Man Arrested for Allegedly Shooting Down Neighbor's Drone

Wrong weapon. Need a non-percussive device, maybe some kind of slingshot?

So you think the unlawful and reckless discharge of a firearm into the sky over a residential neighborhood, at someone else's personal property, that is not in violation of your own property, is a good thing? Ok....

He was doing real estate photography of his friend's home. He wasn't over the nutjob's home. He was doing nothing wrong and minding his own business. And the idiot that shot it down provides even more ammo for the anti-gun liberal loonytoons to claim "see they're all crazy"

You can dislike people who are irresponsible with model aircraft. That's fine. So do I. But this wasn't one of them. And you're blind hatred is akin to disliking anyone with a Toyota because one cut you off in traffic.

Last edited:
So you think the unlawful and reckless discharge of a firearm into the sky over a residential neighborhood, at someone else's personal property, that is not in violation of your own property, is a good thing? Ok....

He was doing real estate photography of his friend's home. He wasn't over the nutjob's home. He was doing nothing wrong and minding his own business. And the idiot that shot it down provides even more ammo for the anti-gun liberal loonytoons to claim "see they're all crazy"

You can dislike people who are irresponsible with model aircraft. That's fine. So do I. But this wasn't one of them. And you're blind hatred is akin to disliking anyone with a Toyota because one cut you off in traffic.

Well… I thought he was saying "good" that the guy got arrested.

Should be an interesting case. Looks like a he said she said case. Was the drone over the property of the shooter?

For the most part they are crazy.

Will it count if he uses an armed drone?

I'm aware the risk is minimal from buckshot and birdshot. I have one full of it under my bed. That does not make wildly shooting into the sky in a residential neighborhood ok. Whether it is because you're mad or it is celebratory gunfire. Knocking a 5lb drone with a LiPo battery out of the sky so it falls on whatever happens to be under it is also irresponsible and dangerous.

The irresponsible morons with guns are ruining it for those of us who are responsible. Just like the irresponsible and uneducated drone users are ruining it for those of us who are responsible.

Last edited:
Have you been drinking too much coffee? Or taking some other type of stimulant? I thought he said "good, that the guy got arrested".

The owner of the drone said he was using the machine to take pictures of a nearby home under construction when he heard several gunshots and then lost control of the drone. When the broken drone was recovered, he said it had "multiple holes that were likely the result of at least one shotgun blast."
The drone's owner called police and pointed them in the direction of Percenti's house, from where the shots seemed to originate. Police discovered the shotgun that was allegedly used in attacking the drone, arrested Percenti, and seized the shotgun as evidence related to the crime.

If Percenti was smart enough to keep his mouth shut, I wonder how they plan to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that

• The holes in the drone were caused by a shotgun
  • The shotgun used was that particular shotgun
  • Percenti pulled the trigger of that particular shotgun at the time of the incident

I see a plea agreement in the future.

I too assumed he meant 'good' that it got shot down. But before I posted I realized it could mean "good" that he was arrested...so I let it be. Kind of a worthless post in that light, it means nothing so deserves nothing as a response.

To the OP, the guy destroyed another's property for no reason. Thats a crime. Firing a weapon into the air in a residential area for Tue purpose of committing a crime is another problem. And yes, it helps the anti-gun crowd in their cause...

Last edited:
How much of an annoyance is a drone that's used once over a neighbor's property?

Compared, let's say, to a dog that barks incessantly on the same property.

I wonder if there's more to this story. I'm thinking either this guy has some issues or he's had drones bothering him for a while that may or may not belong to the same person.

Yea. Drone with camera over my back yard I'll have a video of me shooting it out of the air. Then again, I live in the country and a jury of my peers would offer me a beer... Assuming the judge wouldn't laugh at the attorney presenting the case.

These drones are like anything else.. If the owners don't take responsiblility then there will be a cry for regulation...

Yeah, I doubt this is the first time this guy and his neighbor have had words. Could be one guy selling his house for development and the other guy shooting the drone down that was trying to take pictures! I would be very surprised if there wasn't an extended back story on this on! :nono:

I wonder if there's more to this story. I'm thinking either this guy has some issues or he's had drones bothering him for a while that may or may not belong to the same person.

So what is the differentiation between "Model aircraft" and "Drone"?

I have RC planes / Helos but I have never referred to them as "Drones"

I believe a drone has some mechanism to fly it's self... the operator commands it where to go and either via gyroscopic action or some sort of computer control it goes there.

Vs your RC planes which just have conventional controls.

Although effectively I think any small object buzzing around in the sky is going to be called a drone now.

I believe a drone has some mechanism to fly it's self... the operator commands it where to go and either via gyroscopic action or some sort of computer control it goes there.

Vs your RC planes which just have conventional controls.

Although effectively I think any small object buzzing around in the sky is going to be called a drone now.

That's pretty much the way I see it. The one I used this summer you could let go of the controls and it would hold position, even in a wind, and could automatically return to where it launched from. Basically the controller was just to tell the computer what you wanted it to do.

Would this be an appropriate load for this purpose?
s7_213580_999_03

That's pretty much the way I see it. The one I used this summer you could let go of the controls and it would hold position, even in a wind, and could automatically return to where it launched from. Basically the controller was just to tell the computer what you wanted it to do.

Then my vacuum cleaner it's a drone.

Hmmm, a number of posts already on both sides of the debate and yet, and yet, no one has pointed out that the drone operator was quite possibly breaking the law while flying the drone. (would seem from the article that it was not within his range of vision at the time)

As for the appropriate load for drone, I don't think salt will get the distance unless the thing is within 50' of you. Salt doesn't carry well. I would use #2 bird, and depending on how good a shot, maybe #3 depending on how flitty it is, and distance.

As for shooting "wildly" I would disagree. The shooter apparently hit was he was aiming at, we don't have any reports of collateral damage, and no one is complaining about pellets on their car, or windows, etc. Nothing wild about this shooting.

I"m guessing in Joyzee, he's toast. In TX, I doubt there would be an arrest. If it did go to court, I can't see anyone voting to convict. Sure as hell, if I'm defending the guy, I bring a drone into court(for information and clarity of course), and hover it right over the jury box for a good 15 minutes; "Not guilty!"

Hmmm, a number of posts already on both sides of the debate and yet, and yet, no one has pointed out that the drone operator was quite possibly breaking the law while flying the drone. (would seem from the article that it was not within his range of vision at the time)

What law was being broken?

(The congressional statute that created the FAA gives it authority only over navigable airspace, not all airspace. The airspace around and inside your house is not navigable airspace.)

So let's say neighbor A is photographing his property to sell because neighbor B is a nut job. Neighbor A sets up a camera on a tripod on the corner of the front yard. Neighbor B comes out side and blasts the camera off the tripod with a shot gun. What crime has been committed if any?

What law was being broken?

(The congressional statute that created the FAA gives it authority only over navigable airspace, not all airspace. The airspace around and inside your house is not navigable airspace.)

I believe the FAA has gone to court several times accusing people of flying a drone in violation of airspace regs. Not going to look it up but I know they lost one round a while back. As I recall, drone flying is restricted to a limited group right now, and requires a permit.

As for the appropriate load for drone, I don't think salt will get the distance unless the thing is within 50' of you. Salt doesn't carry well. I would use #2 bird, and depending on how good a shot, maybe #3 depending on how flitty it is, and distance.

As for shooting "wildly" I would disagree. The shooter apparently hit was he was aiming at, we don't have any reports of collateral damage, and no one is complaining about pellets on their car, or windows, etc. Nothing wild about this shooting.

I"m guessing in Joyzee, he's toast. In TX, I doubt there would be an arrest. If it did go to court, I can't see anyone voting to convict. Sure as hell, if I'm defending the guy, I bring a drone into court(for information and clarity of course), and hover it right over the jury box for a good 15 minutes; "Not guilty!"

I doubt it will see more than restitution and fine.

OTOH, I see a major market for a jamming device for these things.

Back