Marvel Mystery Oil or Camguard?

"Vintage"

MMO is fancy creme de minthe for engines. Smells nice, but doesn't do anything.
fe653c0d495833a7c917450b39a9025e.jpg

Last edited:
Some thing I have always wondered about.

Why hasn't a reputable testing lab done a definitive study on these oils?
and given an answer to the ops question?

We all can smell the oil of winter green in MMO.
Here is the toxicity of it :
Further information: Methyl salicylate § Safety and toxicity
One milliliter (20 drops) of oil of wintergreen is equivalent to about 1860 mg of aspirin, or almost six regular-strength adult aspirin tablets.

Treatment is identical to the other salicylates. Early use of hemodialysis in conjunction with maximal supportive measures is encouraged in any significant ingestion of methyl salicylate.

SO, I guess if your engine has a headache, ---->

Some thing I have always wondered about.

Why hasn't a reputable testing lab done a definitive study on these oils?
and given an answer to the ops question?
there is data for CamGuard.....

Camguard independent lab test reports have been available for many years. That some guys ignore them? Their problem. MMO test results? None that I've seen. Heck, it's light mineral oil mixed with Varsol. Does it work as a solvent? Yes, and it works pretty well in my experience. Does it work as a top oil? Anecdotal evidence would support that it does, and my experience supports that, too. Add Seafoam to the list. It's pretty much light mineral oil with isopropyl added. Does it help? Sure, if your engine would benefit from light oil and isopropyl. Are any of them fix-all elixers? Nope. Pick the product for the application. Pretty simple stuff. I have MMO and Camguard on my shelf all the time. Seafoam costs way too much for what it is so I just keep a case of iso HEET around instead.

"Vintage"

MMO is fancy creme de minthe for engines. Smells nice, but doesn't do anything.
fe653c0d495833a7c917450b39a9025e.jpg

Nonsense

NY has been experimenting giving MMO to sewer rats for decades

How else’s do you think you go from this

imgres-2_400x400.jpeg

To this

o-ANDREW-CUOMO-facebook.jpg

All jokes aside, don’t use MMO, but as I will not fly my plane for stretches of time I do use cam guard with my XC oil.

Last edited:
oil labs....

guess what changed when the iron levels went down?....

I’m too cranky for guessing games today. Just tell me.:mad::D

I run the multi-vis AeroShell. The guy that developed the formulation says it’s got the same compound as Camguard. He said unless I’m using a single vis, the Camguard does not help. He said tests showed that too much of a good thing actually hurt. He was of the opinion that guys like him go through all the trouble to test and formulate, then we change the formula based on anecdotal info. I know I do that. I added Camguard at my last multivis oil change. He said either dump the oil or just dilute it out with single vis as oil goes down. I don’t run my oil for 50hrs anyway, so there’s that.

I’m too cranky for guessing games today. Just tell me.:mad::D

I run the multi-vis AeroShell. The guy that developed the formulation says it’s got the same compound as Camguard. He said unless I’m using a single vis, the Camguard does not help. He said tests showed that too much of a good thing actually hurt. He was of the opinion that guys like him go through all the trouble to test and formulate, then we change the formula based on anecdotal info. I know I do that. I added Camguard at my last multivis oil change. He said either dump the oil or just dilute it out with single vis as oil goes down. I don’t run my oil for 50hrs anyway, so there’s that.

That's not entirely true from what I was told. But I haven't used Aeroshell 15-50 for the better part of 20 years since Ben Visser told me I should get away from semi-synthetics to resolve my oil leaks and starter adapter slipping. He never told me how much less blow-by I'd have and how my breather drool would be reduced when I went to Phillips but I've appreciated his advice ever since. :)

Aeroshell 15-50 w/ Camguard is shown in the test reports on Camguard's website. In the ultimate test, the one with bearing pressure? Phillips with Camguard was the best performer. If you're having a hard time understanding the results send an email to Camguard. Ed Kollin used to be really good at explaining them. He may have staff do it now, but the information is very interesting.

did you read the attachment? We know Tom didn't....

Phillips 20W50 and Camguard is the ticket....

I did, but was looking for something to bite me. I guess if your calcium went up, you started using an additive? Camguard?

I did, but was looking for something to bite me. I guess if your calcium went up, you started using an additive? Camguard?
nothing to bite....cept Tom's trolls.

This was posted numerous times since 2010....the iron went down after I started using Camguard with Phillips. Google it...there are many current articles on the subject.

I only use MMO in oil, and on the flight before my oil change. I can’t measure it, but it did seem to cure my morning sickness problems.

Tom

I only use MMO in oil, and on the flight before my oil change. I can’t measure it, but it did seem to cure my morning sickness problems.

Tom
How do you know running a mix of auto wouldn't have done the same thing?

nothing to bite....cept Tom's trolls.

This was posted numerous times since 2010....the iron went down after I started using Camguard with Phillips. Google it...there are many current articles on the subject.

Ever notice, when you question some people you are trolling?
Not one single post in this thread shows a definitive report on the benefits, of MMO.
Know that Cam Guard works, I have several customer use it and 20-W-50.
But the only reports I see on it are written by Ed Kolin (sp) guess who he is.

Somebody I trust a lot more than.... you? ;)

Test labs that use established standardized tests eliminate cheating. Liability for false claims is a bigger deterrent. Yep, that's a pirep.

Just sayin, there ain't anybody with out an axe to grind that is going to give a us a report.

You believe it works, you do it.

I knew this was covered before, allow me to quite...me

Those are CamGuard's tests, not independent. Suggest checking Aviation Consumer for independent test results, which show positive results for most oils, but no significant advantage to adding CamGuard to Exxon Elite.

There was a test on backcountrypilot or the supercub forum, camguard worked well.

Here's another test.

camguard_humidity_cabinet_test.gif

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/oil_myths_debunked_197096-1.html

Camguard is really for engines that may sit, for a busy flight school or working plane I wouldn't bother, but for most GA guys, it's worth it.

There are times my plane may sit for nearly a month, especially in winter time where it's often IFR, which is not a problem, with the freezing level right on the deck, bad combo for a non FIKI plane, especially one with floats.

I use camguard and 20w/50 in my IO-520D, I change the oil and filter every 30hrs, it's about the cheapest maintance you'll ever do.”

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?31190-ASL-Camguard&s=cffb2fc9ef28f57587c61ca808d8a792

Back