Many instrument approaches going away

Garmin must be "installed" by an authorized dealer, not Joe the mechanic and his customer.

That right there is probably the biggest hurdle I've seen yet. I am an A&P IA that inspects and conforms radio installations on transport category as a primary duty and I can't even get them to let me do it on my own plane.

How ridiculous is that?

I considering buying all the installation kits & racks and installing all that stuff myself then having a dealer slide the boxes in. The dealer nearest me doesn't want anything to do with a 1968 Cessna 177 anyway. Its bout 15,000 pounds under what they want to work on.

Prepping and pinning wires isn't rocket science.

Last edited:
That right there is probably the biggest hurdle I've seen yet. I am an A&P IA that inspects and conforms radio installations on transport category as a primary duty and I can't even get them to let me do it on my own plane.

How ridiculous is that?

I considering buying all the installation kits & racks and installing all that stuff myself then having a dealer slide the boxes in. The dealer nearest me doesn't want anything to do with a 1968 Cessna 177 anyway. Its bout 15,000 pounds under what they want to work on.

Prepping and pinning wires isn't rocket science.

I'm a MSEE and I can't legally change out a PTT switch...

What happens if you install it anyway? Void the warranty?

Back