Master engages starter

I recall a few years ago in Boise ID an avionics tech was working on an 182 on an outside ramp, seats-out under the panel when he happened to touch the wrong two circuits together. It cranked and started the fresh OH'ed engine with a wide open throttle, charged across the ramp back into the shop when the new prop among other things got into a bucket of bolts throwing shrapnel all over the shop and other airplanes.

C206p
1965, io520
I have that problem also, replaced master and starter solonoids, have the shunt and the shop still hasnt found the issue, its quite disturbing, thanks in advance
I would recommend before replacing any more parts a simple exercise of troubleshooting with a schematic, a VOM, and a test light will get to the problem at hand.

But when they are converted to light weight after market starters and key start, you can configure them to be wired hot and seeking ground thru the start switch.
Agreed, but then it would be key start; it would no longer be the T-handle cable manually pulling against a spring on the contactor arm to mechanically connect the power from the master switch contactor (solenoid) to the starter motor.

You would think so. I taxied to the ramp and shut down (79 182), picked up passenger and hit the master and the prop started spinning. Stuck starter contactor. I assume I turned off the key just as I thought the prop was done spinning. Now I consciously wait before turning the switch off.

Jim
Exactly, thats why i changed out the (original) solonoids, after the prop started turning after master switch on, we rapped on the contactors and it went back to normal, the original contactors were rusted on top and bottom, this on a hangared AZ and CA plane, but still persists, Will advise,, thanks

Exactly, thats why i changed out the (original) solonoids, after the prop started turning after master switch on, we rapped on the contactors and it went back to normal, the original contactors were rusted on top and bottom, this on a hangared AZ and CA plane, but still persists, Will advise,, thanks
In this case the starter would have been running the entire time from last start.

Years ago and this was back in the 1990's I had the prop start turning inside the hangar on a T210M, when I turned on the master switch, had the solenoid replaced and went flying a few nights later,now the starter was running, replaced the solenoid again. Problem solved.

The problem was that whoever the manufacturer of these solenoids back then had made a whole bunch of defective solenoids according to a very good Cessna Service Center, they had seen this quite a few times.

Years ago and this was back in the 1990's I had the prop start turning inside the hangar on a T210M, when I turned on the master switch, had the solenoid replaced and went flying a few nights later,now the starter was running, replaced the solenoid again. Problem solved.

The problem was that whoever the manufacturer of these solenoids back then had made a whole bunch of defective solenoids according to a very good Cessna Service Center, they had seen this quite a few times.
Am I to understand that yes the starter does run the entire time the engine did, when this happens?

Seems like it would be the last flight for that starter, I maintained a C310 that had the starter solenoid hangup and ran the starter on the left engine, it was smoking on landing, someone opened the cowl door and shot fire ext. inside the engine compartment and mad a real mess

Am I to understand that yes the starter does run the entire time the engine did, when this happens?
Correct, it does not run during the flight, if it did we would see amperage issues , so i am told, and eventually destruction

Correct, it does not run during the flight, if it did we would see amperage issues , so i am told, and eventually destruction
How could the contractor stick during the last usage, and not run the whole flight ?

Back