Major winter storm of 2011

I'm with you! I was able to borrow a roof rake from my cousin. The SNORK is about the best I've ever used. Of course, I need to buy a roof rake. Nobody has any. I LMAO when Home Depot, straight-faced, told me "they're out-of-season." Yesterday I went to a really good True Value store whose management told me they had "100 coming in tomorrow at 1:00 o'clock, the last 100 the Canadian manufacturer was producing this season; it'll be first come-first serve." So I went back (today) at 12:30 to perhaps stand in-line. At 1:15 the associate told us that the "1:00 o'clock time had been given them two days ago by the truck driver coming from Canada; and who knows, if he found a girl at some bar while coming down through the northern woods he might be delayed." Finally, the store began taking names: "We'll call you." About an hour later I received a call. "The truck arrived; plenty of shovels but no roof rakes. Our management is at a trade show and has informed us that there's none available from any manufacturer. They're all retooling for production of garden tools for the summer."

What I managed to clear from my roof was 32" deep in places. Snow was up to my waist when I took the photo. The five foot wide deck on this side of the house is under there, somewhere. "Ah, wherefore art thou, Spring?"

HR

Attachments

• Storm Roof Clearance 020811.jpg
    Storm Roof Clearance 020811.jpg
    831 KB · Views: 16
6-9" here in wichita the last few days. i bought a shovel. should be all melted by the weekend.

A roofrake?? It couldn't be simpler to make your own. Just get a length of electrical conduit for a handle and some scraps of half inch plywood for blade. Should be really easy to cobble one together.

Well, we still don't have water at the house! Since last Tuesday... However, Kevin thought he had it made last night about 9:30pm then discovered that the pipe that was split at the house was split in such a way that the plane he had to "fix" it for a bit wouldn't work.... He was up at the pump house till 11 insulating the fixes he had made and draining the pipes etc... All this because it froze again on us last night and won't get above freezing today. It's about 9*F now
Our whole town has been having trouble and the 2 hardware stores were OUT of materials until yesterday at 1 - same situation w/ the roof rakes... folks were waiting at the store ready to get supplies.
I'm sure that by next week when it's in the mid 70s again it'll be all just fine.......

"Ah, wherefore art thou, Spring?"HR

we'll be sending it along soon. there was a bit of frost here this morning, but It's 57 degrees, and spring has sprung here already.

Attachments

• DSCN1902.jpg
    DSCN1902.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Jeanie if you need water, I can ship you some! Would you like the small cubes or the big blocks? :D
Or just come on over and we'll all sit by the woodstove with hot chocolate and brandy!

Jeanie if you need water, I can ship you some! Would you like the small cubes or the big blocks? :D
Or just come on over and we'll all sit by the woodstove with hot chocolate and brandy!

Oooo, hot chocolate and brandy? That sounds really nice....

1) The first one is the major state route which was plowed continually by the IL DOT. The county declared all roads closed except by emergency. Across the road that frontage street is like mine. No way in or out. (more later.)

2-5) Out my front door. That large lump at the front of the stairs is my John Deere with the snow blower. See if you can spot the mailboxes on each side of the street.

6) I was amazed that the local contractor could plow though stuff piled that high.

Attachments

• feb snow 11 IMG_0120.jpg
    feb snow 11 IMG_0120.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • feb snow 11 IMG_0115.jpg
    feb snow 11 IMG_0115.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • Feb snow sm IMG_0116.jpg
    Feb snow sm IMG_0116.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • feb snow 11 IMG_0114.jpg
    feb snow 11 IMG_0114.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • feb snow 11 IMG_0119.jpg
    feb snow 11 IMG_0119.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • feb snow 11 IMG_0123.jpg
    feb snow 11 IMG_0123.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Tom:
I was thinking of your daffodils when I took this photo; and lamenting the likely lateness of my iris(s), bee balm, hollyhock, hostas, and lupines next to the foundation.

HR

Attachments

• House Front Winter.jpg
    House Front Winter.jpg
    634.8 KB · Views: 10
Back to 'normal' weather here today. Severe clear with some low level ice fog in the valleys.

METAR PAIN 131856Z AUTO 00000KT 3SM CLR M41/M44 A2956 RMK AO1 PNO

We've finally got some wx that is above freezing. Supposed to be in the forties for the next few days. Be nice to see all this stuff melt. May even be able to get the motorcycle out.

It was 65F today - went for a nice motorcycle ride.

Similar here. Temps today were around 45, warmest it's been since before Christmas. It's expected to be around 50 for the next week or so. HORAAY!!

It was in the mid to upper 40's in WI today - I flew to OSH and went to the museum (followed by a hop to SBM for dinner) and there was a Starduster in the pattern. Definitely the first tolerable open cockpit day here this year!

yesterday hit mid 50's in wichita. supposed to be mid 70's by thursday!

We have water again !! Yea, and it's going to be 80 tomorrow :)....

Back