Mandatory checkride retest.

11 years seems punitive and unnecessary to me. I don't recall how long the Fast Eddie recall was, but I thought it was like a 3 year lookback? Missed that one by a hair. :eek:

teaching the student, during the test is another way to require re-test.

Punishing pilots for their own inability to continuously QA their DPEs.

Was he tied in with one of the puppy mills ?

15 days to retest or hand in your certificate. That's tough action.

Retest with a FAA Inspector, not just another DPE. Good luck for all the applicants trying to scheduled with the FAA.

I thought that in the past, the rule was "if you've had any subsequent checkride with another examiner, you're okay". This time it's a matrix of which type of checkrides you did with him and which type you've had since. Am I remembering it wrong?

And that matrix is BS. Say you did your commercial with him and then got your move to the airlines, got your ATP, had years of recurrent training, and logged 1000s of hours of 121 time. Nope. Turn in your cert. Also, take your private with him, but get your instrument with someone else. Nope too bad. Is McPherson back at the FAA, because this matrix has stupid written all over it.

Also, if you are a CFI and fail the re-test, are all of your students now affected?

I thought that in the past, the rule was "if you've had any subsequent checkride with another examiner, you're okay". This time it's a matrix of which type of checkrides you did with him and which type you've had since. Am I remembering it wrong?

Thats how I remember it too. A friend got caught up in the Eddie Lane retest ordeal but thankfully he had taken his last checkride with someone else after several with Eddie.

Well that sucks. Good luck getting scheduled for the foreseeable future.

Here is the matrix...

Attachments

• FAA.pdf
    160.7 KB · Views: 34
Was this dude restrited to a specific region? I do not remember the names of any of my DPEs. No idea if he did any of my rides.

Was this dude restrited to a specific region? I do not remember the names of any of my DPEs. No idea if he did any of my rides.

Cinci area I think.

Reactions: smv
Normally a DPE cannot give checkrides outside his region without special authorization if my understanding is correct. Aren't DPEs monitored? How can 11 years of checkrides slip through FSDO quality assurance? Sounds like the FSDO DPE process should be overhauled. With what DPE charge for their services you'd think you'd be assured of a checkride that would be valid and not be surprised by a letter 11 years later.

Cinci area I think.

Yes, he worked at the Cincinnati FSDO. He was not a DPE, he was an FAA examiner.

I cannot find any information online about the investigation.

Normally a DPE cannot give checkrides outside his region without special authorization if my understanding is correct. Aren't DPEs monitored? How can 11 years of checkrides slip through FSDO quality assurance? Sounds like the FSDO DPE process should be overhauled. With what DPE charge for their services you'd think you'd be assured of a checkride that would be valid and not be surprised by a letter 11 years later.

This changed a few years ago.

And that matrix is BS. Say you did your commercial with him and then got your move to the airlines, got your ATP, had years of recurrent training, and logged 1000s of hours of 121 time. Nope. Turn in your cert. Also, take your private with him, but get your instrument with someone else. Nope too bad. Is McPherson back at the FAA, because this matrix has stupid written all over it.
I don’t have as much problem with requiring a VFR checkride to provide relief for a VFR checkride so much as the fact that apparently those 10 or 12 checkrides to the ATP PTS doesn’t provide relief for one ATP checkride with this guy.

Last edited:
Do you have to pay again? And it looks like if you got a PP and IR, you have to take both tests? I would have thought the flight review and IPC would have be sufficient assuming you have been flying regularly since tested.

Thats how I remember it too. A friend got caught up in the Eddie Lane retest ordeal but thankfully he had taken his last checkride with someone else after several with Eddie.
I think it was 2 years

This thread should go into the general forum IMO. Many people don't still go to the flight training section and I think this is important enough that more people can get their eyes on it.

DPEs can travel all they want now, thanks to the problems scheduling rides during the shortage

He was a DPE. Previously employed as an FAA Inspector.

The re-test notice covers the time when he was an FAA employee in Cinci, not his DPE position before and after.

This is not even a failure of the DPE system, this is the agencies own ****-up. Did they fire him ?

And anyone that's in a foreign country is really hurt by this (unless it's a military deployment), especially foreign pilots that got their ticket here and used it to get a foreign license. 15 days to get it done, must be done at a FSDO, and testing at a foreign location not permitted. The US has closed its borders right now due to COVID, so most folks that fall into that category might as well send in their tickets now.

I put part of this on the FAA itself for lack of oversight of the examiner. 11 years is an awful long time to let it go on, and then to give folks 15 days to retest is likely going to hurt a lot of folks. But with the criticism the agency received after the Max situation, I'm sure they're not taking any chances now.

The re-test notice covers the time when he was an FAA employee in Cinci, not his DPE position before and after.

This is not even a failure of the DPE system, this is the agencies own ****-up. Did they fire him ?

Actually he was a DPE before and after his FAA tenure. He had left the FAA and reinstated as a DPE, and that time frame covers that.

LinkedIn has removed his profile.

Back