Making sure I am good for my AME to issue me in the office

S

SenorGiggle

I am 40, healthy male, my pronouns are he/him.

I have not seen a doctor in 4 years. I only go to the dentist and the eye doctor...I wear corrective lenses.

Only thing I am concerned about is being in Keto. I have heard, you can fail from ketosis.

Only thing I am concerned about is being in Keto. I have heard, you can fail from ketosis.
Ketosis is extremely reversible short term. Unless you have a medical history involving it, it's something you can reverse the day before your medical and never even bring it up on MedXpress or your exam. At least for now :)eek:) the FAA doesn't require information about your diet.

Frankly, even if ketones show up on a dipstick urine test I don't think that in and of itself it's even disqualifying.

They're not supposed to check for ketones, but the problem is that they tend to use the chem 7 test strips on the urine which does. I had an AME once come to me and say "Hey, there's something wrong here." I said, yes I'm spilling ketones. I'm on the Adkins diet. He suggested I go eat a bagel and come back with a UA.

I suggest you just head off the problem and eat some carbs that day. It doesn't take much to get you out of ketosis, and you can go back on the diet after you're issued.

with Atkins you know your diet ,just increase your carbs for a day or two.

I assume the concern would be ketoacidosis. Is that right?
...ketones in the presence of very high glucose levels....diabetes
so a pilot is eating a very healthy and proper diet with very low glucose and insulin levels...which is sort of the opposite of the diabetes and is keeping him very very far away from that disease
so the fix or work around to hide this healthy lifestyle is to eat sugar......nice one FAA! wow.

Having ketones in your urine is not disqualifying for FAA medical certification. Protein in your urine can be, but that doesn't happen from Adkins or other low carb diets. To the OP's question: if you're healthy, don't take any medications, and have no significant past medical history, you most likely won't have any issues at the AME. Rather than scheduling a consult appointment with an AME, I would recommend that you find a good primary care physician (PCP) and schedule an appointment to review your overall health status. Sorry to say, but after 40 if when things start breaking. Staying on top of things like blood pressure and cholesterol now will pay dividends later in life. So will having a relationship with a good PCP if you ever have issues with your FAA medical in the future.

Back