Major winter storm of 2011

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I am hoping that y'all will check in from time to time to let us know how you are and if you are still safe. That way I won't worry about my friends all over the country that gather here on the blue board.

Thanks. :)

We brought the generator over from the hangar to the farmhouse and we're ready to crank it up if need be.

From the way the news people are covering it here in Illinois there probably is not much of a chance that any of us will survive. Local governments are already announcing closures. I just heard a couple of people in office saying that they are going home early today. We are doomed.

I was just down in Rolla over the weekend - they are getting ready to get hit. Up here, they're calling for about a foot of snow tomorrow, then temps around 0F on Wed.

Right now we have freezing drizzle. Parking lots, driveways, and sidewalks are pretty bad.

Hope you don't get hit too hard, but it's not looking good.

C'Mon, Scott. If it's 26+ inches as in 1967 it will be bad, bad, bad. I agree that the TV stations like to act like it doesn't snow here every year, though. They were already saying that this season before this disaster was one of the top 5 or 6 worst and as far as I was concerned it was a breeze, mostly I guess, because we got a nice thaw and all that snow went south and east up until now.

I'm off to the airport to fill up the gas can with 100LL for the John Deere with the snow blower. I'll clear the driveway of my too-many cars as much as possible.

Chicago is dooooooomed. Dis time duh Mare don't care about re-election. The citizens better plan on staying inside until April.

This is pretty funny: http://dailyherald.com/article/20110130/news/701309913/

Meteorologists bringing cots to work? Seriously, the worst part about these kinds of storms are the damn meteorologists* interrupting whatever I'm watching on TV with a report that, yes, it is snowing.

I like the snow. I've barely put my 32" Ariens 2 stage snow blower through its paces this season, with a few 3-6 inch snows. Pffft. Sometimes I don't even bother - my 300ft lane is pretty flat.

This time: Bring it on!!!

*Not speaking about you, ScottD. Unless you're one of those TV guys with the clickers!

This is pretty funny: http://dailyherald.com/article/20110130/news/701309913/

Meteorologists bringing cots to work? Seriously, the worst part about these kinds of storms are the damn meteorologists* interrupting whatever I'm watching on TV with a report that, yes, it is snowing.

I like the snow. I've barely put my 32" Ariens 2 stage snow blower through its paces this season, with a few 3-6 inch snows. Pffft. Sometimes I don't even bother - my 300ft lane is pretty flat.

This time: Bring it on!!!

*Not speaking about you, ScottD. Unless you're one of those TV guys with the clickers!

Even funnier:

The weather service said the storm, expected to arrive Tuesday afternoon over much of northern Illinois and Northwest Indiana, could be "dangerous, multifaceted and potentially life-threatening."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...fall-chicago-indiana-20110130,0,3874341.story

The weather service said the storm, expected to arrive Tuesday afternoon over much of northern Illinois and Northwest Indiana, could be "dangerous, multifaceted and potentially life-threatening."

Hell, life itself can be life-threatening! :dunno:

I am hoping that y'all will check in from time to time to let us know how you are and if you are still safe. That way I won't worry about my friends all over the country that gather here on the blue board.

Thanks. :)

We brought the generator over from the hangar to the farmhouse and we're ready to crank it up if need be.

Thank you for your concern, but no worries from Puget Sound, we are having a beautiful day of high overcast, filtered sunshine, and 52 degrees. Our Daffies are up about 6" in very soggy ground, after 3 weeks of heavy rain, which did not require shoveling, nor did have to chain up the jeep.

Spring has sprung in the northwest.

Can we have a group dedicated to eliminating the following from any and all broadcasts?

1. "[precipitation type] event"
  2. "wind chill"
  3. "Now, folks here tell me.... [ad naseum effulvia that does not require the introductory "now")

No snow forecasted here in Winston-Salem. I'll take it!

No snow forecasted here in Winston-Salem. I'll take it!

If it snows a flake, look out!

remitstheend.jpg

Last edited:
The predictions are more "dire" for the "midwest" than us, but it's friggin' cold here already. I posted a new thread Re: Density Altitude... for us here, with the low predicted at -19F tomorrow. We still won't quite make it to sea level performance numbers... ;) :cool2:

I had some pretty bad icing that I couldn't climb out of this morning. The OAT was -12°C but I was getting hit with supercooled rain drops- that stuff accumulates fast.

Attachments

• DSCN1331.JPG
    DSCN1331.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 40
My son in Fayetteville has his generator ready too. Hunker down, Diana. This too will pass.

Hey, thanks for the thought. I just brought mine home from the airport - just in case.

Also got a 5 gallon can of gas that will go in the airplane when I find I don't need it for the generator. :wink2:

you will be fine Diana, as long as Tom has all the breakfast fix'ins available you will be able to survive. I will keep checking on you just the same though.
:wink2:

Chicago is dooooooomed. Dis time duh Mare don't care about re-election. The citizens better plan on staying inside until April.
Well, I'm not going to get too worried about our weather unless Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel shows up here. Oh, wait....I just saw that he is in Chicago right now. ;)

My son in Fayetteville has his generator ready too. Hunker down, Diana. This too will pass.
Stacey, I didn't realize that you had a son in Fayetteville. I hear that they may be getting more ice than us. I hope he doesn't have any problems down there.

you will be fine Diana, as long as Tom has all the breakfast fix'ins available you will be able to survive. I will keep checking on you just the same though.
:wink2:
Thanks, Bob. :D We just brought all 90 plants from the green house into the house. The two heaters out in the greenhouse won't be able to keep the plants from freezing if it gets down to -12° like they are forecasting.

The ONE year I head south for the winter they get clobbered...damn. And I'm serious, it would be really good if I was there right now to take care of some things.

We're just far enough south that the precipitation is supposed to stay liquid. Maybe a little snow on Wednesday, but nothing like the poor folks in the St. Louis area are supposed to get. The freezing stuff is supposed to fizzle on a line about 60mi S of STL.

But even if all hell breaks loose and we lose power, I have plenty of beer, I have a whole house generator in the barn and about 50 gallons of gas (and probably another 100+ in various vehicles that I could syphon if it comes to that). We might even have a little food around here too but that's not nearly as important as the beer. ;-)

We'll survive!

If anyone finds themself forecast to be out of power for an extended time and wants to come down...COME ON DOWN!!!! (dead serious)

If anyone finds themselves forecast to be out of power for an extended time and wants to come down...COME ON DOWN!!!! (dead serious)

I find that ironic from a guy named Winters. :cheerswine:

I had some pretty bad icing that I couldn't climb out of this morning. The OAT was -12°C but I was getting hit with supercooled rain drops- that stuff accumulates fast.

Try Missouri in December.

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 15
Stacey, I didn't realize that you had a son in Fayetteville. I hear that they may be getting more ice than us. I hope he doesn't have any problems down there.

Thanks Diana. He is preparing for the worst. He has a generator that he bought last ice storm. Have to keep my grandkids warm! He should be OK. Hang in there. Even in paradise (Tom and Diana's farm) sometimes a little rain (or ice) must fall.

Colorado is on the map. But all I can see we're getting is cold, snow quit this afternoon. That's not new. Two feet on Chicago will be a problem.

I have plenty of hot chocolate, and the next couple of days off. Also spent last week in Florida, so I am recharged a little. Bring it on. :D

I have plenty of hot chocolate, and the next couple of days off. Also spent last week in Florida, so I am recharged a little. Bring it on. :D

Just has to mess with my flight training...

*Curses Odin*

Hi Diana! Generators are a good thing! I'm in TX and I'm not going back to AR for this storm :wink2:. I did the last two years of the 'no power for however many days' thing. I figure I'll just wait 'till the spring thaw this time :wink2:. Seriously, stay safe and warm!! :thumbsup:

Plenty of gas in the propane tank, and plenty of sandwich meat in the fridge. Ice cream may be problematic: Maybe we'll have to just eat it all!! :eek:

Stay warm, Tom and Diana, and Tim and all the rest of youse guys!! :thumbsup:

The predictions are more "dire" for the "midwest" than us, but it's friggin' cold here already. I posted a new thread Re: Density Altitude... for us here, with the low predicted at -19F tomorrow. We still won't quite make it to sea level performance numbers... ;) :cool2:
I escaped just in time!

My airline flight this morning was delayed for about an hour and a half before boarding while they tried to get "ice off the fan blades". I was wondering how ice even got on the fan blades since the airplane only taxied in about 45 minutes before departure and it wasn't snowing much. Then we had to go out to the deice pad. I was sitting right over the wing today so I made it a point to watch the type 4 fluid shear off the wing. I have always heard it's supposed to be gone before rotation but it wasn't. Maybe half of it was.

School is cancelled tomorrow for it being too cold... Now I'm going skiing all day outside tomorrow :goofy:

Well, I'm hoping for a snow day on Wednesday, and also hoping to get off early Tuesday to trade the rental Civic for the SUV. Made sure this evening that I could fire up Mike's old snow blower. After I gave it fresh gas, I was able to get it going.

I am listening to the TurboSleet falling. I know our power will fail, and it will be off for at least two days, because that's just what happens; our electrical infrastructure is old and fragile, so we know this will happen. It always does.

I have a generator in the garage, but no extra gasoline; my big gas can resides in the back yard, and apparently the yard man helped himself to its contents.

Push comes to shove, we have options. But I hate this; know that no one will show up for work today (except my partner and me).

Crossposted from the DFWPilots.com message board:

Welcome to the Great White North!!!

North Texas that is!

hosers.jpg

So, Our topic of the day is...

Seriously, who in Wisconsin left the freezer door open, eh?

I'm actually at the auto salvage yard (family business) at work. Phones 100% dead with only out of staters calling. I would answer the phone with the GWN theme song, but no one gets the joke.

I'm gonna have to rustle up the Coleman just to keep my feet warm.

Beauty, eh?

One of the local weather guessers says it's gonna be in the 20's until Friday. Then back up to short sleeve weather by TFR Sunday ... errr.. Super Bow Sunday.

KDFW is shut down completely for the first time since 9/11.

Doesn't seem too bad here at the moment.

I am, right now, sitting behind the wheel of a Mustang, top down, cruise control set at 52 mph. According to the nav screen, it's 76 degrees F. and I just drove right through the middle of DTW.

(The car is inside on a chassis dynamometer not actually moving, and the GPS has no signal. I'm wating for a script to run so we can move to the next step in the test. It might not be so nice outside.)

Back