Mars

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
Have you amateur astronomers been checking out Mars lately? That dusty little sucker is bright now, and will be its brightest in 15 years when we hit opposition on July 26. Take a look.

Like the sign says at the entrance to the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff:

We must already send a person to Mars. When will this happen? Somebody knows?

Have you amateur astronomers been checking out Mars lately? That dusty little sucker is bright now, and will be its brightest in 15 years when we hit opposition on July 26. Take a look.
I'm planning to. We have a nice new 8" Celestron that's only been used once this summer. The only problem, of course, is the global dust storm going on right now, so we won't see much in the way of surface features.

At the same time I want to take a look at Saturn, whose rings are inclined 26* right now and should be a pretty spectacular sight.

Working on a program right now that will be sending a spacecraft to Europa

Last night was a solar system smorgasbord -- even my basic photo equipment could image four planets (not counting the one I was standing on) and five moons.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 10.13.55 AM.png

Venus (upper center):

P7241215.jpg

Mars, upper left:

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 10.15.40 AM.png

Jupiter, at upper right:

P7241224.jpg

And Jupiter with four of its moons:

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 10.14.32 AM.png

Saturn:

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 10.14.54 AM.png

Mercury might have been barely visible as well, but for the glare just after sunset.

Last edited:
It's pretty cool to watch Jupiter's Galilean moons through binoculars. Since they move in relatively small orbits, it doesn't take long for them to change position. Every night is different.

You have a pretty nice vantage point for those shots, too.

Working on a program right now that will be sending a spacecraft to Europa
COOOL! To orbit, or to land? When launching? Details!!

"All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landing there." I'm sure no one quotes that all the time on your project. :)

COOOL! To orbit, or to land? When launching? Details!!

"All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landing there." I'm sure no one quotes that all the time on your project. :)

For orbiting. They have these crazy sterilization requirements because they don't want to contaminate Europa if/when the satellite crashes into the moon. Our group is doing some material testing to understand the affects of the "sterilization bakeout" that our product has to go through in order to meet these requirements.

There were other options such as hydrogen peroxide vapor and radiation exposure, but a byproduct of HPV is water of course, and the radiation exposure would wreak havoc on EEE parts.

Here is info on the program:
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/europa-clipper/

We just have to be sure the earth does not obstruct the view of Venus from Mars ...

One of the Mars rovers has Marvin painted on it.

I was a volunteer at Denver science museum in 2003 ( the last Mars event!) and we took over the theatre, and the Mars exhibit to watch the landing at 3 am or so. The museum TPTB saw the reaction and allowed the public in for the second landing. Don't remember if they added the IMAX for that one. Definite advantage that the Space Science Head Honcho at the museum was a college friend of the Principal Scientist for the rovers.

Perseid meteor shower is due in a couple of days. Excellent animation showing what causes it: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180808.html
Not a bad animation and it shows the basic idea, but it is hard to see the inner planets because of all the comet dust, and especially hard to tell which is which. Earth must be the blue one very close in to the Sun that is hidden for most of the year by the dust. Hmm. That can't be right.

Back