Mark, Tom and Brook go to Ocracoke a passengers view

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
Its very early Sunday morning and my alarm starts to ring. "Oh geez, its Sunday morning and I am not supposed to wake up this early. Besides I was up till 3:30 this morning working on homework." My room is still dark, and I am tempted to go back to sleep. Yet I had to think for a moment, "Why am I waking up this early?!?!?!?!? OH YEAH IM GOING TO OCRACOKE BY PLANE!!!!! I jump out of bed, get dressed, and pack something for a snack. Mark then pulls into my driveway to pick me up.

I introduce myself to him and he does the same to me as we shake hands. On the way to the airport I learn some interesting things about Mark, that I have really known him for a much longer time than just three days, or at least some of my family has.

We arrive at the airport (JNX) and drive out to Marks hangar. He opens the doors slowly. I can't wait to see what his plane looks like. There she is, a 182 RG, in excellent condition. She stands there and salutes her owner, for her colors are red, white (well more beige than white) and blue. She lets Mark know that she is ready to serve him once more.

Mark then showed me another plane that he used to own. This one a 172. She was also a nice looking bird. Then we went back to the hangar for Mark to preflight the 182.

While Mark preflighted I ran to the FBO to check on a few things as we waited for another passenger. Tom arrives at the airport. "Hi Tom, good to see you again." I hop in the back seat then Mark pulls the plane out of the hangar. Then Tom and Mark hop into the plane as well. We wait for a Mooney to pass (I thought of my fellow Mooney owners, Michael, and John...love you guys ;-)) then Mark started his plane.

We taxi out to runway 3, as I have done many a time on the same runway, and Mark explains emergency procedures incase of...you got it....and emergency. The runup is done and we let the plane warm up a little bit more before taking off.

We take off...nicely done Mark...and we are off to Ocracoke. I look back at the runway behind us as we are making our turn. Wow what a nice view. We head into the clouds. This is my 1st time IFR in a "little plane" and I was loving every minute of it. I was thinking to myself...ok, where is the sick feeling your supposed to feel while being in IMC? Luckly I had none. We broke out of the clouds but there was still another layer above us. It was beautiful up there.

It seemed like in no time we were at Ocracoke. I look out my window helping look for holes in the clouds. We came out of the clouds over the ocean. The water looked rather choppy. Mark and Tom spot the airport, and we get ready to land. It was rather bumpy upon landing, and Mark had to talk his to his beloved plane and tell her to be good. The mains touch, and then the nosewheel. ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL AND SMOOTH LANDING!!!!!

Mark and Tom secure the plane as I was getting out. Then we had a nice couple who used to be from HPN, nonetheless, drive us to one of our destinations so we could pick up a car and drive to lunch. We had lunch at Howards Pub. My 1st time there as well. I have heard many people talk about how great Howards Pub is & they were right. We order lunch. I had the shrimp salad burger while Tom had a burger, and Mark a crab cake. Thanks Tom for picking up the tab. I owe you lunch one day. Maybe when you become a PP!!!!!

After lunch we dropped off the car, and then walk back to the airport. About a 15 minute walk. With the winds the way they were, it was like walking against it and your are still standing up. Luckly the temp. was a bit brisk, which ment we had to walk briskly. We probably made it to the airport in under 15 minutes, but I wasn't counting because I was enjoying it.

When we arrived back at the airport there was this sandy driveway where people could go and drive on the beach. While Mark and Tom went to preflight the plane, I went and saw the beach. I mean ya can't go to the beach, and not set your feet on the sand. Once again...very breezy.

I walk back to the plane, and the guys are finishing up the preflight. I hop in the back, and we all get settled in for the flight back to JNX. We taxi out to the runway and take off. I still had my camera out from taking pictures of the beach. I managed to take some during take off, and as we were starting to go into IMC.

On the way back...I was really relaxed, and started dozing off every now and then. When I finally came too Mark and Tom were like...."So did you have a nice nap?" NAP?!?!?!? I was just resting my eyes, hah hah hah. Mark then said, " like it when my passengers are able to relax like that."

When we arrived at JNX Mark and Tom shot an ILS approach. We land, again, very nicely done. We then taxi to the hangar, and put the plane up until her next flight.

I would like to say Bravo Zulu to both my captain and my first officer for such a wonderful experience. A trip I will never forget.

Attachments

• ocracoke 209.jpg
    ocracoke 209.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 39
  • ocracoke 238.jpg
    ocracoke 238.jpg
    709.7 KB · Views: 58
  • ocracoke 254.jpg
    ocracoke 254.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 72
  • ocracoke 252.jpg
    ocracoke 252.jpg
    845.6 KB · Views: 56
Second that, very cool. 182RG has got to be my favorite airplane for going places. Looks like you had fun!

Brook,

Great write up. It was really a pretty scuzzy day to fly. We didn't get the showers that were forecast, but we had everything else that was forecast. Low ceilings, lower ceilings later.

The biggest problem was getting a clearance to get out of Ocracoke. No radar coverage, long way from Cherry Point. The legs you see poking out from under the plane in Brook's post are mine using Tom's cell phone to call Cherry Point to get my clearance. "Climb to 7000, direct to Pungo (38 miles away) contact me on 124.1 or 119.75" 10 minutes after departure we were finally radar contact and cleared direct JNX. Never saw the sky or ground the whole trip back until the approach. Had to wake Brook up to watch the ILS.

All in all a fun day was had by all. I really enjoyed showing Tom and Brook around Ocracoke. Thanks for helping me get the POS beach car started guys. The grins continued after the plane was put in the hanger...

BrookandTom600x450.jpg

What a great day!

Thanks for writing it up, Brook! Good job! :D

It was my first go in IMC in one of them small airplanes, and let me tell ya, it was great! Very educational - Mark was kind enough to let me fly on some of the outbound leg, in and out of clouds (though I wasn't paying attention - had my eyes glued to the panel like a roulette player down to his last five dollar chip!). It was a lot of fun, a lot of work and a fair amount of stress, to boot! Mark makes it look a LOT easier than it actually is, thankyouverymuch! AND he hid the yips and small lunges for the yoke that I'm sure he was doing, inside - which I appreciate a lot. :D

Man, if I could find me a big ol' pot of money, I believe I'd have me one of those 182 RGs! A BIG ol' pot o' money!

It was great, y'all - we have to do it again sometime. Oh, and I would like to point out that I'm really MUCH more handsome than I appear in all these photographs!! Much. . . I mean, gosh, I MUST be, right?

Last edited:
HPNFlyGirl said:
OH YEAH IM GOING TO OCRACOKE BY PLANE!!!!!
So Ocracoke IS a real, not just a place you listen to drunk singers. ;)

Everskyward said:
Well, it's actually both those things! :D I mean, if you're lucky!

HPNFlyGirl said:
Its very early Sunday morning and my alarm starts to ring.

Great writeup, and sounds like a fun trip. We need to try and have a lunch flyin sometime soon for us SE people at some neutral spot, maybe CLT? Maybe GSP? Somewhere with great eats.

Off the top of my head, there's you all, Carol, Lance F, John H (with the 172), surely others that would like a quick SE gather.

Bill Jennings said:
Great writeup, and sounds like a fun trip. We need to try and have a lunch flyin sometime soon for us SE people at some neutral spot, maybe CLT? Maybe GSP? Somewhere with great eats.

Off the top of my head, there's you all, Carol, Lance F, John H (with the 172), surely others that would like a quick SE gather.
Rutherfordton (FQD)? 57A Cafe is small but very good.
http://www.flying-food.com/Rest/KFQD-1.htm

Everskyward said:

Yes, a long way from Colorado. I miss Ocracoke. Its one of those places you just have to visit.

Mark, that is a very nice RG.

Great story, Brook, and glad you all had a good time! (I had to look close at those raindrops on the wing strut since my first thoughts were :hairraise: YIKES--ICE! See what living in the frozen North does for one? heh heh)

Great pics!

terry

Bill Jennings said:

I'm in!

Good write-up Brook. BTW what's the identifier for Ocracoke?

terzap said:
Great story, Brook, and glad you all had a good time! (I had to look close at those raindrops on the wing strut since my first thoughts were :hairraise: YIKES--ICE! See what living in the frozen North does for one? heh heh) Great pics! terry
Heh, that was one of my jobs - let him know when the raindrops stopped moving!

So when I asked him "what's that snow-looking stuff all over the struts?", he sort of didn't answer for a second, 'till I laughed . . . :D

There's comfort knowing he can't just throw ya out at 7K'! (um, can he?) :D

Anthony said:
Mark, that is a very nice RG.
Thanks Anthony. When you going to come get your ride?

etsisk said:
Heh, that was one of my jobs - let him know when the raindrops stopped moving!

So when I asked him "what's that snow-looking stuff all over the struts?", he sort of didn't answer for a second, 'till I laughed . . . :D

There's comfort knowing he can't just throw ya out at 7K'! (um, can he?) :D
Tom,

1. You did a great job of looking at the rain drops - except when you were staring at the panel (ever see a deer in the headlights?)

2. I told one flight instructor I was going to throw him out of a plane if he ever shut the fuel off again. I could do the same to you. Might be a struggle though. :)

NC Pilot said:
Thanks Anthony. When you going to come get your ride?

I think we'll be back for weddings and to check the property in April and July. Maybe we can hook up then!

Anthony said:
I think we'll be back for weddings and to check the property in April and July. Maybe we can hook up then!
Let us know. We can probably fly close to your location and get together.

NC Pilot said:
1. You did a great job of looking at the rain drops - except when you were staring at the panel (ever see a deer in the headlights?)
Hey, you want scintillating conversation or you want straight and level? Make up yer mind. You can't have both.

NC Pilot said:
2. I told one flight instructor I was going to throw him out of a plane if he ever shut the fuel off again. I could do the same to you. Might be a struggle though. :)
I can ASSURE you there will be a dang struggle!!!! :eek:!!!!

:D

NC Pilot said:
The grins continued after the plane was put in the hanger...

BrookandTom600x450.jpg

What a great day!

Looking at those grins you could convince me that they had a good time. :D

Ghery said:
Looking at those grins you could convince me that they had a good time. :D

You could convince me they were up to something:yes:.

Back