Many shots fired, I'm getting down.

wbarnhill said:
But what if the tornado knocked on the door?
F3 or below very minor damage (siding and shingles) . F4 moderate roof damage (siding gone shilgles gone some damage to sheeting). F5 major roof damage (like its gone) but the structure should hold up

Hurricane and tornado proof...even sheds buckshot during deer season...

http://www.aidomes.com/

My daughter and I played Monopoly while we watched 80-90mph wind driven rain go horizontal past the front room window for 30 minutes during Katrina. Not a scratch on the structure.

JRitt said:
Bullets with "to who it may concern" on them are bad news. I am planning my "I'm going to live here forever" house right now and its going to have 6" thick concrete walls with 2.5" of styrofoam on each side to keep outside things outside (tornados, bullets, cars etc...)

Steve said:
Hurricane and tornado proof...even sheds buckshot during deer season...

http://www.aidomes.com/

My daughter and I played Monopoly while we watched 80-90mph wind driven rain go horizontal past the front room window for 30 minutes during Katrina. Not a scratch on the structure.

Steve. Is the dome your main residence? Looks pretty cool.

Armageddon Aviator said:
Wow...

I thought that Israel was a dangerous place...apparently I was wrong !

What is happening to this world ?

Alon ..

I think statistically the U.S. is more dangerous than Israel or Iraq.

I'm almost willing to bed that your land lord will keep your security deposit - for breaking your lease...

Yes!

And it's cool in summer and warm in winter. My elec bill last month was $62. The neighbors just scratch their head and wonder....hehe.

Anthony said:
Steve. Is the dome your main residence? Looks pretty cool.

Nick, glad you're OK!

Move.

Suck it up. Suck up whatever it takes to live with the parents, Uncle Ned, your friend who doesn't use deoderant, whoever. Do what it takes to get over this rough time.

Greener times will come!

Nick, you gotta get out of there! Glad you and Piper made it through OK, but you still need to relocate ASAP! :yes:

Steve said:
Yes!

And it's cool in summer and warm in winter. My elec bill last month was $62. The neighbors just scratch their head and wonder....hehe.
I suspect that most neighbors up here would immediately go to the HOA or village council to make your home illegal.

Nick. If you haven't gotten out by now at least shoot back! :D

Just kidding.

Am I the only one who hasn't been shot at lol

But, seriously... Any updates on the move Nick?

Hey Nick, if you really want to stay in albaturkey, my grandma's house is vacant right now... 1815 1/2 Lomas. Its an old adobe, it falling apart and probably needs to be torn down and then set fire to, but no one will shoot at ya.......

DeeG said:
Hey Nick, if you really want to stay in albaturkey, my grandma's house is vacant right now... 1815 1/2 Lomas. Its an old adobe, it falling apart and probably needs to be torn down and then set fire to, but no one will shoot at ya.......

LOL - you suggesting I break in and live there for a few months?

Nick,

Pack your stuff and leave yesterday.

Here's a thought: Buy yourself a used RV from someone. They're fairly cheap if you avoid newer stuff. Then move into a RV park until you find somewhere more permanent. If you pick your place, the RVers are rather nice and sensible and kind of watch out for one another instead of shooting holes through your living room.

I'm serious. The RV idea is NOT a bad idea at all. It just a different lifestyle and beats apartments to smithereens in all respects. And if you don't like the neighbors or anything else, you just yank the umbilicals, drop the jacks, start the engine and drive off.

fgcason said:
Here's a thought: Buy yourself a used RV from someone. They're fairly cheap if you avoid newer stuff.

And if you don't like the neighbors or anything else, you just yank the umbilicals, drop the jacks, start the engine and drive off.

That is quite an interesting idea, Frank. I like it.

I think we should all live like that. Every 2 years or so the entire country just gets up and changes locations.

fgcason said:
Nick,

I'm serious. The RV idea is NOT a bad idea at all. It just a different lifestyle and beats apartments to smithereens in all respects. And if you don't like the neighbors or anything else, you just yank the umbilicals, drop the jacks, start the engine and drive off.

Some of those things are NICE too.

I've seen this done before. I have friend who does it. She's not financially strapped either, she just doesn't want to be tied down. Right now she's got her RV parked in a local RV campground. Her rent is dirt cheap. A couple of hundred dollars a month at most, plus electricity. Looks kind of strange to see her driving a Lexus SUV and living in a RV, but she loves it. She moves it around about once every 6 months or so.

Bill Jennings said:
That is quite an interesting idea, Frank. I like it.

It's a very very practical solution to many problems for less than the cost of a years rent.

After many years of gustappo style whiny apartment management nonsense, idget low life neighbors, blasting stereo's and/or fights in the hallways at 1am and especially a very dangerous hooligan encounter in the apartment hallway 3 weeks ago in which I was forced to stick a loaded hand cannon in the faces of said 2 hooligans, I changed the rules of the game. I am currently living that exact RV solution at this very moment. After a week of living in a 27ft RV and after much careful consideration, I've come to the conclusion that this is the best thing I've done for myself. It takes a little adapting to the smaller living quarters but it's excessively nice actually. The insides of some of these things are nicer than most apartments I've ever seen. I will never go back to apartments.

If you're tied to a house that you like, that's one thing. If you're renting a house or apartment and tossing money into someone elses pocket and putting up with their nonsense, I'd highly recommend seriously considering the self propelled wheeled house option. One lady across the way from me has been living this way year round as a photographer for about 6 years now all over the US and loves it.

P.S. I've just decided I'm going to move in about 1-2 months. It shouldn't take more than, say, oh, roughly 10 minutes to pack and be on the road on departure day.

Attachments

• Southwind.jpg
    Southwind.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
fgcason said:
P.S. I've just decided I'm going to move in about 1-2 months. It shouldn't take more than, say, oh, roughly 10 minutes to pack and be on the road on departure day.

And you won't have to pay for a room when you come to Gaston's next year! :goofy:

Just curious, if you have one just parked somewhere, how much per month would you spend on generator fuel and maintenance?

One of the frieght dogs that work at Royal Air at PTK has a old Motorhome in the parking lot on the side of the hanger, and has been living in it for awhile. Its safe and secure and as someone said if and when he gets a new job he just starts it up and move's on. Mgt like's it because he is close if they need a frieght dog to get in the air real quick.

Regards Mike

There is a guy at our airport who, at least he used, rent a much bigger hangar than what he needed for his plane. In the extra space he parked his RV and lives in that.

flyingcheesehead said:
And you won't have to pay for a room when you come to Gaston's next year! :goofy:

Just curious, if you have one just parked somewhere, how much per month would you spend on generator fuel and maintenance?
RV sites have power hookups so you don't need to run the generator. You can also get cords to MacGuyver to use whatever power is around.

The big problem is there's no MacGuyer to dumping the holding tank unless you just pop the valve on a bridge over the Chicago River and dump on a tour boat.

mikea said:
The big problem is there's no MacGuyer to dumping the holding tank unless you just pop the valve on a bridge over the Chicago River and dump on a tour boat.

Didn't a band get caught doing that once? Dave Matthews?

Anthony said:
Didn't a band get caught doing that once? Dave Matthews?
Yeah. That's what I was referring to.

A lot of less than honorable RV owners just park over a storm drain and pull the valve. Not good atall.

fgcason said:

My ex and I (and two cats) lived in a 40' 5th wheel with a living room tip out for about 4 years. By that time I had enough saved for a down payment on a house. It can be frustrating at times, you have to go to an RV store if anything needs to be replaced/fixed or you need various plumbing parts. And it gets cramped from time to time.

But it worked for me!

Dee

PS Nick, if you really are interested in the house, I'll call my aunt. She's the one dealing with the 'estate' stuff.

DeeG said:
My ex and I (and two cats) lived in a 40' 5th wheel with a living room tip out for about 4 years.

But it worked for me!

Yeah, sounds like it worked great. :rolleyes:

;)

fgcason said:
I changed the rules of the game. I am currently living that exact RV solution at this very moment. After a week of living in a 27ft RV and after much careful consideration, I've come to the conclusion that this is the best thing I've done for myself.

Sweet! I wish I would have thought of something that creative when I was a single appartment dweller.

DeeG said:
PS Nick, if you really are interested in the house, I'll call my aunt. She's the one dealing with the 'estate' stuff.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm almost out of New Mexico, so thank you.

2 months to go.

SkyHog said:
I appreciate the offer, but I'm almost out of New Mexico, so thank you.

2 months to go.

Are you sure you'll make 2 months with flying bullets.....:eek:

Anthony said:
Yeah, sounds like it worked great. :rolleyes:

;)

The relationship fell apart AFTER I bought the house. :) Nothing like living with a pilot that thinks the FAA is out to get him and blames them for every bad thing that ever happened in his life.............

I've always thought the RV thing sounded like a cool way to live. Some of the RV parks can be expensive, tho.

Good luck, Nick!

I lived in an RV park during my last year in the Navy on a fishing lake about as far away from NAS Miramar as I would care to commute - sort of my version of post-cruise decompression and re-entry into a saner world (I thought). What I didn't know at the time was that this particular RV park hosted huge "Why don't we all get drunk and ..." parties every weekend, all weekend, long long into the wee hours of the morning... Oh well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em ...

BTW, if you're REALLY interested in RV living, I happen to have a reasonably priced 29' Class C that could get you started!

Kaye said:
Are you sure you'll make 2 months with flying bullets.....:eek:
Hey, everybody else is turning on the TV to see cops and bullets flying. At least Nick's landlord isn't charging extra...

Back