Massive Candian Low Pressure System

It was rather windy in the Nebraska / Iowa area this morning. I had 175 knots over the ground in a Cherokee 180 at 7,000 ft. The surface winds in Lincoln were a little lower then forecast, a friendly 35 knots, which made for a relatively easy landing (compared to the 40 I was expecting).

Today was the first time I think I've hit my head on the ceiling of an airplane. I decided my seatbelt should be a little tighter after that.

JesseWeather works well for looking at the pressure changes:

Last edited:
It was rather windy in the Nebraska / Iowa area this morning. I had 175 knots over the ground in a Cherokee 180 at 7,000 ft. The surface winds in Lincoln were a little lower then forecast, a friendly 35 knots, which made for a relatively easy landing (compared to the 40 I was expecting).

Today was the first time I think I've hit my head on the ceiling of an airplane. I decided my seatbelt should be a little tighter after that.

Nice flying yesterday Jesse,
Thanks again for the ride,
Clay

windier than your flight review?

<SNIP>
Shoulda' taken the C-150 and practice VSTOL

You know the saying about the three most useless things in aviation...well, in those winds in a C-150, runway behind you might be darned useful.
C-150 on a treadmill?

BTW my hangar suffered minor damage in the windstorm. A couple pieces of flashing (one about 2 ft and one 6 ft long) blew off and the longer one ripped my internet link antenna off the mast (I think it caught the wire going to it). A friend's hangar faired worse, his entire roof came off and damaged a power pole, some power lines, and the electrical service mast for his and two other hangars. His airplane is a T34 and for some reason, he had left the canopy closed which isn't his standard practice. The closed canopy protected the cockpit from the rain.

Back