Mandatory Quarintine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HopefullTraveler

I'm wondering if anyone has information about how strictly states with mandatory quarantine are enforcing these regulations.

I live in the Southeast, and my daughter just had my first grandson. I want to go visit, but I worry the mandatory quarantine will be an issue for me. I think what NY wants me to do is fly into NY then quarantine for two weeks before doing anything involving being out in public. If I have to quarantine for two weeks, I'll need a whole lot more planning to arrange that much time.

I'd prefer to fly into NY, get a virus test (to ensure I'm not going to infect my grandson), and assuming I'm not infected, go see my grandson and then fly home. I only plan on being in NY a few days at most...really, only as long as it takes to get tested and see my grandson - weather permitting, I'll leave as soon as I can. I'd in effect be "quarantined" because I don't plan on going anywhere other than the airport to a hotel to a testing lab and then to my daughter's home, back to the airport and out of NY.

I'm responsible enough that I wouldn't be out in public otherwise, and I'll know definitively whether I'm a risk to anyone or not by the test results I get.

Does it sound like my plan is going to get me in trouble with NY? If so, does anyone know what the risks are - is it like a slap on the wrist, or are they going to confiscate my airplane?

Any idea of other things I should avoid? Does flying in IFR at a big airport create more issues than going VFR into an uncontrolled field? Or, maybe it's safer not to fly at all and drive instead? Is it safe to rent a car, or is Uber better? Do hotels report check ins from out of state visitors, or should I aim for AirBNB?

Or, should I just scrap my plan and not go until I can do the full two-week quarantine?

I think a lot of states have found out the quarantining has been mostly unenforceable.

New Mexico and Wyoming are just a couple of those states, but NM still tries to enforce it.

In my travels (by car) no one has even questioned me about my travels, except the state policia (who unfortunately was made to be the bad guys by the governor) in New Mexico. I don't put my travels in a log book.

Even checking into motels no one has asked where I am from or where I have been. Of course I haven't been to New York.

I live in NYS, but have no direct experience with enforcement actions of the quarantine rules. Based upon what I've read in local online news sources, there are officials at most commercial airports in the state requiring travelers to fill out forms. Based upon Govm Cuomo's words and actions, I wouldn't take a commercial flight into this state from one of the states on his list. Just drive here. You may have to be a bit... Ummm.. circumspect if you are visiting a hospital and you have to answer any questions, but should be OK. As a safety measure, park your out of state licensed vehicle in your daughter's driveway and leave it there during your visit. You have the right attitude.. be careful, be considerate, be responsible, as you've already indicated. I wouldn't let governmental overreach prevent you from seeing your daughter and grandchild if you have taken precautions to ensure you would not endanger them.
My son visited us from Indiana recently, arriving one day prior to Cuomo announcing that Indiana was on the newest quarantine list. He was here for six days and never got hassled.

I don't know about N.Y. specifically, but I'd say one of the biggest problems with you plan is that most places take several days to get test results back.

what NY wants me to do is fly into NY, then quarantine for two weeks before doing anything involving being out in public.

I just went through this last month... flying into Syracuse NY, the flight attendant passed out NYS Health questionnaires, which we were asked to complete if arriving from one of the listed "bad" areas.

However... leaving the secure area, there was no attempt to discover if passengers were coming from "bad" areas or not... only a couple of pleasant looking older ladies at a table, where you could drop the questionnaire if you wanted to.

I did leave my questionnaire. That resulted in a daily text message asking me to report any temperature, cough, etc. and reminding me I needed to be quarantined, which means not out in public. They also want you to stay somewhere where you have your own bedroom, bathroom, and food available (so you don't have to go out for food).

At one point, the text asked when I was leaving NY... I told them I was leaving day 5... they said OK, we'll stop following up with you after that. And they did.

Pretty low impact... Just a reminder service to be responsible.

Paul

Why give NY th money if you don't have to?

(Yeah, I get the family thing, but....)

Get a PCR swab on arrival. In NY the result are pretty quick. If negative, you get to visit. If positive, you'll want to be in the basement for 14 days!

I'm presently living the dream as I had a "possible exposure" so my work requires that I stay away (distance) for 14 days. They're paying for me to stay away so I'm not too sad about it.

But the wording they use is that I'm not quarantined as I've only had a possible exposure & no symptoms. And ... even if I test and come up negative I still have to do the 14 day thing as they won't allow me to test out of the 14 day separation.

Then the state (Department of Health) tells me if I have had it (even with zero symptoms) getting tested after 14 days would still show a positive result as I would have the antibodies in my system for the next 90 days even though after 10-14 days I would no longer be contagious. Today there was an article that says they now believe the antibodies may last much longer than previously suspected but that information hasn't been peer reviewed.

Truth is I don't really think they have a clue what is happening here ...

I'm still wondering how people manage to get tests on demand. Not that I want a test, but when I research it, we need to be essential, have a known exposure, or at least one symptom.

I'm still wondering how people manage to get tests on demand. Not that I want a test, but when I research it, we need to be essential, have a known exposure, or at least one symptom.

It depends on your location. In Maskachusetts, there is sufficient testing capacity so that anyone can be tested. However, without a referrel, insurance won't pay for it.

But even in Maskachusetts, some test sites still require a referrel, not all.

Massachusetts has the same rules regarding filling out a form and quarantining for 14 days, but I have been in and out of the state a few times via private aircraft, and no one has said anything to me. I would suspect that you'll be fine. Just don't say anything to anyone unless specifically asked.

Check other testing sites. CVS can do the collection, the testing is through Labcorp. You answer a questionnaire and if you answer any one yes, they'll let you schedule. In addition to what you asked, they also ask if you have certain symptoms, underlying health issues or care for an elderly person.

When I went, the collection was self administered but guided. Basically, you use a regular q-tip to collect a mucus sample, seal it in a tube in a bag and then Labcorp tests it in a few days. They guide you through the entire process, I did it at the pharmacy drive up window. Found negative in a few days, which is good peace of mind.

More testing is a good thing.

As a New York City resident, please STAY HOME! Legally, you will have to quarantine for 14 days if you're coming from one of the states on this list: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory . Lets leave the politics aside, we had a really rough ride here in NYC for the past few months. Too many of us stayed at home, took pay cuts and almost everyone in NYC knows someone who died from this virus.

I'm kind of surprised that this group of pilots would advocate breaking the rules, even if they're "mostly unenforceable." As a flight instructor, I advocate to my students that following the rules is the best and I teach the FAA hazardous attitudes (if you need a reminder: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media.../flight-training-magazine/hazardous-attitudes), pay careful attention to the "anti-authority" one. I know we all want to use our airplanes to travel and see our family members, but now is not the time. Stay Home!

Last edited:
Check other testing sites. CVS can do the collection, the testing is through Labcorp. You answer a questionnaire and if you answer any one yes, they'll let you schedule. In addition to what you asked, they also ask if you have certain symptoms, underlying health issues or care for an elderly person.

When I went, the collection was self administered but guided. Basically, you use a regular q-tip to collect a mucus sample, seal it in a tube in a bag and then Labcorp tests it in a few days. They guide you through the entire process, I did it at the pharmacy drive up window. Found negative in a few days, which is good peace of mind.

More testing is a good thing.
I know I checked CVS because there is one a couple blocks away. Seems as if they had the same requirements as the city and my health provider, essential, known exposure, or at least one symptom, before you can even make an appointment. Maybe availability is dependent on location.

And as an FYI - the self administered test have about a 33% false negative result. Some are “pooled test” where the group of test are all done as one and if any one is positive everyone is told to re-test. This is a horrible non-standard testing protocol which creates the sense in many people that they are in the clear when they are not. My .02 from the cheap seats having gone through this mess after exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And as an FYI - the self administered test have about a 33% false negative result. Some are “pooled test” where the group of test are all done as one and if any one is positive everyone is told to re-test. This is a horrible non-standard testing protocol which creates the sense in many people that they are in the clear when they are not. My .02 from the cheap seats having gone through this mess after exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even some of the regular/PCR tests are unreliable with false positives. He FDA put out a warning on one of them in the last day or so.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...ic-taqpath-covid-19-combo-kit-letter-clinical

Get a test before you go, wasting 100LL is a sin, God will strike you down and turn your grandson into an Uber driver!

Once you test negative, fly yourself on up and lay low, enjoy your family time!

I came by, but when they told me what you were up to, I decided to leave rather than risk guilt by association! :lol:

are you at SYR?

Paul

Not based there, but live in the area. Next time you're in town, drop me a line..be hapoy to furnish a fellow POA denizen with a refreshing beverage or two of their choice.

We've been warned not to leave the airport if going to NY, and our flight coordinator has spoken with at least one FBO there that reported an enforcement team was present.

Does it sound like my plan is going to get me in trouble with NY? If so, does anyone know what the risks are - is it like a slap on the wrist, or are they going to confiscate my airplane?

Kind of depends where they are in NY. One of our club members has been flying up weekly to see his parents in the finger lakes. He got a Covid Test before he started doing it and has been pretty isolated here (working at home) and when he gets up there it's really just time with his folks and not out and about. No one has hassled him at all and it seems to me he's taken reasonable precautions.

Flew into Panama City Beach (ECP) last Sunday. This sign was posted at the FBO entrance. No one asked where we flew in from...

Attachments

• IMG_4188.jpg
    IMG_4188.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 208
As a New York City resident, please STAY HOME! Legally, you will have to quarantine for 14 days if you're coming from one of the states on this list: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory . Lets leave the politics aside, we had a really rough ride here in NYC for the past few months. Too many of us stayed at home, took pay cuts and almost everyone in NYC knows someone who died from this virus.

I'm kind of surprised that this group of pilots would advocate breaking the rules, even if they're "mostly unenforceable." As a flight instructor, I advocate to my students that following the rules is the best and I teach the FAA hazardous attitudes (if you need a reminder: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media.../flight-training-magazine/hazardous-attitudes), pay careful attention to the "anti-authority" one. I know we all want to use our airplanes to travel and see our family members, but now is not the time. Stay Home!

Id be ok with what you are saying but where I live in NC every fifth license plate is from NEW YORK. We tried to keep y’all out when this whole thing started, but they brought in the lawyers and the coastal counties had to relent because the could not afford the legal costs.
So I am sorry but what is good for the goose is good for The gander. If y’all stop coming to us, I will stop coming to you. Cough, cough...
Bless your heart.

besides where do you think we got the virus from? You from nj and nyc Coming down south to escape.

Last edited:
I guess I should be locked up. Since the quarantine I've visited 6 states, went to a family reunion, visted my terminally ill mother, went to Key West, and pretty much whatever else I wanted. I did postpone my trip to visit the grand kids in Arizona, but that was planned for the beginning of the initial lock downs. I'll be doing that later in the year.

Despite all that, nobody I've run into knows anyone personally that has gotten sick from it. That includes quite a few of my relatives that are nurses. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Flew into Panama City Beach (ECP) last Sunday. This sign was posted at the FBO entrance.

That sign was obviously intended for the conditions in March or April when NY, NJ and LA were the hot spots.

In July I found a similarly out-of-date sign on the door of an FBO in Texas; it didn't say much that was useful, but instead required that you type a painfully long URL into your phone's browser to find a governor's announcement, listing states of concern. It turned out the URL was so old that it didn't work any more. It was for a governor's order in March that was revoked in April, but the sign was still posted on the FBO door three months later.

I'd guess that signs go up often, without dates or an easy way to determine if the quarantine they mention is still in effect.

I’d say your chances are better flying into a small-ish airport VFR. But, doesn’t sound like it’s well-enforced anyhow.

Id be ok with what you are saying but where I live in NC every fifth license plate is from NEW YORK. We tried to keep y’all out when this whole thing started, but they brought in the lawyers and the coastal counties had to relent because the could not afford the legal costs.
So I am sorry but what is good for the goose is good for The gander. If y’all stop coming to us, I will stop coming to you. Cough, cough...
Bless your heart.

besides where do you think we got the virus from? You from nj and nyc Coming down south to escape.

I guess I should be locked up. Since the quarantine I've visited 6 states, went to a family reunion, visted my terminally ill mother, went to Key West, and pretty much whatever else I wanted. I did postpone my trip to visit the grand kids in Arizona, but that was planned for the beginning of the initial lock downs. I'll be doing that later in the year.

Despite all that, nobody I've run into knows anyone personally that has gotten sick from it. That includes quite a few of my relatives that are nurses. Maybe I'm just lucky.

That makes it clear why the rest of the world has this virus under control and we’re just letting the virus spread like wildfire. In Italy, there is a saying “Your freedom ends where everyone else’s begins,” meaning, what you do in public has a very real impact on my freedom.

It’s a shame really, such a simple thing, just stay home. Don’t hold a family reunion, say goodbye to mom the way all of my friends had to say goodbye to their family members in the COVID wards, don’t go on vacation. We, as a society, can’t even be trusted to take each other’s health and safety in consideration, because ‘Merica! Sad... really sad.

That makes it clear why the rest of the world has this virus under control and we’re just letting the virus spread like wildfire. In Italy, there is a saying “Your freedom ends where everyone else’s begins,” meaning, what you do in public has a very real impact on my freedom.

It’s a shame really, such a simple thing, just stay home. Don’t hold a family reunion, say goodbye to mom the way all of my friends had to say goodbye to their family members in the COVID wards, don’t go on vacation. We, as a society, can’t even be trusted to take each other’s health and safety in consideration, because ‘Merica! Sad... really sad.
What’s sad is all the living people that aren’t living.

I agree. Too bad the NYCer's were allowed to escape and give to the rest of us. Should of built a wall.
P.S. I have been to Italy. It is really pretty. I hear some expats are moving there.

Last edited:

It is only anti-authority if you agree that the person barking orders at you is an actual authority.

I agree. Too bad the NYCer's were allowed to escape and give to the rest of us. Should of built a wall.
P.S. I have been to Italy. It is really pretty. I hear some expats are moving there.
Obviously, I can’t speak for everyone but I know of absolutely no one in the Tristate area that went anywhere in the past 5 months. Not saying there won’t be people breaking the rules on all sides but I’m, certainly, not one of them and neither are the people I associate with.

This virus takes very little time to migrate, and by the time we shut down China and Europe, it was already here. My thought are that you already had it down there a month before your first hospitalization.

What’s sad is all the living people that aren’t living.
Changing lifestyle for a short period of time during a global pandemic doesn’t constitute “not living” in my book. It’s just a matter of being responsible.

I’ve taken up an old hobby, fishing. I’m going more often than I used to go flying and my daughter enjoys it more than flying so there’s family time in it as well. I haven’t stopped flying, just have less places to go so I don’t go as often.

It is only anti-authority if you agree that the person barking orders at you is an actual authority.
It sounds like what you’re advocating is a coup. That would make us more of a banana republic than we’ve been, even recently.

Authorities are the people you elect to be so. Experts are the people who spend their lives training for these kinds of disasters. I do not expect that authorities will be experts, they’re politicians. I DO expect that they will listen to the advice of experts and keep my best interests (not theirs) in mind. When the experts say “stay home” and my authorities say “stay home,” I’m going to stay home.

Changing lifestyle for a short period of time during a global pandemic doesn’t constitute “not living” in my book. It’s just a matter of being responsible.

I’ve taken up an old hobby, fishing. I’m going more often than I used to go flying and my daughter enjoys it more than flying so there’s family time in it as well. I haven’t stopped flying, just have less places to go so I don’t go as often.
When you can’t define “short period” and it’s already been 4 months, and your change in lifestyle is to not live, then yeah, it’s not living.

When you can’t define “short period” and it’s already been 4 months, and your change in lifestyle is to not live, then yeah, it’s not living.
Short period, in this case, would be 1-3 years. Pandemics take that long to play out. People who have a heart attack have to change their lifestyle permanently (diet and exercise) or face another heart attack, that’s not short period.

Seems like you’ve made up your mind, so I doubt I’ll be able to change yours. Just consider your words and actions when people around you do start to contract this illness and die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back