Masters Degree

Gucci Pilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Gucci Pilot
Since a good amount of people on here own their own airplanes, I assume a lot of people on here are in positions to hire people or in a position which could possibly require a masters degree.

The Air Force will pay for a large majority of my masters degree. Problem is I am not sure what I want to get it in. My undergrad is in management. I'm not entirely sure what I would like to do when I retire from the Air Force or when that would be. Due to my schedule it would almost have to be online and I do not want it to consume all of my time because I do have a full time job.

MBA, Herriot Watt? If you don't know what you want, a general MBA seems to make the most sense.

MBA, Herriot Watt? If you don't know what you want, a general MBA seems to make the most sense.

I've been leaning towards the general MBA. Not super stoked about standardized testing(the GMAT).

Since a good amount of people on here own their own airplanes, I assume a lot of people on here are in positions to hire people or in a position which could possibly require a masters degree.

The Air Force will pay for a large majority of my masters degree. Problem is I am not sure what I want to get it in. My undergrad is in management. I'm not entirely sure what I would like to do when I retire from the Air Force or when that would be. Due to my schedule it would almost have to be online and I do not want it to consume all of my time because I do have a full time job.

Don't you have to get a master's for the Air Force to promote you anyways? If all you are doing is checking a box, find something relatively simple. I did my bachelors online with AMU. They have masters degrees.

Don't you have to get a master's for the Air Force to promote you anyways? If all you are doing is checking a box, find something relatively simple. I did my bachelors online with AMU. They have masters degrees.

It keeps changing. As of right now, no.

Have you looked at the Herriot Watt program through the University of Edinbrough?
I haven't. I'll take a look at it.

An MBA is a good thing to have. You can teach in a Community or Jr. Collage.

I used TA to earn one master's degree; later the AF sent me to AFIT. My undergrad was in engineering, as was my AFIT masters. The one I did with TA was in systems management. I've leveraged both over the years both within and outside the AF.

Now retired from the AF and in a position to hire people, there a very few positions that specifically require a masters degree. Rather, there are usually requirements for years of experience, and if you have a relevant masters degree you will get credit for 1 or 2 years experience.

Do not get a masters degree just to check a box. Either study a field that will give you relevant knowledge and skills that will be of value to you and your employer, or pick a subject for your own personal interest (art history, religion, etc). If you go the later route, just don't expect it to count in the job market. Depending on the opportunity you are seeking, I wouldn't even put it on your resume.

I would think that just about anything with the word "engineering" would be worth pursuit. As far as being noteworthy on a resume.
Or you could be like my sister and get master in Veterinary science, then go to work as a welder in a trailer factory.

What is the purpose of an MBA if you are a business undergrad? Sure, they can go more in-depth about some things, but most of the things I have seen with MBAs are designed for people who didn't have a business degree to start with. If you are going to get a masters degree, at least specialize in something to set yourself apart. I'm not sure that the true percentage is, but I'd wager that of master's degrees pursued, over a quarter of them are MBAs. Get a Masters in Finance, IT, Human Resources, whatever, just not a generic MBA.

Next point of contention is why you feel the need to have a Masters at this point? Has it limited your job/earning potential? If you haven't had at least 5 years of experience in the field of work you intend on pursuing as a career, I'd probably pass. I don't hire accountants because they have a Masters degree (or CPA) and a year of real-world experience. 9 times out of 10, I'll take the guy/gal with a BA/BS and 4 years of experience over the fresh CPA right out of school. I don't have time to babysit.

My .02.

Last edited:
What is the purpose of an MBA if you are a business undergrad?

He will always be at the head of the stack of resume's compared to those who don't have one, all other things equal. When jobs are tight, having the degree will show the value.

Sure, they can go more in-depth about some things, but most of the things I have seen with MBAs are designed for people who didn't have a business degree to start with. If you are going to get a masters degree, at least specialize in something to set yourself apart. I'm not sure that the true percentage is, but I'd wager that of master's degrees pursued, over a quarter of them are MBAs. Get a Masters in Finance, IT, Human Resources, whatever, just not a generic MBA.

I haven't looked at all course catalogs for grad schools, but most don't offer a "generic MBA". You have a concentration/major etc. That is what sets up your depth of your classes. I am sure that there are some in "management", but you would have focused management classes. (There likely are "general business" options at some schools, again, more indepth than the undergrad.

Next point of contention is why you feel the need to have a Masters at this point? Has it limited your job/earning potential? If you haven't had at least 5 years of experience in the field of work you intend on pursuing as a career, I'd probably pass. I don't hire accountants because they have a Masters degree (or CPA) and a year of real-world experience. 9 times out of 10, I'll take the guy/gal with a BA/BS and 4 years of experience over the fresh CPA right out of school. I don't have time to babysit.

My .02.

Him having or not having an MBA will not change your time allocated to "babysit". And, just as you would take the "BA/BS and 4 years of experience" you would likely also take the M"BA/BS and 4 years of experience".

It won't hurt him, and, if it is something he has the time and the desire to do, it will likely pay off for him.

The problem I see with the "online option" is you lose the networking and interaction with other students who can offer value. Something to be said for that.

The problem I see with the "online option" is you lose the networking and interaction with other students who can offer value. Something to be said for that.

Some of my classes were designed with partners and group assignments. You can make it work, just not face to face.

I would think that just about anything with the word "engineering" would be worth pursuit. As far as being noteworthy on a resume.
Or you could be like my sister and get master in Veterinary science, then go to work as a welder in a trailer factory.

Well.. As long as she is welding up trailers that haul livestock, then she can draw a connecting line between masters degree, her talent and the end product...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't have an MBA, but my brother does, and he says an MBA in finance will always be useful to companies. FWIW, YMMV, YYY.

He will always be at the head of the stack of resume's compared to those who don't have one, all other things equal. When jobs are tight, having the degree will show the value.

Possibly. It entirely depends on the job being applied for. If I need a general staff accountant, I'm probably not looking for people with master's degrees for it, exclusively. Most people with graduate degrees and requisite experience are not going to settle for bachelor's degree compensation and title. Your statement will be entirely dependent on the specific job applied for. Also, my response included a question about his experience level. Experience trumps paper in almost every case, at least in my profession (accounting/financial analysis).

I haven't looked at all course catalogs for grad schools, but most don't offer a "generic MBA". You have a concentration/major etc. That is what sets up your depth of your classes. I am sure that there are some in "management", but you would have focused management classes. (There likely are "general business" options at some schools, again, more indepth than the undergrad.

Most of the programs I investigated have a "General MBA" program, and then they offer "specializations" or "focuses" if you want to look at a particular field (like energy, entrepreneurship, etc). If everyone gets a general MBA, then he's just one of the many. If he decides to go with a Masters in Finance, or Master's of Accountancy, or even MBA/JD, he's set himself apart from the crowd. YMMV

Him having or not having an MBA will not change your time allocated to "babysit". And, just as you would take the "BA/BS and 4 years of experience" you would likely also take the M"BA/BS and 4 years of experience".

I respectfully disagree. While there may be that diamond in the rough who is able to jump right into a mid-level job as a wet-behind-the-ears accountant, most of them have never used accounting software. They have never had to conduct business meetings or deliver financial results other than maybe in some group project in school. It takes a lot of time to teach/hone those skills, many times a few years. So the accountant with no Masters who has used Peachtree, or SAP, or CostPoint, MS Solomon, etc for a few years can jump in and with a chart of accounts and be productive with little instruction.

Again, there will always be exceptions to the rule. In my experience, I've had to work with a number of new CPAs who honestly make me lower the value of a CPA. I have worked with people having Masters degrees in other fields that I can't fathom how they graduated with a BA/BS, much less the Masters. I have worked with non-degreed employees who can work circles around CPAs because of their experience level.

So, my question for the OP, is what is his current experience level, and what is it he is wanting to do? No doubt that a Master's degree will likely pay off in the end, but is now the correct time to do so and is it necessary for his chosen career-path? If I were the OP and I had no idea what I wanted to do after I finished with the service and/or flying, I would probably wait and evaluate my needs once that point was closer to realization. No point in building an ark if you don't predict a flood, unless you just enjoy building arks.

Last edited:
It keeps changing. As of right now, no.

If it is anything like the Navy, it is a 'tie-breaker' at the selection board. IOW, while not a requirement for promotion, as more and more folks get the degree, you can find yourself at a disadvantage if you don't have it.

I've been leaning towards the general MBA. Not super stoked about standardized testing(the GMAT).

All graduate programs require a standardized test. MBA uses MCAT; to get my MS Engineering, I took the GRE. At least now, you walk away from the test center with your score in your hand. And they aren't that hard.

To build a Masters in Engineering off a BA in business is a stretch of a recommendation any way you look at it. The remedial coursework alone would be a major effort before he can start. Plus you are assuming he is an engineering type person. What in his record presented indicates that?:dunno:

There are really no paths to an Eng masters degree without an undergrad in an eng school. I don't know of any accredited college that will let him in. Also, doubt you can find an online eng grad program that is worth more than the pigskin.

An MBA is one of the check mark degrees when you get into director level or VP level mgmt situations. Or, if you want to run a financial trading program you pretty much have to have an MBA.

There are really no paths to an Eng masters degree without an undergrad in an eng school. I don't know of any accredited college that will let him in. Also, doubt you can find an online eng grad program that is worth more than the pigskin.

An MBA is one of the check mark degrees when you get into director level or VP level mgmt situations. Or, if you want to run a financial trading program you pretty much have to have an MBA.

True, MS Eng requires BS Eng. but I took the exact same GRE as all other MA / MS candidates. He's trending away from the MBA because of the required MCAT.

My point is ANY Masters program will require one or another standardized test. Get over it, or pass on grad school.

If he wants a "check box," there are many online programs that will take his money and impart a transcript, some records and a piece of parchment paper. How much knowledge they impart is up to the student.

It makes little sense to get a masters in engineering with business undergraduate. But conversely, I know plenty of engineers with an MBA for a grad degree. Useful for engineers in a corporate management position.

I don't plan on getting a Masters in Engineering. And I'd have no problem taking the GMAT/GRE, I'm just saying I wouldn't enjoy it and I have no idea how to study for it.

I don't plan on getting a Masters in Engineering. And I'd have no problem taking the GMAT/GRE, I'm just saying I wouldn't enjoy it and I have no idea how to study for it.

Just like flying, you buy study books and learn/work the material and take mock tests.

If you go into a MBA program within about 3 years of your undergrad, and you're grades were pretty high there, some univ will let you skip the GRE/GMAT if agree to not take more than a few courses in your first semester, and you'll be on double secret academic probation for your first two semesters. I never took the GMAT when I applied to grad school, and just went with the probation and class limit. I got my undergrad in EE from UCLA, and had decent grades. Grad school was a walk in the park academically.

If you go into a MBA program within about 3 years of your undergrad, and you're grades were pretty high there, some univ will let you skip the GRE/GMAT if agree to not take more than a few courses in your first semester, and you'll be on double secret academic probation for your first two semesters. I never took the GMAT when I applied to grad school, and just went with the probation and class limit. I got my undergrad in EE from UCLA, and had decent grades. Grad school was a walk in the park academically.

I'd be totally ok doing that. My undergrad GPA was a 3.8

I'd be totally ok doing that. My undergrad GPA was a 3.8

Ask the grad admissions advisor. Some place like Hahvahd would never do that, other places pretty common. Not usually advertised.

I never took a GMAT/GRE etc. I just started taking classes as a continuing education student because I liked them. After 6 classes the instructor mentioned I was half way to the MBA so I should start taking the core classes. Made sense to me so I went to the registrar and applied to change status from continuing education to degree seeking and they did. I had 6 classes with good grades so the admissions officer yawned and approved. Regardless, most programs allow 9 or 12 credit hours to be taken outside the program and transferred in so I'd recommend signing up for a class or 2, if you like it, then go for it. Even if you have to take the exam later it won't matter much if you have a track record with the school.

I never took a GMAT/GRE etc. I just started taking classes as a continuing education student because I liked them. After 6 classes the instructor mentioned I was half way to the MBA so I should start taking the core classes. Made sense to me so I went to the registrar and applied to change status from continuing education to degree seeking and they did. I had 6 classes with good grades so the admissions officer yawned and approved. Regardless, most programs allow 9 or 12 credit hours to be taken outside the program and transferred in so I'd recommend signing up for a class or 2, if you like it, then go for it. Even if you have to take the exam later it won't matter much if you have a track record with the school.
yup...same here. I never took those tests and just started taking classes.

It was just more of the same as the undergrad. Classes and a scholarly paper is what my MS- Engineering degree ended up looking like.

Steer your MAsters Degree towards finance.
Go where the money is.

I'm in a similar situation in that I'm AD and want to get a masters. One thing I've decided is that I'm not going to do the online check in the box from a joke "university" for a degree that's only worth the paper it's written on. I know guys that went to top 5 schools while on their b-billets / shore tours... it can be done.

I'm in a similar situation in that I'm AD and want to get a masters. One thing I've decided is that I'm not going to do the online check in the box from a joke "university" for a degree that's only worth the paper it's written on. I know guys that went to top 5 schools while on their b-billets / shore tours... it can be done.

Good point, with any of the Distance Learning programs you have to look at industry recognition of the program. That is one of the bonuses with the Herriot Watt program.

I feel the exact same way

It makes little sense to get a masters in engineering with business undergraduate. But conversely, I know plenty of engineers with an MBA for a grad degree. Useful for engineers in a corporate management position.

Yeah, but you can grab a Masters in IT without having to go back and take 3 years worth of Math courses. Mix that with an undergrad business degree and you're in there.

Yeah, but you can grab a Masters in IT without having to go back and take 3 years worth of Math courses. Mix that with an undergrad business degree and you're in there.

Good point. CS engineering is a different animal.

I'd suggest either an MBA or something with the word 'engineering' in it.

When I was in the USAF I 'checked the box' by getting an 'MS in Management Science', which was an MBA with the hard stuff removed.

I wish I had a real MBA, this degree means something in the private sector. These 'off brand' MBA's are fine if you want to work for the government or in education after you retire, where they check a box.

But in the true private sector these 'soft' Management master's degrees don't count nearly as much as real MBA.

IT <> Eng.

Frankly, I don't know what Masters IT guys do. I've never hired one, and never run across one at work. But - I'm strictly tech, so maybe they do front office stuff, or non-tech admin, etc.

I'd suggest either an MBA or something with the word 'engineering' in it. . .

. . . But in the true private sector these 'soft' Management master's degrees don't count nearly as much as real MBA.

Agreed. Either get the Masters from an accredited university or don't bother. If I see a University of Phoenix on a resume, I basically ignore it. I've seen the coursework examples for a BS/BA from them, and it's almost comical. If the OP plans on working at an investment firm or some east coast blue chip, the Northwestern/Harvard/etc schools seem to be looked at with adoration. Go to the southwest/midwest, and University of Missouri/Oklahoma/Texas/Arkansas seems to carry equal weight for an MBA.

Agreed. Either get the Masters from an accredited university or don't bother. If I see a University of Phoenix on a resume, I basically ignore it. I've seen the coursework examples for a BS/BA from them, and it's almost comical. If the OP plans on working at an investment firm or some east coast blue chip, the Northwestern/Harvard/etc schools seem to be looked at with adoration. Go to the southwest/midwest, and University of Missouri/Oklahoma/Texas/Arkansas seems to carry equal weight for an MBA.

I'd love to get it from one of those universities. Only problem is, it would have to be online.

Back