March equinox

Woo Hoo...!!! Spring is here..!!
You best believe, It was 78 degrees here yesterday, and today it's 70 already. It is like mama nature hit the summer switch.

Today in Germany marks the crossover where we have more daylight than back home in Illinois. I live at the equivalent of Winnipeg on a north/south basis.

It's currently snowing here. And it was 60 last week.
Huh. We're at about 60 right now, and last week we had a couple feet of snow on the ground.

Right before it rained for three days.

Huh. We're at about 60 right now, and last week we had a couple feet of snow on the ground.

Right before it rained for three days.
been watching news, that can't be fun.

been watching news, that can't be fun.
The flooding is pretty extensive, with lots of damage to roads and a lot of farms underwater. Fortunately they hadn't planted yet, but lots of livestock lost. I really feel for the people who will spend their spring and summer repairing damage or looking for a new place to live. I can't even imagine how badly that must suck. It's why we won't even look at houses near creeks, lakes, or rivers unless they're well above water level... and by "well above" I'm talking 20-50 feet at least.

I got in 5.7 hours flying people in and out of a town near here that's cut off from Omaha. 25 minutes each way in my pokey little RV-12. Got a few people to and from work (my daughter included), and there was a busload of college kids who had flights home out of Eppley (KOMA). Our own little mini Berlin Airlift.

Equinox and the full moon. They are not tied together somehow are they?
Despite my many years of observing the night skies, and being near one of the country's premier observatories, celestial objects still seem to swirl in some annoyingly random pattern that I can't figure out.

Hey, about a week ago, my daytime length = nighttime length (according to the weather station I use).
A week later it's equinox.

I thought the two were equal at the equator on equinox?
I am at 30°N.
(right now... ie equinox, I have a 9-minute difference in day vs night)

What's going on there??

Despite my many years of observing the night skies, and being near one of the country's premier observatories, celestial objects still seem to swirl in some annoyingly random pattern that I can't figure out.
The only time the equinox or solstice is related at all to a phase of the moon is when they are used together to determine the date of a holiday by those whose customs base them on lunar cycles. Many such holidays fall on the first full or new moon after an equinox. However, there is no direct relationship between the two celestial events.

Super moon at that.

No. They are not related. The lunar cycle is around 27.3-29.5 days depending on the point of reference. The equinoxes are tied to the Earth's tilt and the sun - around 365ish days +/-

Every once in a while they happen to line up, but they are independent events.

Super moon at that.

Which happens because the moon has a slightly elliptical orbit, and sometimes the full moon occurs at/near perigee (closest point in orbit - supermoon) and sometimes at it's apogee. And sometimes in between. This is also why sometimes we get a total eclipse, or an annular eclipse.

I win; it was snowing last week, and it's 60° here!
It was in the '80s here last week, but this week it barely made 70. We are looking at the mid to upper '70s for the next couple of weeks.

Why do people continue to live in those areas that seem to have drastic floods every couple of years. We have hurricanes, but they aren't usually nearly as devastating as floods.

Because their cost of living is about a third of what it is where you're at.

Why do people continue to live in those areas that seem to have drastic floods every couple of years. We have hurricanes, but they aren't usually nearly as devastating as floods.
We wonder the same thing about people who continue to live in those areas that seem to have devastating hurricanes every couple of years.

Back