Major repair in Log, but no 337

killerfish72

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
John
Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing an airplane that had a new right wing installed in 1981. This is documented in the logs and the log even references a filed 337. But, the FAA documents do not have the 337 included. And the owner doesn't have it.

My question is this: Is this something I should worry about in the sense if I purchase and later decide to sell it could be a problem? If so, is there a way to 'go back' and have an A&P confirm it's all good and send in a 337 after the fact?

Thanks
John

6 AIMNISTEUTIVE PROCESSING. At least an original and one duplicate copy

of the FAA Form 337 will be executed.
The aircraft is not airworthy until the 337 is approved. The owner should have a copy of this. If not and the FAA does not have a copy you would need to submit a new 337.

6 AIMNISTEUTIVE PROCESSING. At least an original and one duplicate copy

of the FAA Form 337 will be executed.
The aircraft is not airworthy until the 337 is approved. The owner should have a copy of this. If not and the FAA does not have a copy you would need to submit a new 337.

Thanks AKBill. Not sure I understand the 6 AIMISTEUTIVE PROCESSING part. But, any idea what would be involved to submit a new 337? (My first plane, so bear with the rookie questions :) ).

Thanks AKBill. Not sure I understand the 6 AIMISTEUTIVE PROCESSING part. But, any idea what would be involved to submit a new 337? (My first plane, so bear with the rookie questions :) ).
Block 7 of the 337 needs to be signed off by an IA and Block 6 is looking for a U.S. Certificated mechanic or a Repair Station, do you know and A&P that can help out, it's not a big deal, just needs paperwork to be done properly, I've known owners in the past that had a wing damaged and had a new wing put on and said there was no damage to the aircraft cause it had a new part put on, I didn't get into that conversation, wish you the best on this plane

A wing replacement by itself would not trigger the need for a 337. A 337 may also not be needed if the work was done by a repair station. More information would really be needed to determine what really happened.

The fact that there is a log entry referencing a 337 implies that one existed at some point, or someone at least intended to do one. How long ago was this work performed? Can you call the shop or mechanic who did it and see if they can help you out? Better yet, make the current owner do it since it is really their problem.

I'm looking at purchasing an airplane that had a new right wing installed in 1981. This is documented in the logs and the log even references a filed 337.
More info needed as I don't quite follow your comment: was a new (different) wing assembly installed, or was the original wing repaired then reinstalled? If the latter, then a 337 is required. If the former, there are several possibilities were a 337 would not be applicable to your aircraft.

Happened in 1981 when the plane was 3 years old. Log entry simply states: "Left Wing Replaced with Wing that had been repaired. See 337 in File. Test Flown and Check Ok". There's a signature that's impossible to read. So, really tough to tell. I did request the owner to square it away before purchase and that I wasn't looking to renegotiate agreed price. Just that I'd like to see that cleared up.

Happened in 1981 when the plane was 3 years old. Log entry simply states: "Left Wing Replaced with Wing that had been repaired. See 337 in File. Test Flown and Check Ok". There's a signature that's impossible to read. So, really tough to tell. I did request the owner to square it away before purchase and that I wasn't looking to renegotiate agreed price. Just that I'd like to see that cleared up.
If the L/H wing was repaired under a different aircraft then parted out and sold for install on your aircraft then the 337 is filed under the previous aircraft and not technically applicable to your aircraft file. If this is the case and the wing was a replacement action you can request a write up verifying the replacement wing is the correct P/N assembly for your S/N airframe if you want. If you need more, then talk to the IA who will do your next annual and get their input as it will be his call on what he'll accept.

Back