scenery spectacular, Waipio valley on NE side my fav. as well as the volcano to the S. Did low appch to Upolu on N end on 2 trips but not allowed to land per renter's policy (Hawaii Flight Academy).

Last edited:
Back