Mastering Steep Turns

write-stuff

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
write-stuff
If you're working on steep turns at the private pilot level, take a look at this freebie. It might just help you understand them a bit better.

www.GoldSealGroundSchool.com/extras/steep-turns

steep-turns-blogthumb.jpg

Actually all of their stuff that I have seen is pretty good.

Considering that this is on my Sunday practice list - Nice Timing :)

Thanks!

I love steep turns. During the commercial checkride, I realized I was grinning ear to ear during steep turns. The only thing I don't like is having a plane that isn't supposed to go past 60 degrees of bank.

I love steep turns. During the commercial checkride, I realized I was grinning ear to ear during steep turns. The only thing I don't like is having a plane that isn't supposed to go past 60 degrees of bank.

I've never been in one that did, or, if I did, it was an attitude indicator malfunction

Did steep turns during my night flight the other night. Very strange to transition from keeping my eyes outside as much as possible during the maneuver to almost completely inside. I stayed within PTS but it wasn't pretty!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

And I love hitting my own wake!

Steeps are my favorite maneuver. Thanks for the link

And I love hitting my own wake!

"That's a good bump produced by your airplane.... imagine if it was a bigger wake" .... a lead-in for the wake turbulence avoidance discussion.

Actually, that wake descends after you make it, so if you cut through it you've also descended a bit.

Dan

Less so if you make steeper turns, just because they take less time.

And the wake is made mostly by the wingtips, so they will need to descend more than 15 feet (18 for 60 deg turns) for you to miss the upper one with the lower wing.

Back