Make a complaint, be denied services

U

Unregistered

I wish to remain anon for the time being. That may change.

I am furious, perplexed, and saddened.

An elderly family member is in need of hip replacement surgery. Surgery was scheduled for 1st week in August. Surgery appointment was made in March.

Primary care physician (PPC) was out of the country on vaca so referred patient to Dr. X who is also to be the surgeon. Due to severe and persistent pain, medication was prescribed. Patient did not respond to medication. An alternative was needed. Dr. X did not respond to several weeks worth of phone calls made by patient. In the meanwhile, patient was 'self-medicating' with wine.

While that somewhat took the severity off the pain, it caused other problems. Namely, patient is now housebound because she is unfit to go into public. Also, due to her acute drunken state, patient was perceived as threat to her safety which mandated close supervision by others. (to prevent slip/fall accidents and the like) Otherwise, patient is highly lucid and somewhat ambulatory, enough to bathe etc.

Due to patient's anxiety of making further attempts to discuss with Dr. X following several failed attempts, I got involved. I spent an entire day making repeated phone calls to Dr. X's office. (Squeaky wheel gets the grease) Quite late in the day did Dr. X respond to my phone calls. The Dr's response as to advise that they had notified 'pain management' (PM) (associated with same medical facility) that they would be calling within two days. Also, Dr. X stated they would not prescribe other medication until further information was received from PPC. Dr. X advised at this time that I should direct further contacts only to PM.

Two days later I called Dr X to advise PM had not yet called and to request contact information so I may call them. I was given that information and I did start making multiple phone calls to PM until I finally got a response. PM did affirm that Dr. X stated this case requires immediate attention. PM then offered an appointment 6 weeks out. I rejected that appointment and firmly stated that relief must come sooner. I was brief to summarize patient's condition of severe and persistent pain, that her sleep suffers which is causing other complications and that in absence of relief provided by any medical professional, she must do something for the pain and that something is to 'self-medicate'.

Note: Dr. X advised 'no injections this close to surgery'. In discussing modalities with PM, PM told me they use injections only! Grrrrrr

Two days ago the surgery was cancelled by Dr. X. The Dr. tried to pawn that off on patient's 'history' of alcoholism. Today. patient had discussion with PPC who stated the reason the surgery was cancelled was because when 'complaint' was made to Dr. X the patient was labeled as a liability risk, ie, likely litigious.

In my phone calls to Dr. X and PM, I was very careful in choosing my words. I was sure to emphasize the patient's wine intake was only in the context of managing her pain. I repeated that often. Yet, today did PPC repeat what Dr. X had stated last week which was to say that I said that patient consumes 750 ml of wine per day. I NEVER said that!

Frankly, I do not care what they think I said or did not say. My primary contention is that based on what I esteem as only hearsay, Dr. X has found it appropriate too cancel the surgery and it was because of the patient's unsubstantiated 'alcoholism'.

Not incidentally, but for the past three weeks the patient has been on an alternative medication to which she responds very favorably. She has not had a drop of wine in these last 3 weeks. Yet, that is of no concern to Dr. X because there remains the notation that this patient constitutes a liability risk to the medical staff and facility.

My questions to anyone who has read this far and who has insight, is what avenues exist to move forward towards the needed surgery and better medical treatment. I can most assuredly state that this patient is NOT litigious but simply wants the surgery she was told she needed.

In every of my conversations with medical staff, my attitude was to 'partner' with them in order to encourage and promote provision of adequate pain relief. I was not combative or accusatory or any such thing. I was even complimented for my calm and even demeanor.

Imagine my shock to find that I am now perceived as being complaining. I suppose this could be construed as bruising my ego yet my sole purpose has been to act in to the benefit of the patient. And that goal is further removed by an uncooperative attitude.

Also, PM's offer of an OV 6 weeks hence would have come AFTER the surgery, therefore would not have offered ANY relief.

So now I complaining. But rather than linger there I seek resolution.

It is so easy to slip through the cracks guys the only way to make sure stuff is getting done is thru continued follow ups. For example, when you can't work anymore and your disability payments hinge on the premiums being paid or medical records being sent from office a to b. Don't rely on staff to set your doctor visits. Document everything and don't be afraid to pick up the phone and keep calling to get what you need.

You did good Imho.

You keep quiet and you slip through the cracks and get poor treatment, social security disability denied (when you clearly need it), private disability insurance payments interrupted, doctor visits skipped or missed and you'll be hurting.

I have no idea if this applies to the OP or not. But we have had instances in our veterinary clinic where a new client will come in with a problem and argue about every recommendation we make and challenge every charge based on what their previous vet charged. One recent client had a cat with a serious condition that required surgery. Our diagnosis consisted of X-rays, ultrasounds, punch biopsies and blood tests. The client argued about each step, but eventually allowed each test and then scheduled the surgery. Before surgery the called a dozen times asking if it was necessary and telling us that they had a bad experience at a vet hospital before and if asked if they would have to pay if the surgery was not successful because the last vet didn't charge after their pet died. I'm sure the previous vet tried to collect but the client was a jerk and the vet gave up. (That happens all the time in this business). Finally, we told the client we couldn't do the surgery and we recommended a specialty hospital 50 miles away. When they got their estimate, they came back begging us, but that wasn't a client we wanted to take on.

Yes, ^
X 1000.

There. Is. Someone. Every. Day.
probably every business has them.

(Bless those clients who can actually make a decision (and stick to it), based on the available info; who trust you to do your best but understand this is not Animal Planet, or a multimillion dollar referral center; who are willing to make a reasonable effort to help their animal; who actually have some financial plans for the inevitable health problem their animal will have; who do not deceive us, or (unfairly) bad-mouth us; who do not sabotage their animal's health through the use of that stupid Dr. Google!)

Nothing to do with the OP's issue. Just saw a familiar topic when JOhnH posted.

Last edited:
This is the result of introducing blame into your argument to get her better pain management.

Ten years ago physicians were considered uncaring and bad if a patient's pain wasn't treated immediately, usually with ever increasing doses of narcotics. Now, the same physicians are being accused of overprescribing the same narcotics, leading to an increase of people addicted to things like oxycodone and heroin.

There is increasing government and insurance company pressure to get better outcomes, which means not operating on patients with risk factors like uncontrolled diabetes, obesity, heart disease, and yes chronic alcohol usage and drug dependence. These and other factors are associated with increased risk of complications, and now surgeons are accused of showing bad judgement if operating under these circumstances.

Finally, except in rare circumstances, no one "needs" a hip replacement- it is an operation for pain and quality of life, but not a necessity such as an operation to save a limb or a life. The surgeon is under no obligation to perform an elective operation on someone deemed high risk for complications.

Your best bet might be to start over with another surgeon.

Sorry , health care is a business, if you don't like the service go elsewhere. Doctors will avoid difficult patients.... just like any other business.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

This is so weird. When mama Steingar fell and broke her hip she was in the surgery within days. The operation destroyed what was left of her cognitive ability, but the pain would've done worse.

This is so weird. When mama Steingar fell and broke her hip she was in the surgery within days. The operation destroyed what was left of her cognitive ability, but the pain would've done worse.

Break and fall is different from degenerative conditions.

Break and fall is different from degenerative conditions.

If that much pain is involved the therapy is identical. Like I said, my one experience was pretty good. I've never heard of anyone having to wait weeks for a hip replacement except this right here.

It's common to wait weeks if not months for a hip replacement. Patients might require an extensive medical evaluation and tune up. BMI over 40 or hemoglobin A1C over 8.0? These days these are considered addressable risks, so patients now are expected to take responsibility to lose weight or get their diabetes under control prior to surgery. Might also need cardiac testing, etc. This is an elective operation so there's no need to do surgery until the patient is medically optimal.

In this case the physician can document that they did not believe the patient was a good surgical candidate. There is no obligation to treat in a non life or limb threatening situation. There is no presumed contract to operate, and I doubt any court would decide that a surgeon who chose not to operate based upon a medical condition would ever be at fault.

If that much pain is involved the therapy is identical. Like I said, my one experience was pretty good. I've never heard of anyone having to wait weeks for a hip replacement except this right here.
My brother waited over a year just to get evaluated for a hip replacement. It was approved and the surgery was scheduled, and rescheduled and rescheduled with no end in site. Since he could barely walk, he gained 30 pounds and developed high blood pressure and has become borderline diabetic. That caused them to reschedule it again. He has given up on the VA for this.

The VA is entirely a different situation. They have fiscal constraints that make them prioritize patients, as in Canada. However, the patient has responsibility to stop smoking and get their weight and blood glucose to acceptable levels, as in intake control and diabetes management.

OP here.
I am aware of the multitudes of complaining people. I can be a real jerk but I also know the very best way to get another to do what you want them to do is treat them exceptionally nice. Politeness and respect, never placating or condescending, full of false praise. Dr. X's staff actually complimented me on my demeanor. I even had them laughing as we discussed the patient and treatment.

So it was quite the shock when Dr. X herself stated that her staff was very upset and that I had called only to complain. The dissonance perplexed me. But the good Dr had also made a comment that perhaps offered an explanation. She had said that they get so many phone calls and they all seem to be complaints. Ok, I see. They are sensitized to complainers to the degree that they expect the caller to complain. I don't know if that is truly the case but it works for me.

Too, I hadn't had any contact with that Dr or staff prior to this so what did I have to complain about? Anyway, I simply tried to gain their participation in conjuring an alternate means to pain relief. It would not have occurred to me that that alternative means would be to disassociate themselves from the patient.

Also, the PCP (thank you) with whom my family member has a long time very positive relationship said directly to her that if the Dr did not know her as well as the Dr does, the Dr would have dropped the patient in a heartbeat over this. Gosh! I cannot help but think what kind of Alice In Wonderland world is this?

The latest update is patient was provided an alternative med (Vicodin) to which she responded very well. Now she has discontinued that med in favor of a Naprosyn type Rx which she responds to very well. She is fine and has regained nearly all her mobility. She awaits the injection to be provided by PM. Her sleep has returned to normal, she is not sluggish or depressed and she has regained her usual zest.

I can appreciate the story provided by the Vet (JOhnH) and others but certainly that is not the case here.

However, I just do not understand how things can be turned on their ear so easily. Based on hearsay a surgery (elective or not) was cancelled and the PCP stated they were close to dropping the patient. I mean, how did Dr X conclude as she did which formed the basis of her behavior/comments especially when her staff were so accommodating and a found pleasure in our conversations. Professional placating at work? No longer care, just something I am slightly curious about.

Thanks everyone for the dialogue on this non-av subject.

Sorry , health care is a business, if you don't like the service go elsewhere. Doctors will avoid difficult patients.... just like any other business.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

Pray tell where was the 'difficulty'? Over time I have had several GPs of my own as an adult male. Either they moved or I moved out of the area. I had very good relationships with every one of them save one. That turned out because he was also on the board of the school district. You know complaining? You know nothing about complaining until you sit on a school board. Other than him being tired from hearing it up to here, we were solid. Unfortunate for his patients, he retired soon thereafter.

My current GP, I know if anything of which I said to Dx X's staff I could and would say to him and suffer not the repercussions like which Dr X used as basis for her determination.

That is the other thing that got to me. A surgery scheduled nearly 6 months prior was dropped merely days before the surgery. Patient was crestfallen because each day was a day closer to relief. Nearly 6 months of anticipation of inching closer day by day...vanished on what was tantamount to hearsay. If knowing it would have been like this, patient would have done things differently. And offering no alternative means to boot. Compassion where art thou?

What is that old saying again ? 'Squeaky wheel gets the boot' or something like that.

A surgeon who is booked out for months doesn't have to put up with difficult patients or difficult relatives. The surgery is elective, that applies to both sides.

If her pain is easily relieved by just naproxen then maybe surgery wasn't indicated in the first place, especially if they hadn't even tried an injection? Sounds like they jumped to surgery before trying and exhausting all of the non operative options.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back