Marijuana Possession

I have a friend who is a nurse and he uses marijuana. Normal person, good at his job, together, etc. Just likes it because it makes him relax. I never smoked anything, so its just not something I want to do.

I hope this guy is not a critical care nurse or anybody who deals with acutely ill patients. I would not want him taking care of me if I get sick and he has used within the last few months.

I have a friend who is a nurse and he uses marijuana. Normal person, good at his job, together, etc. Just likes it because it makes him relax. I never smoked anything, so its just not something I want to do.
He'd better watch out. The first random drug screen that turns out (+), he's in a world of hurt.

I don't have anything more to add to this subject but I thought it was amusing that I was in a Signature FBO yesterday and I could not open this thread from their pilot lounge computer because it was in a banned category of subjects, "Marijuana".

He'd better watch out. The first random drug screen that turns out (+), he's in a world of hurt.

I haven't been in this situation in a long time, but back in the 1970s I shared shop space with a person who was the closest thing you could find to a marijuana addict, which prompts my question:

Do people test positive from exposure to second hand marijuana smoke?

If he works in Texas and fails a drug screen in Texas, he will be in a world of hurt license wise...

IF he's allowed to keep his license, he will be going to NarcAnon every day for a year, unable to dispense or handle controlled substances for that year, subject to regular scheduled as well as frequent random drug tests, and you must have a coworker who is willing to supervise your practice, including administer any controlled substances your patients have ordered.

Bust ANY of those conditions during that year and your license is suspended on an emergency basis, then forwarded for revocation by the board. You can be on your day off and if they call you in to be tested, you come in, or its a bust. Given that MJ is detectable for weeks after use, its really really not worth it, even if its use was legal where it was ingested.

If he works in Texas and fails a drug screen in Texas, he will be in a world of hurt license wise...

Added to that, if something went wrong while he was working, he might be looking at some serious criminal charges....

Whether you want marijuana to be legal or not, the bottom line is this: reefer and things that matter don't mix. Substitute any other drug or narcotic, including booze, for "reefer" is also appropriate.

Added to that, if something went wrong while he was working, he might be looking at some serious criminal charges....

Whether you want marijuana to be legal or not, the bottom line is this: reefer and things that matter don't mix. Substitute any other drug or narcotic, including booze, for "reefer" is also appropriate.

Including a lot of prescription drugs many of which are consumed daily by those same workers.

You can be on your day off and if they call you in to be tested, you come in, or its a bust.
"You got to be a stupid mother to get fired on your day off."

Attachments

• smokey-+-friday_large.jpg
    smokey-+-friday_large.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 254
It's definitely not good for you but I doubt that many (any?) people smoke the equivalent of a pack or two a day of pot.

Marijuana is inhaled much more deeply into the lungs than cigarette smoke.
Marijuana smoke is held in the lungs five times to ten times longer than cigarette smoke.
Marijuana has no filter to cool the smoke and the marijuana smoke enters the lungs hotter than cigarette smoke.
Marijuana has no filter to remove the tar from the smoke, and tar is removed by cooling the smokestream.
Marijuana smoke has more tar than cigarette smoke.

Marijuana is inhaled much more deeply into the lungs than cigarette smoke.
Marijuana smoke is held in the lungs five times to ten times longer than cigarette smoke.
Marijuana has no filter to cool the smoke and the marijuana smoke enters the lungs hotter than cigarette smoke.
Marijuana has no filter to remove the tar from the smoke, and tar is removed by cooling the smokestream.
Marijuana smoke has more tar than cigarette smoke.

Marijuana has no ill effects on the lungs. I have been smoking the stuff for almost 45 years and I smoke it a lot everyday.
Every time I have my chest x-ray the doctors tell me I have the lungs of a healthy non smoker.

is it addictive? Yes

Will you die from using to much? No You will get fat.

Back in the early 70's you purchased the stuff in what was called "lid's" This was measured by using ones hand. The stuff was put in a baggie and you measured it with your hand. A full 5 fingers was a good "lid" 4 fingers was not as good...lol

I smoked a lid a day...

Marijuana has no ill effects on the lungs. I have been smoking the stuff for almost 45 years and I smoke it a lot everyday.
Every time I have my chest x-ray the doctors tell me I have the lungs of a healthy non smoker.
I'd like to see full PFTS (pulmonary function tests) and a high resolution CT before coming to that conclusion.

I'd like to see full PFTS (pulmonary function tests) and a high resolution CT before coming to that conclusion.

They did a stress test a few years ago. Doctor told me I am a healthy person. Past without a problem.

They did a stress test a few years ago. Doctor told me I am a healthy person. Past without a problem.
You can't say somebody has healthy lungs based on a stress test. You can't even exclude coronary artery disease based on a stress test and that was a few years ago.

Pot makes you stupid.

Because Nancy Reagan said so. Oh and that movie from the 1930's also said as much. You know what is truly stupid believing everything politicians, movies, and teachers tell you.

Because Nancy Reagan said so. Oh and that movie from the 1930's also said as much. You know what is truly stupid believing everything politicians, movies, and teachers tell you.
Maybe, but the pot smokers I have met are not impressive people.

Maybe, but the pot smokers I have met are not impressive people.

Correlation doesn't prove causation. Anyway I would bet the path goes the other way Unimpressive people-> become obvious and heavy pot smokers.

I think his question also had to do with how the FAA will deal with marijuana if it is decriminalized in your state. I think that as far as the federal government is concerned it is illegal as it has ever been. Will those ticketed for marijuana possession be required to report it to the FAA when they apply for a medical?

If I get stuck in a nursing home with no hope of ever piloting any aircraft I might start using the stuff myself, self prescribed for aviation withdrawal syndrome.
I can't speak to the FAA specific slant of this question, but as someone that has a federal security clearance I can say that federal law applies to federal rules/governing bodies. For me, personally, that means that unless/until the federal government says that marijuana is legal, I cannot legally consume it. Period.

Colorado having already headed down the legalization path, I happily voted to add a 15% tax to all pot sales in this week's election. Let the potheads pay for some stuff. Yay. LOL.

(Oh and boy are the "medical" marijuana businesses ****ED that the taxation vote happened so fast after the legalization vote. Ummm. Duh?)

Just when the results of the cigarette smoking epidemic are tapering off somewhat, we are getting a new source of work :thumbsup:.

It's the particulate matter in the smoke that causes the inflammation and lung damage, not whether the smoke contains nicotine or THC. That's why we dont see much lung disease in pipe smokers. Small uncontrolled 'advocacy' studies nonwithstanding, I fully expect to see end stage lung disease in pot smokers down the line. Took a while for the damage from cigarette smoke to become glaringly obvious, in time, we will se a fair amount of business from the potheads.

Just when the results of the cigarette smoking epidemic are tapering off somewhat, we are getting a new source of work :thumbsup:.

It's the particulate matter in the smoke that causes the inflammation and lung damage, not whether the smoke contains nicotine or THC. That's why we dont see much lung disease in pipe smokers. Small uncontrolled 'advocacy' studies nonwithstanding, I fully expect to see end stage lung disease in pot smokers down the line. Took a while for the damage from cigarette smoke to become glaringly obvious, in time, we will se a fair amount of business from the potheads.
Hopefully, we will still get paid for doing our job. Some people think it is unethical for us to profit from other people's misfortunes, self inflicted or not.

Hopefully, we will still get paid for doing our job. Some people think it is unethical for us to profit from other people's misfortunes, self inflicted or not.

Yeah, unfortunately that guy is the head of the advisory council on the current healthcare remake. It's 1100 days to election day 2016, oh well.

I cannot believe this string is still going.
If anyone has any doubt about the FAA medical branch not going away, it is because of the legions of folks like this string's OP.

sigh.

I cannot believe this string is still going.
If anyone has any doubt about the FAA medical branch not going away, it is because of the legions of folks like this string's OP.

sigh.

Even if we were all tee-totalers with pristine medical histories, that bureaucracy wouldn't ever go away, Doc. :) Don't tease us like that. :)

Bruce never said that. What you have is your own personal interpretation of a Federal Air Regulation, and that has no legal weight. The only good way to find out whether your interpretation is correct is to address your question to the FAA Chief Counsel....

Before you go writing to the FAA, PLEASE contact the AOPA, EAA, or NBAA legal department, or an aviation knowledgeable lawyer!!!!!!!! Ask them your question!!!!! Or at least ask them how to phrase your question to minimize the damage to the aviation community that an FAA answer can cause!!!!

Writing to the FAA can and often does have the unintended side effect of creating a new pseudo-FAR out of thin air, which in turn can become a significant PIA for the whole aviation community!!!!!!!

And I can promise you with 99% certainy that the FAA legal team will provide the most restrictive possible answer to your question!

In short, DON'T ASK THE FAA A QUESTION IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE ANSWER!!!!!!!!! :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

I can't speak to the FAA specific slant of this question, but as someone that has a federal security clearance I can say that federal law applies to federal rules/governing bodies. For me, personally, that means that unless/until the federal government says that marijuana is legal, I cannot legally consume it. Period.

See Gonzalez v. Raich for a clear ruling on the applicability of federal drug laws in states that have "legalized" pot.

I wonder what the justices were smoking when they decided that growing something for personal use was interstate commerce?

I wonder what the justices were smoking when they decided that growing something for personal use was interstate commerce?

They followed the precedent of Wickard v Filburn that held that growing your own seed wheat is interstate commerce.

Those are the justices I'm asking about: the ones who set that precedent.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back