Malibu runs into GRI terminal

ElPaso Pilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ElPaso Pilot
Meridian runs into GRI terminal

OK... I think that qualifies as a prop strike.

Who here's based at GRI in a Malibu Meridian with a powerless nosewheel and a dented nose?

http://www.theindependent.com/news/...11e2-925b-001a4bcf887a.html#user-comment-area
Small plane runs into terminal at GI Airport

The Grand Island Fire Department and the airport’s fire personnel were called to the scene just before 3 p.m. because fuel was leaking from the plane.

Airport Executive Director Mike Olson said the Piper Meridian had been parked near the building, and the pilot was preparing to taxi onto a runway. After he started the engine, he lost power to the brakes and the nose wheel so he couldn’t stop the plane.

The plane’s nose was dented. Olson said the plane is likely totalled because the prop would have come to an abrupt stop when the plane hit the building, and that would have damaged the engine.

511c19447e6b9.image.jpg

Last edited:
The Airport Executive Manager said that the plane is likely destroyed because the engine was destroyed. Seriously? I bet that more than one person would take the airframe off their hands and put on a new engine.

Wow, does that mean when it is time for overhaul of my IO360 I need to throw my Arrow away?

Did he also lose control of the condition lever and reverse thrust?

Wow, does that mean when it is time for overhaul of my IO360 I need to throw my Arrow away?

Unfortunately Tim, your Arrow is disposable when the motor times out... To help you out, feel free to call me and I will remove your worthless plane from your possession..;):yes::rofl:

Unfortunately Tim, your Arrow is disposable when the motor times out... To help you out, feel free to call me and I will remove your worthless plane from your possession..;):yes::rofl:

Be sure you get the elevator cables and turnbuckles inspected

That'll buff right out.

(someone had to say it)

You cannot make it experimental and mount a V8 to it, nope.

At least the engine didn't fail this time. It sounds like a little to much power.

It's pretty easy to push the power lever forward to get out of the pilots seat. I've had owners that left it forward and committed to the start. It really winds up.

Well there could be close to a million in damage but I highly doubt that would total the airframe.

This is my home airport. Hadn't heard anything about until seeing it here. I consider the lady that sits on the other side of that window a friend. Glad everyone is ok.

Last edited:
Check for brake pressure before start up.

Does this aircraft not have a steerable nose gear with interconnected rudder.

If all else fails kill the engine.

I am glad I was not parked in front of him.

No idea what the checklist for the Malibu is but my Arros has set parking break prior to start up. You can tell it there is no pressure when you pull the handle.

It looks like an 06 Meridian. The PT6A-42A engine can get expensive in a big hurry. A hard prop strike repair quote on one was $450,000. We had a compressor repair go for $230,000 on another. This Meridian looks repairable.

It does have a steerable nose wheel and a rudder interconnect.

Is it a Malibu or Meridian? The quote says Meridian.

You are correct, but the title is locked in for eternity (or a mod).

And a better pic this morning:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130213/NEWS/702149907/1707
bilde

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2013/02/piper-pa46-500tp-n32ca-plane-hits.html
The plane is owned by Croft Aviation LLC in Westminster, Colo. The fixed-wing, single-engine turbo-prop plane was manufactured in 2005 and has been owned by Croft Aviation since May 2012, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

According to FlightAware's online activity log, the plane left Sturgis, Minn., Tuesday and flew to Chicago. It left Chicago Wednesday en route to the Rocky Mountain Metropolitan airport. The pilot, whose name wasn't listed on the activity log, made a stop in Grand Island on the way to Colorado.

Last edited:
"Lost power to the brakes and the nose wheel so he couldn’t stop the plane."

Hmmmmm. Where's Paul Harvey when you need him? I want to hear the REST of the story.

"Lost power to the brakes and the nose wheel so he couldn’t stop the plane."

Hmmmmm. Where's Paul Harvey when you need him? I want to hear the REST of the story.
I could be wrong but on Malibu or Meridian I've been in had powered brakes or nosewheel steering.

I could be wrong but on Malibu or Meridian I've been in had powered brakes or nosewheel steering.

No redundancy? No accumulators? WOW. Nice design. :yikes: Hard rudder and a shot of power would have saved the engine at the cost of a wingtip, if he had time/room.

There is like NOTHING out there (no offense intended, swampfox.) You can go for half a mile in ANY direction except the direction he went and hit NOTHING.

It must be the magnets. Gotta be the magnets.

image.jpgFlew the Malibu up to Grand Island NE to look at the Meridian that got away.
Pretty ugly and expensive. There was a Musketeer that had a main gear bent over from landing short. Nice short flight and maybe my last in the Malibu.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the airplane but I talked with the FBO manager who was on the other side of the window when it hit. She said it was totaled because it pulled the wing away from the fuselage. Is that consistent with what you saw kmead?

No, the motors are in the back so it'll be cheaper when he obliterates the radome instead of the prop next time, DUH! :wink2:

Did you mean to write, "I could be wrong but no Malibu or Meridian - - - - -?"
Somehow, the meaning would change.

HR

I would expect the engine mount and firewall to be seriously damaged in addition to the prop and motor. But that's a good plane and I can't think it would be totaled.

I don't understand. Is there something special about meridians where you can't pull mixture and throttle to make the engine stop?

I don't understand. Is there something special about meridians where you can't pull mixture and throttle to make the engine stop?

They're turboprop engines, so you actually could pull the "mixture" (condition lever, basically the on/off switch) to stop it.

What makes it even dumber, though, is that you can also take the throttle over the detent and get reverse thrust, so a lack of brakes should be irrelevant in this situation.

I'd place my bet on PIBSAT.

(problem identified between seat and throttle)

Back