Marriage proposal from the air

sferguson524

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FormerSocalFlyer
All,

I am thinking of proposing to my girlfriend from the air. Have the logistics worked out (having her friends write it on the beach), but i wanted to know the best way to get ATC to watch my back as i fly her by it at about 500-1000' just offshore.

If she says no, don't face plant the thing.

All,

I am thinking of proposing to my girlfriend from the air. Have the logistics worked out (having her friends write it on the beach), but i wanted to know the best way to get ATC to watch my back as i fly her by it at about 500-1000' just offshore.

Why would you do it in controlled airspace? There's a lot of beach that doesn't fall into a category where ATC has any say at all.

Find that spot - get the GPS coordinates, send her friends there, boom - problem solved.

it's all uncontrolled, just wanted another set of eyes.. Was thinking of doing it just west of OKB

it's all uncontrolled, just wanted another set of eyes.. Was thinking of doing it just west of OKB

Aha! Safety, I forgot about that feature of ATC.

I think you might be better off not calling ATC in case they try to vector you around and screw up your plan.

plus you don't want a controller trying to talk to you while you're trying to propose. that will ruin the mood.

Aha! Safety, I forgot about that feature of ATC.

I think you might be better off not calling ATC in case they try to vector you around and screw up your plan.

+1...

Nuttin worse then a great plan gone bad by vectors in the other direction:yikes:

I agree with the safety apsect, but in this case, I think it is appropriate to squawk 1200 and just make sure you're not heading for any airspace or cumulogranite.

Good luck! :)

And no fake engine failures like the other recent proposal that made the rounds.

Great advice everyone. im damn sure she will say yes. she has been bugging me about picking up the ring
`

Great advice everyone. im damn sure she will say yes. she has been bugging me about picking up the ring
`

We want video of how you actually get down on one knee inside of a C172.

won't be a one knee proposal.. but i have some surprises for her up my sleeve. and i HAVE gotten on both knees of the seat of a 172 to pee.

won't be a one knee proposal.. but i have some surprises for her up my sleeve. and i HAVE gotten on both knees of the seat of a 172 to pee.

Thanks for the visual :rolleyes:

So I was going to say, it is possible to get down on one knee to propose... Seat belt off, push the seat way back, then position yourself towards your loved one...

But then it started to sound like a setup for this accident. So never mind. :D

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001212X18632&key=1

I am just not picturing this? How vertically challenged are you? Were you peeing out the window?

i'm 5'11 but was trying to pee in a portable urinal. at the time i was about 270 or so, so the belly made things difficult

Oh man, just use a plastic Pepsi bottle like the rest of us. And good luck!

Oh man, just use a plastic Pepsi bottle like the rest of us. And good luck!

A tip from my primary instructor: If it's gatorade you drink, buy any flavor but lemon-lime.

Think about it for a sec....

y'all crack me up. I can't wait to show her this thread after the deed is done.

Excellent idea. My wife and I got married in the air. We were in two Provost jets flying in formation over Linder Field in Lakeland. Did the vows over the radio and the ring thing on the ground after we landed. She was a good sport, even wearing a white jumpsuit and parachute.

Excellent idea. My wife and I got married in the air. We were in two Provost jets flying in formation over Linder Field in Lakeland. Did the vows over the radio and the ring thing on the ground after we landed. She was a good sport, even wearing a white jumpsuit and parachute.

Man, you put me to shame. I proposed to my wife at a Halloween party then we went for some Taco Bell. I think we rode our bicycles home after that.

:lol:

Geez..... I can't beat that..:nonod:

Go for it! I proposed to my bride in a hot air balloon, I've got a very close friend that flies them and I've been his crew chief for years. It was on her "bucket list" to take a hot air balloon flight, I told her "I think I can arrange that..." and the rest was a surprise. Turned out great.

Nobody really knows if she said yes or not, she made a bunch of funny squeaking sounds and teared up and gasped for air, but she took the ring and put it on so I figured I was good...

Now she says she wants to fly in a fighter jet, not so sure how I'm gonna pull that one off.

Nobody really knows if she said yes or not, she made a bunch of funny squeaking sounds and teared up and gasped for air, but she took the ring and put it on so I figured I was good...

That's funny!

If you are not in controlled airspace just ask for flight following and explain you want to fly north or south along the beach at 1000' for 20mi or whatever.

Its helpful because a lot of AC like to fly up and down the beach.

Flight following. No vectoring. Tell'm you're sight-seeing along the beach.

On second thought, I don't know whether radar goes below 1000 feet.

Given the airspace around there, flight following might be a good idea, and blasting off for 20 miles in either direction will get the Feds "very interested." Restricted airspace to the north, Class D, B, and Mexican airspace to the south.

There is a small area suitable for circling west AND SOUTH of the airport. Don't loiter off the departure end.

I'd think Del Mar beach down to UCSD (under the Miramar Class B) might get you a bit more margin for error. You could go almost south to Mission Bay (but not quite) before pushing the KSAN Class B surface area.

Too bad you're not further north. There are quite a lot of suitable beaches around where I live. Most of it is Class G, but you're "requested" to traverse it at 2000 instead of 1000 because of the marine reserve.

I know -- take her to Catalina. That's barely 50 miles away. Then you don't have to worry about the guaranteed massive distraction and bust airspace (or worse).

Last edited:
Man, you put me to shame. I proposed to my wife at a Halloween party then we went for some Taco Bell. I think we rode our bicycles home after that.

:lol:

I joined the navy, then on liberty weekend after bootcamp it was "Hey, let's go get married at the courthouse if you really want to be with me." We're celebrating our 9th anniversary this year. ^_^

You may want to do a practice run, just to make sure the letters are big enough to be seen from the air. Also do it at low tide more sand to use, and less chance of a errant wave messing things up.

Great idea.

Doug

You may want to do a practice run, just to make sure the letters are big enough to be seen from the air. Also do it at low tide more sand to use, and less chance of a errant wave messing things up.

Great idea.

Doug

Hopefully no one else flies over with their girlfriend, that has a similar name.

Back