Maneuvers for new instrument students

Discussion in 'Cleared for the Approach' started by Flyingfanatic, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Flyingfanatic

Flyingfanatic Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flying Fanatic
    I just got my CFII a few weeks ago, finally (had my cfi since 1994).

I've heard of some maneuvers that instructor's give new instrument students to help them build their scan. Something specific like a 90 degree turn at half standard rate then climb 1000'... etc.

Does anyone have a maneuver they think is effective in helping new IFR students?

2. Bill Jennings

Bill Jennings Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    FAA patterns A & B, CFII had me do them until competent, then we started on approaches, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mcdewey, jordane93 and snglecoil like this.
  3. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    You should always start with basic attitude flying. Make sure they can do a standard rate turn to a heading, constant airspeed climbs/descents, tracking/intercepting courses, etc. Steep turns under the hood is also a good exercise.

Flyingfanatic likes this.
  4. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    Make sure you work with the student doing the patterns...explain each step, when something goes wrong, explain what went wrong and how to fix it. Don’t keep doing them over and over with no feedback to the student. Fastest way to lose a student.

Flyingfanatic likes this.
  5. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    And before you start in on these patterns, establish what the normal configuration (power settings, etc...) is for each of these flight regime (NORMAL CRUISE, LOW (APPROACH) CRUISE, as well as your climb and descent configurations.

mcdewey and murphey like this.
  6. Michael A

Michael A Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Michael A
    +1 here.

7. Flyingfanatic

Flyingfanatic Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flying Fanatic
    I was going to start with this and then move to something more advanced. Thanks!

8. bobmrg

bobmrg En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bob Gardner
    It is boring for the instructor, but IMHO the first five hours should be devoted solely to attitude instrument flying. When you student can change speeds without changing altitude, transition from cruise to climb/descent smoothly, make level turns without losing altitude....all under the hood...you can advance to navigation and communication. Flying the airplane solely by instrument reference has to become automatic, without involving any extra brain cells. Patterns A and B are good, but you can make up your own exercises.

Bob

MauleSkinner and mcdewey like this.
  9. j1b3h0

j1b3h0 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doug
    I agree with Mr. Gardner, but would add minimum controllable airpeed, with turns to headings, climbs and descents, even stalls, power on and off. Student should be able to fly the airplane VERY precisely under the hood before the “navigation” stuff.

10. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    Frankly, while a student should well able to handle the aircraft prior to instrument training, MCA and stalls are largely irrelevant. A student should not be anywhere close to those regimes and if they do (let's say in recovery from unusual attitudes), they should be immediately moving toward the straight-and-level mode. What they need is control of constant rate turns and level and constant rate climbs in turns and straight at both cruise and approach airspeeds.

MauleSkinner likes this.