Major winter storm of 2011

Am I reading this wrong? Can I really be in the coldest place in the US, even though I am one of the more southern locations?
Unfair.

Attachments

• map.JPG
    map.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 17
Groundhog Day 2011

#1: Rather difficult to hang out the laundry.
#2 & #3: Path for the hungry feral mountain lions and bob cats.(30+ inches)
#4 Those moochers better show some appreciation for the hard work.
#5: Finally, a sunny day.

HR

Attachments

• Groundhog Day1.jpg
    Groundhog Day1.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Groundhog Day2.jpg
    Groundhog Day2.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Groundhog Day3.jpg
    Groundhog Day3.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Groundhog Day4.jpg
    Groundhog Day4.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 13
  • Groundhog Day5.jpg
    Groundhog Day5.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 10
Am I reading this wrong? Can I really be in the coldest place in the US, even though I am one of the more southern locations?
Unfair.

Well, if you restrict yourself to the lower 48, then no, you're not reading it wrong. Some people here seem to think that Alaska is part of the US, however, and I suspect they have you beat! Ambler and Chandalar Lake right now are both at -14F. OTOH, many other locations in Alaska are warmer than you! :)

We're going through a warm spell here at home :) Normally we seldom see temps above zero and can be at -30 for weeks but yes we were warmer than West Texas today. And Tuesday we were above freezing - for a few minutes, anyway.

Hm. I ventured out for the first time since (I'm sick on top of it all... Ugh) and we got it worse than I'd thought. The roads are narrower and the snow is chest-high in many places next to them.

OK, this is frickin' nuts. 5+" of snow.

In Dallas.

On top of glare ice.

I drove to the office today, but it was an act of random stupidity.

lIbCt_FN0lbiGlUA7H6uJg
Wh7NvMfbz1RXiVYlNFXEuw

Wh7NvMfbz1RXiVYlNFXEuw

Attachments

• DSC02639.JPG
    DSC02639.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC02640.JPG
    DSC02640.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC02641.JPG
    DSC02641.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Mrs. Steingar declined to go to work on Tuesday despite the fact that the University remained open. Her colleague attempted to come in, slipped, and tore her knee up quite spectacularly.

Sounds like eastern TX is having a tough time. Our main office in Houston is closed and my remediation site in Bryan is also shut down and having lots of problems with the freezing weather.

Gary

My parents' roof collapsed yesterday because their main water pipe (standpipe?) into the house froze and broke. Lot of water damage, lot of collapse damage.

They went to a hotel and the pipes burst there too. Albuquerque is having a very rough time. State of Emergency declared because of lack of gas pressure to supply heat to residents. Many businesses closed to help with the request to keep gas pressure available for residents.

I picked the right time to leave New Mexico, it appears.

Snow day! Fourth day in a row below freezing which is letting the ice that we got Tuesday stay on roads, etc. We got between 3 and 4" where I am in Dallas, but IT'S STILL COMING DOWN!

Best,

Dave

Hmm. 15 inches of snow here Tuesday night. We more or less recovered within 24 hours. I will take a foot of snow where they know how to deal with it over an inch of ice where they don't any day.

:D

That sunshine looks promising, Diana.
Sunshine is good for the spirits. :yes: Wine is a good second if one gets tired of white and grey. ;)

Wow, that is nuts! I certainly feel for all the critters outside everywhere.

I wonder what is causing all this crazy weather?

In Dallas.

On top of glare ice.

I drove to the office today, but it was an act of random stupidity.

Just think of it as punishment meted out to Jerry Jones for allowing them northerners instead of his Cowbouys) to play in the Super Bowl in his home city. :cornut:

Yup, nearly 20" of snow here (on the level - 4 foot in drifts) followed by clear skies, bright sun, and wind chills in the -20 F range here... Other than causing me to spend about 3 hours running around the mile square in the backhoe making a plow pass down every neighbor's driveway early Wednesday morning (just to give them a head start on it) it has had no effect on our lives... Southern states are paralyzed...

Well, I do have to admit that our girls (chickens) are giving me reproachful looks after they stick their heads out the door and almost immediately pull back and wander off to stand in front of the warm air coming out of the blower...

denny-o

My parents' roof collapsed yesterday because their main water pipe (standpipe?) into the house froze and broke. Lot of water damage, lot of collapse damage.

They went to a hotel and the pipes burst there too. Albuquerque is having a very rough time. State of Emergency declared because of lack of gas pressure to supply heat to residents. Many businesses closed to help with the request to keep gas pressure available for residents.

I picked the right time to leave New Mexico, it appears.
I do like how my house is built to deal with cold. Nothing like looking out my window at -10F while standing in 72 degrees while only paying about $70 a month in heat.

I do like how my house is built to deal with cold. Nothing like looking out my window at -10F while standing in 72 degrees while only paying about $70 a month in heat.

That sounds nice. I'm curious how expensive its going to be to heat my house in Winston-Salem. We have heat pumps, so everything is electric....time will tell.

Hmm. 15 inches of snow here Tuesday night. We more or less recovered within 24 hours. I will take a foot of snow where they know how to deal with it over an inch of ice where they don't any day.

:D

Man, I bet the Packers and Packer fans down there are just laughing... And chances are, those people who are on the road and making their way okay are the Packer fans. :D

I left my windows open to air out the car parked on the street when I was jockeying the cars to make clearing room on the driveway. The neighbor called and warned me it was snowing. I said I'd deal with it - it wasn't snowing that hard. When I got my round tuit it had about 3 inches of fluff on the seat. Ooops!

Kent will (not) like this one:
attachment.php

It was obvious to me that the right lane had filled with a bunch of snow that drifted. In front of the semi was a smashed up SUV. So we can guess it went like: the SUV driver hit and/or attempted to dodge the snow in the right lane, hit the semi and other cars and as the semi driver avoided killing them all the semi jack-knifed. Thus we have "Semi jack-knifes and closes the Edens!" They disparately wanted to add the usual "overturns" and that was the initial report but it was too obvious that wouldn't work.

Attachments

• 116125820-04055018.jpg
    116125820-04055018.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 111
I got an e-mail from my next door neighbor and he says that there is a four foot drift across the entire front of my garage. OMG, what am I going to do? I'm going to the beach to think about it. He really needs to get that stuff out of there before I get back. :D

Last edited:
Kent will (not) like this one:
attachment.php

It was obvious to me that the right lane had filled with a bunch of snow that drifted. In front of the semi was a smashed up SUV. So we can guess it went like: the SUV driver hit and/or attempted to dodge the snow in the right lane, hit the semi and other cars and as the semi driver avoided killing them all the semi jack-knifed. Thus we have "Semi jack-knifes and closes the Edens!" They disparately wanted to add the usual "overturns" and that was the initial report but it was too obvious that wouldn't work.

Oh yeah. Gotta love the media.

And, I think your speculation as to the cause is likely spot on. I've been soooooo close to that a number of times, but I had already decided that I'm not gonna kill myself to save an idiot... So, I would simply let off all the pedals and continue on course so as to keep the control I had.

I hope the jackass with the white SUV down in Indiana learned his lesson, after losing it next to me, spinning in front of me, blowing all four tires when he hit the median sideways, and ending up on the opposite side of the interstate. Amazingly, we didn't swap any paint.

Of course, my 12 year old garage door opener dies o the coldest week of the year. A board fried.

It took me five hours to get the new one up and working. COLD cold cold cold cold.

Sigh.

Attachments

• IMG00019-20110204-1832.jpg
    IMG00019-20110204-1832.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 18
No snow involved but enough ice to cause major headaches in Jackson, MS and points south. The "Stack" on I-55/I-20 interchange glazed over right after being deiced by MDOT and a couple minor accidents ended up stranding motorists for over 5 hrs yesterday evening.

http://www.wapt.com/video/26741992/detail.html

Two fatalities occurred just hours apart on another interstate bridge about 40 miles south of Jackson, not far from where my wife works.

http://www.wapt.com/weather/26746967/detail.html

Never ceases to amaze me that people don't understand the idea of driving (or not driving) as conditions dictate. Icy roads only happen a few days out of the year around here, but it happens most every year.

More snow for us today... :hairraise:

100_3825.jpg

I think it's bad when even the Siberian Husky looks like she is getting tired of Winter. :rolleyes2:

My friend Bob is about 18 miles north of Concord, NH and lives several miles up Kearsarge Mountain Road in Warner, NH. He is a former CFI in Concord and Manchester. Pictured is his building which houses his tractor and other machinery.

HR

This isn't too far, by air, from where a Lear jet went missing many years ago and was only discovered several years later.

Attachments

• Bob Heslop's Hidden Tractor.jpg
    Bob Heslop's Hidden Tractor.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 15
Harley,

Did he have to shovel all that snow???

Have you ever been to the B-52 wreckage in Greenville?

- - - don't know about all the removal factor.

- - - I've never seen the B-52 location; however, I think PoA NC Pilot(Mark) once trekked through the woods to the site. Seems to me he has done some energy work at the paper mills up there and, so, was in the area. Perhaps Mark will chime in on this. And speaking of Mark, we haven't seen RUSH around here for a long time. Hoping she is well.

HR

ha, it all thawed today - I went to the hardware store and it was jam-packed, standing room only at the pvc plumbing section! Never seen so many people in the store, and certainly never so many with pvc elbows, splices, etc. glue in their hand!

I discovered I had a busted steel pipe (shorn spigot) spewing in the middle of the field, had no idea it was even there.

ha, it all thawed today - I went to the hardware store and it was jam-packed, standing room only at the pvc plumbing section! Never seen so many people in the store, and certainly never so many with pvc elbows, splices, etc. glue in their hand!

I discovered I had a busted steel pipe (shorn spigot) spewing in the middle of the field, had no idea it was even there.

Now there will be a run on sump pumps.

We're supposed to touch 32 degrees tomorrow, Sunday. I wonder if one of the 6 foot tall monuments on my driveway will shrink.

I had ordered a desk chair that was due to arrive by FedEx ground on Tuesday. I kinda knew that wasn't going to happen. It spent a few days in Champaign. But the driver managed to wrangle it fairly near my door on Thursday. I owe that guy a soft drink.

Tagging on.

Well, we finally got a little taste of what everyone else has been struggling with. The storm that dumped 6" on Dallas overnight Thursday night made it to us last night. We only got about 3" though, just enough to make for pretty scenery. It'll be gone by tomorrow.

A couple of shots looking across the valley at the house & barn:

19666-Snow-2-5-11-001.jpg

19667-Snow-2-5-11-004.jpg

A shot looking up the drive from the south, our small steam is on the right:

19668-Snow-2-5-11-005.jpg

A couple of shots looking off the bridge in front of the house:

19669-Snow-2-5-11-007.jpg

19670-Snow-2-5-11-010.jpg

A shot looking back at the house & barn from the north:

19671-Snow-2-5-11-011.jpg

And snug inside with a fire:

19672-Snow-2-5-11-012.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know about you guys, but I am definitely getting tired of this winter weather!

Back