Mastering the Cessna 182 ?

............Also 80MPH over the fence is fine but it’s still a lot of energy you need to get rid of to land just above a stall. You can work that a lot slower with practice....../QUOTE]

Denver,

Isn't this where the discussion moves to what flap setting to use on landing ;)o_O:confused::mad::D

Kevin

I just finished reading the Skylane pilots companion, what a great resource! I've got a bunch of tips and things to try out next time I fly. :)

I just finished reading the Skylane pilots companion, what a great resource! I've got a bunch of tips and things to try out next time I fly. :)

I’m too chicken to set my Coke on the floor for a whole flight. ;)

One of the best tips was about using the carb heat to keep the carb temp at least 40 degF during the winter. My plane has a JPI engine analyzer that displays carb temp. Makes it very easy to keep tabs on it.

DenverPilot has it nailed. Trim, trim, trim. Trim is your friend in a 182. Did I mention that you should trim a 182?

I've got far more time in a 172 than a 182, but I do have over 80 hours in the 182. I love it for cross country cruising. Very comfortable. It's also the plane where I've needed carb heat. When you keep having to add power to hold your altitude or speed it's trying to tell you something.

A fast way to get started with a 182 is to think of it as a 172 on steroids. Two extra controls (prop and cowl flaps). Different V speeds. But, as noted by others, there's far more to it than that. Go forth and have fun. It really is a nice plane to fly.

Back