Maserati showed up at the hanger wanting pics...

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
Maserati showed up at the hangar wanting pics...

For those of you not interested in muddling through my student progress thread, I thought I'd post up a few pics from last night. As I taxied back to the hangar there was a group of guys with a Maserati wanting to take some pics of the car with the planes. Shot a few pics of my own for the forum:

(Edited to fix a typo/autocorrect of "Hanger" to "Hangar" - Thanks Harley!)

Last edited:
Nice plane where they looking to trade the car?

Nice plane where they looking to trade the car?

Ha! Nope, just wanted a photo shoot I guess. I heard more than one mention that the car would go faster than the plane. I just told them that might depend on the angle of the plane's descent... :D

Ha! Nope, just wanted a photo shoot I guess. I heard more than one mention that the car would go faster than the plane. I just told them that might depend on the angle of the plane's descent... :D

The Maserati Grand Tourismo is a nice car and fast, but it won't make the same speed across 100 miles :no::lol:. The maintenance bills on one make a 172's look downright cheap.:rofl:

Hate to say it, but that car ain't very pretty. The plane is though!

Keep the plane.

Hate to say it, but that car ain't very pretty. The plane is though!

Keep the plane.

Really? The Ft Lauderdale boat show just ended, and along with all the yachts on display there is always the complete contingent of high dollar cars from Ferrarii, Bugatti, Maserati, Aston Martin, Mercedes, Lamborghini... And I always thought the Maserati Gran Tourismo was one of the sharper looking. My favorite from the category is the Mercedes SLS, then the Ferrari 612, but a close 3rd is the Maserati GT.

2013-maserati-granturismo_100420403_l.jpg

I think they look better in white, although, they probably should've been taking pictures with jets on the ramp instead of a 172 :rolleyes:

The Maserati Grand Tourismo is a nice car and fast, but it won't make the same speed across 100 miles :no::lol:. The maintenance bills on one make a 172's look downright cheap.:rofl:

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw on an MG

"The parts falling off of this car are of the finest British manufacture"

- - and where's this "hanger" about which you reference? I don't see it in any of the pictures.

Yeah, really.

It looks to me like a bunch of old retired Datsun 280z engineers designed it. No creativity at all.

But, you know what they say, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

The Maserati Grand Tourismo is a nice car and fast, but it won't make the same speed across 100 miles :no::lol:.

Yup, you should have let him pick an airport 50-100 miles away and raced him there for pink slips. ;)

Yeah, really.

It looks to me like a bunch of old retired Datsun 280z engineers designed it. No creativity at all.

But, you know what they say, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

The 240 (and hence 260 & 280) z cars were modeled to look like the old Ferrari Daytona, I thought they looked pretty good.:dunno: Lamborghinis are the ones I think are ugly, and the Veyron looks like a VW bug on steroids (which it basically is.:rofl:)

They asked that I close the door, Harley, so they would have a better background for the pics. LOL!

The comment was about the use of hanger (upon which your clothes are stored in a closet) vs hangar within which one houses an aircraft.

- - and where's this "hanger" about which you reference? I don't see it in any of the pictures.

IF U CN RD THS U CNT SPL WRTH A DM

Anyone who can only think of one way to spell a word obviously lacks imagination.

I have no respect for a man who can spell a word only one way.

Never trust anyone who can’t spell a word more than one way.

He must have little genius who can’t spell a word in more than one way.

I never had any large respect for good spelling. That is my feeling yet. Before the spelling-book came with its arbitrary forms, men unconsciously revealed shades of their characters and also added enlightening shades of expression to what they wrote by their spelling, and so it is possible that the spelling-book has been a doubtful benevolence to us.

Okay, ya got me Harley, that's what I get for not catching my iPad's autocorrect I guess. Not once, but TWICE. Ugh...

Okay, I'll fix just because some of our OCD tendencies will continue to bother us... Thanks for the catch!

Heh heh yeah, it's a nice car, but no car is a hundred grand nice. Honestly cars don't excite me anymore.

The Ferrari 458 Spyder is $354k:eek: there were a couple of million dollar cars at FLIBS as well....

I think a better fit would have been a jet, or least a turboprop.

I always found the Quattroporte to be a nicer car.

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw on an MG

"The parts falling off of this car are of the finest British manufacture"

I remember an MG restoration shop in Santa Clara that had a similar bumper sticker for sale. I nearly bought it to put on my 1976 MG Midget. :D

I always found the Quattroporte to be a nicer car.

The Quattroporte is a nice car, but I've known two people who owned one, and both kept it only about a year or so, and then got rid of them. They said they spent more time in the shop getting repaired than on the road.

I remember a few years ago, when I was looking around for a "fun car" for myself, going through the SF Bay Area Craigslist postings, and noticing quite a few Quattroportes up for sale, and they all seemed remarkably cheap - in the $60k range for cars that were only a year old or so. I guess they don't hold their value very well.

I happen to like Maserati's designs, but I would probably never own one.

A Ferrari 438 or Lamborghini Aventador, on the other hand... :)

The Quattroporte is a nice car, but I've known two people who owned one, and both kept it only about a year or so, and then got rid of them. They said they spent more time in the shop getting repaired than on the road.

I remember a few years ago, when I was looking around for a "fun car" for myself, going through the SF Bay Area Craigslist postings, and noticing quite a few Quattroportes up for sale, and they all seemed remarkably cheap - in the $60k range for cars that were only a year old or so. I guess they don't hold their value very well.

All those cars spend more time in the shop than on the road.

The car was probably rented, and apparently the plane not even. No doubt those shots will be part of some Carlton Sheets-style 'get rich flipping property with no money down' real-estate infomercial soon enough, blinged up with some starburst effects and added graphics saying 'Get Yours Today!'

Truly nice plane, though.

I met one guy who owned a Quattroporte. It was his wife's daily driver, replacing a BMW 740iL. He also was replacing his RX-7 with an Aston Martin V8 thingamagig, the newer smaller one. No idea how long he kept them for, but I'm sure he was in for an unpleasant maintenance surprise on both. He walked about the Maserati having much better exclusivity. Personally I just found it to be an absolutely stunning car.

But I wouldn't be that likely to ever buy one. I'd instead buy something reliable like a Jaguar. :D

The car was probably rented, and apparently the plane not even. No doubt those shots will be part of some Carlton Sheets-style 'get rich flipping property with no money down' real-estate infomercial soon enough, blinged up with some starburst effects and added graphics saying 'Get Yours Today!'

Truly nice plane, though.

Thanks. The Archer is my trainer at the school. The 172 is nice and I've flown it once, but need some more practice and will do so after my checkride. The school also owns another 172 and an Arrow that it is fixing up for training use...

Sweet car!!!

Need some bikini girls to make the pic complete.

A Ford Fusion looks almost the same but only a fifth the price.;)

A Ford Fusion looks almost the same but only a fifth the price.;)

When I saw the current body style Fusion, my first thought was "Wow, they took some notes from Aston Martin."

2013-ford-fusion-hybrid-interior-3.jpeg

Aston-Martin-DB9-wallpaper-8.jpg

Kinda like a few year ago when one of the Jags looked just like a Taurus. I used to call them Taurusuars.

Kinda like a few year ago when one of the Jags looked just like a Taurus. I used to call them Taurusuars.

Tim,
This is off topic, but I never understood the context of your sig. But today on our way home to Florida from Phoenix, (in our 172, like in the OP) we stopped in Austin TX. And had a great lunch at a place called Lamberts. Great bbq, but three glasses of wine, two entre's and a bowl of chili came to a bit over $100. Is that the Lamberts to which you refer? And is the $100 why you don't let friends eat there? On to Apalachacola tomorrow for some oysters.

Tim,
This is off topic, but I never understood the context of your sig. But today on our way home to Florida from Phoenix, (in our 172, like in the OP) we stopped in Austin TX. And had a great lunch at a place called Lamberts. Great bbq, but three glasses of wine, two entre's and a bowl of chili came to a bit over $100. Is that the Lamberts to which you refer? And is the $100 why you don't let friends eat there? On to Apalachacola tomorrow for some oysters.

Wine at Lambert's? :dunno::rofl:

Not the one to which I'm referring.

Spend $100 at Lambert's? :rofl:

Not the one to which I'm referring.

Get $100 worth of lard that'll clog your arteries for $5.99? :yes:

Now THAT'S the Lambert's to which I refer! :wink2:

www.throwedrolls.com

It's incredibly popular with pilots. Why? I certainly don't know.

Last edited:

As a recovering Jaguar nut, I personally haven't been a fan of any Jaguar made after 2003.

I do like the F-Type.

Aston has had some ... stunning is the only word... cars in the last five years.

I do like the F-Type.

Aston has had some ... stunning is the only word... cars in the last five years.

I had a DB-7 as my crew car for a summer, that was nice although I'm glad I also had a company credit card to pay the fuel bill. Even driving conservatively it was a fuel hog.

Back