Man that ****es me off

kwc98

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
kwc98
I have been ready to solo for the last couple of weeks. Last time I flew I was happy to get in some more landing practice, but we were scheduled to go again this Sat, so all is perfect.

Friday at work I get a text from the CFI, whoops I have a wedding on Sat, can we schedule for Sun? Took a bit of back and forth, but I responded back that sure 10-12 on Sun was fine.

Get to the airport, wearing a shirt that can be cut. No CFI. I text. Of course he never got my text about Sunday. Not until I took a screen shot and sent it to him. Sorry he says, I got you in for next Tues.

What!?! I see the plane on the ramp. What have I been thinking about all week? One thing, good weather and a solo. Crap. Double crap. I am thinking this is complete BS.

I am now thinking about all of the times he said, we are going to do X next lesson. Do we do that? Never. Do we have a syllabus? No of course not.
I have never been late to a lesson, never re-scheduled. I guess it is my job to follow up on the CFI.

OK I feel a little better, but I am seriously considering cancelling all lessons and getting a different instructor.

-Ken

I'd feel the same way. Very unprofessional on your CFI's part. You're the customer (paying a lot of money!) and you have the right to expect good service. I'd probably be looking for another instructor too.

No bueno, have a come to Jesus with him, and fire him if it doesn't go well

I agree with Kenny and James, have a talk with him, that would not be acceptable to me.

That's why texts suck for this, unless they are confirmed, much better to call.....

Sound eerily similar to my former FI. I have yet to fly with the new guy, that is tomorrow morning. So of course will have to go over some of the standard stuff to get him up to speed,as,to where I am at in my training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Weddings can pop up at any time. No clear cut instructions and plan. Why have a talk it's obvious, plenty of good CFI out there , go find one it will make your whole experience more fun.

That sounds like my first CFI. Never a lesson plan nor syllabus. He sucked, only I didn't realize it until later. Guess what he did the day I soloed. He changed the radio frequency to see if I would notice, never having taught me anything about the radio beyond calling location. Yeah, he sucked. I wish I had fired him a long time before I left.

Good luck with your solo! Think about finding a new instructor.

I would move onto a new CFI and let the new one know why you're leaving the old one. Schedule conflicts and changes occur but the bigger issue is how that's communicated. Both CFIs that I've worked with are very professional and in fact I've seen them pick up new students because other instructors have no showed.

Weddings can pop up at any time. No clear cut instructions and plan. Why have a talk it's obvious, plenty of good CFI out there , go find one it will make your whole experience more fun.
No, weddings don't pop up anytime, The CFI knew far enough i advance to reschedule.

Find another CFi.

Is this the first time he did something like this with scheduling???? If it's the first time, I would talk to him. If it has been a problem move on.

Sounds like he hooked up with a chick......pretty easy at a wedding when the girls are all mushy and in a lovey dovey mood.

I'd basically tell him don't let that sheeeet happen again or not only is he fired, you'll make sure the local fliers know about his shenanigans.

Is this CFI only teaching to build time?

I communicated almost solely via text with my CFI but it was clear early on that we both meant business....never showed up late or missed a lesson. if this had happened more than once or twice with weak explanations I would have immediately looked elsewhere.

but don't worry man, your solo WILL come soon!!

Similar issues way back in 86. I am sitting in a 152 with my instructor and the fan is turning. He sees a business owner pushing his Baron out of the hangar and says hold on a minute. Runs to the owner and come back to tell me he needed to take this trip in the Baron. Here I am sitting ready to go and the Hobbs meter is running. Marched into the FBO and announced I was NOT paying for one second of Hobbs time nor would I fly with the ****ole again. I had a new instructor the next week and things went fine after that.

We have some great instructor out there but also have some with no ethics at all. I had to do a similar thing when the Instrument training started but that is another story.

It sounds like the instructor is using you to build time ,at his convienence. If he doesn't follow through on what you expect on the next lesson,and he doesn't have a syllabus,he's not keeping up his end.

kwc98;1567202.......No CFI. I text. Of course he never got my text about Sunday. Not until I took a screen shot and sent it to him. Sorry he says said:
Dump that dirtbag.. ASAP..... IMHO..

That's why texts suck for this, unless they are confirmed, much better to call.....
Actually texts are better because you can always claim you never got it and the sender has no way to prove otherwise. :dunno:

Actually texts are better because you can always claim you never got it and the sender has no way to prove otherwise. :dunno:

I thought my kids were the only ones to try the "I didn't get your text" excuse!
iPhones will tell you if it was delivered.:D
I bet if you sent him a text about some right seat time in a Citation, he'd get it! :D

Follow up. Got a appt. to meet a new CFI. This flight school seems to have much newer planes and hopefully a syllabus! Looks like I won't have to remember to use the carb heat!
-Ken

Exactly! I can't believe how many PILOTS I know that don't confirm receiving an important text message. Simply type "k" (k= okay) and send it. Acknowledge you received the message! :mad2:

You can always ask the instructor to use a part 141 syllabus but train in part 61. This is what I did. Just a bit of background...I had changed flight schools long back since I felt the school wasn't that great. The CFI will come and say "Ok what did we do last week' or "What do you wanna do? ". Long story short I missed out many things which were not taught in the previous school. When I joined the new school, I explained that I would like to use a syllabus but train in part 61. My instructor was great and he did have a syllabus but mentioned that if there are certain maneuvers which he felt was best to be taught on the same day due to weather etc then we may deviate a bit from the syllabus. It worked great because I knew what to expect in my next lesson but it was again not a hard-set rule to follow it. There were times when we deviated but everytime I was informed what I would be doing in my next lesson and came prepared.

If this ****es you off, you're going to be ****ed off with most of your days in aviation, because it's this over and over :lol: Never but never buy an airplane.

Back