Mailing a Pizza

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Can a New York pizza survive being mailed to the West Coast?

How about if it were frozen first and shipped by overnight mail?

I prefer not to freeze it, if at all possible, though, so as not to ruin the texture of the crust.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Rich

Also, would it be okay to use Food Stamps to mail it?

-Rich

Laminate it.

That's how I mailed a Pop-Tart when I was in college.

Doubt it. It would ruin the delicate flavor associated with a good NY pizza. You can ship Chicago pizza 5 day ground without refrigeration in summer and the recipient probably couldn't tell the difference!

Try shipping it with dry-ice like they do salmon from Alaska. You may "break down" the slices so they fit in a box.

Try shipping it with dry-ice like they do salmon from Alaska. You may "break down" the slices so they fit in a box.

Hmmm... Maybe a UPS store could do that for me. I'll have to call one tomorrow. Thanks.

-Rich

my dad looked into shipping half cooked pizzas on dry ice at one time. it was possible but $$$$

By the time you sink your teeth into it, a day old Domino's from your refrigerator would probably taste a whole lot better. Even one of those frozen $1.98 Totino's Party Pizzas your local supermarket might be a serious contender.

Think about it. You place your order, they cook it, they package it, then send it out UPS overnight for around fifty or sixty bucks, two to four hours after they take it from the oven. You get it, then it sits in your refrigerator until you get home and re-heat it. It is not going to be a great pizza no more.

Then New Yorkers may not take all that kindly to having to go to all that extra work. Remember that episode on the Sopranos when the mobster hawked up a logi on the cops sandwich?

John

Can a New York pizza survive being mailed to the West Coast?
They have Dominos on the west coast. Same stuff.

How about if it were frozen first and shipped by overnight mail?

I prefer not to freeze it, if at all possible, though, so as not to ruin the texture of the crust.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Rich
I used to try and send a friend who had moved from Chicago to Baltimore pizza. It never really worked very well. It was easier for me to just half cook it, put it on ice and drive to Baltimore on a visit.

Call Adam's Ribs in Chicago for instructions. They mailed the ribs to MASH in Korea, so Kali should be no problem. Don't forget the sauce.

I have it on good authority that they have pizzerias on the west coast.

But not yummy New York pizza.

I was thinking about carrying it over myself, but TSA doesn't allow pizza on carry-ons unless it is purchased behind the security perimeter; and I don't think that HPN has a pizzeria behind the perimeter.

I can send a pizza as checked baggage, which is also an option that I'm considering. I'm unsure, however, about the safety / legality of dry ice in checked baggage. Still researching that one.

But if I choose that option, I will have to carefully conceal the true contents of the package to avoid pilfering by the baggage handlers in Chicago, where I have a layover. After all, they could barely be blamed for succumbing to the temptation to enjoy a New York pizza.

-Rich

Just charter a jet and you won't have to worry about any of that. :D

But if I choose that option, I will have to carefully conceal the true contents of the package to avoid pilfering by the baggage handlers in Chicago, where I have a layover. After all, they could barely be blamed for succumbing to the temptation to enjoy a New York pizza.

Obviously, the solution to that problem is to place a hotdog with ketchup on it on top of the pizza. :rofl:

I don't get the fantasy with NY/NJ pizza. It's not anything special if you ask me.

But I'm open to be convinced.

But not yummy New York pizza.

I was thinking about carrying it over myself, but TSA doesn't allow pizza on carry-ons unless it is purchased behind the security perimeter; and I don't think that HPN has a pizzeria behind the perimeter.

I can send a pizza as checked baggage, which is also an option that I'm considering. I'm unsure, however, about the safety / legality of dry ice in checked baggage. Still researching that one.

-Rich
Sending it as checked baggage through Chicago is not a good idea. The baggage monkeys here will see that it is nothing but hazardous waste and have it thrown out. If they can recognize it as some sort of greasy cheese bread concoction, they may substitute in a real pizza. http://www.nancyspizza.com/

But I think you are in luck.

Pizza Hut has plenty of location in CA. So you can get you friends genuine NY style there.

http://www.pizzahut.com/web.php?page=locations&state=California

Also plenty of Sbarros

http://sbarro.com/locations/locations.php

They do advertise NY style pizza.

Pizza Hut has plenty of location in CA. So you can get you friends genuine NY style there.

http://www.pizzahut.com/web.php?page=locations&state=California

Also plenty of Sbarros

http://sbarro.com/locations/locations.php

They do advertise NY style pizza.

Sbarros? Pizza (the) Hut? Trust me- that is NOT NY pizza. :nono:

And to the OP: any decent pizza, whatever style, needs to be fresh to be appreciated, so I don't know about the wisdom of shipping it. Maybe if it's labelled "Only to be eaten cold, the next day, when you're a little hung over". :D

Sbarros? Pizza (the) Hut? Trust me- that is NOT NY pizza. :nono:
You're right. They are better than the floppy cheese bread that NYers call pizza

attachment.php

The stuff is floppy and soggy REAL NYers, like Trump, are forced to eat it with a fork!!!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• stewart%20pizza.jpg
    stewart%20pizza.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 176
  • alg_trump-palin-la-famiglia-300x241.jpg
    alg_trump-palin-la-famiglia-300x241.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 177
How 'bout sending a jar of sauce and e-mailing a dough recipe?

I have it on good authority that they have pizzerias on the west coast.

Probably the best solutions yet but I suppose if you were really anal about having a specific NY crust, you could simply transport the flour, yeast and other key ingredients and assemble at your destination. Or even carry uncooked prepared dough.

Actually, New York pizzas suck. They aren't made with a sourdough crust itself created with the two-year old started found in the kitchens of Steinholme. Just sayin'.

I looked into this for a favorite Pizza place from my college days. You'll want them to make the pizza, but not cook it. Mail it frozen, on dry ice, over night and cook it per their instructions. You will probably need a pizza stone (green egg, or wood firebrick oven preferred).

You can have them ship it unfrozen / uncooked, but the dough will have too long to rest, which means the texture of the crust won't be correct. (tried it, tastes right, but doesn't "chew" right)

You can have them cook it, chill it, ship it. But then it will be like leftovers. Frozen is the same way......just tastes like left over pizza.

Since I got my license........ I don't order pizza anymore like that. I fly down for the real thing.

Probably the best solutions yet but I suppose if you were really anal about having a specific NY crust, you could simply transport the flour, yeast and other key ingredients and assemble at your destination. Or even carry uncooked prepared dough.

Ah, but the water is a problem. Part of the secret is the New York water.

The water is also why New York bagels are the best anywhere.

-Rich

AND the slaw!! :D
Chicago. Hog butcher for the world. Toolmaker. Stacker of wheat. Player with railroads and the nation's freight handler. Stormy, husky, brawling, City of the Big Shoulders. Sandberg knew, Radar. Spareribber for the universe! Maker of meat on a bone! The home of the pigsicle! Give me your tired, your poor... your cole slaw.

I'm from the deep south and therefore have nothing pizza related in my DNA but I must say that the bread in general and the bagels and pizza specifically that is found in NYC and nearby NJ to be the best in the USA. OK, maybe my jersey girl wife has something to do with my feeling on this.

Everyone has their theories about why this might be the case, the city water in NYC being the most common. But it's not until now, in this very post that the secret of the water is revealed. Jimmy Hoffa and his cement shoes were dumped into the reservoir and he's been decomposing there for decades lending that special ingredient to the water. There, now you all know.

I'm from the deep south and therefore have nothing pizza related in my DNA but I must say that the bread in general and the bagels and pizza specifically that is found in NYC and nearby NJ to be the best in the USA. OK, maybe my jersey girl wife has something to do with my feeling on this.

Everyone has their theories about why this might be the case, the city water in NYC being the most common. But it's not until now, in this very post that the secret of the water is revealed. Jimmy Hoffa and his cement shoes were dumped into the reservoir and he's been decomposing there for decades lending that special ingredient to the water. There, now you all know.

Is that an admission of guilt that we should notify the FBI about? Or maybe you're really DB Cooper...or Elvis...or the Cookie Monster.:rofl:

Rich here is a link to a ship a pizza place that has pretty darn good pizza. Not actually my favorite but it is better than average.

http://www.tastesofchicago.com/cate...ome&utm_medium=rnav&utm_campaign=shippinglogo

Thanks, Scott.

Largely based on your encouragement and your passion for pizza-related matters, I do plan on trying to find a pizzeria in the food court at ORD during my 3.5 hour layover tomorrow. Although in fairness, I wouldn't expect ORD food court pizza to be representative of Chicago pizza in general, no more than I would expect food court pizza at JFK to represent masterful New York pizza. But I'll give it a shot if I find a place. (Besides, it's got to be better than whatever they're serving on the flight -- if anything.)

Failing that, I will probably scotch-tape a wake-up request to my forehead and catch a few Z's. I've done that before (seriously), and someone has always obliged by waking me at the appointed time. Kind of restores my faith in humanity.

-Rich

Thanks, Scott.

Largely based on your encouragement and your passion for pizza-related matters, I do plan on trying to find a pizzeria in the food court at ORD during my 3.5 hour layover tomorrow. Although in fairness, I wouldn't expect ORD food court pizza to be representative of Chicago pizza in general, no more than I would expect food court pizza at JFK to represent masterful New York pizza. But I'll give it a shot if I find a place. (Besides, it's got to be better than whatever they're serving on the flight -- if anything.)

Failing that, I will probably scotch-tape a wake-up request to my forehead and catch a few Z's. I've done that before (seriously), and someone has always obliged by waking me at the appointed time. Kind of restores my faith in humanity.

-Rich
I honestly do not know of anything edible at KORD.

My first fully certificated XC, performed the day after I passed my private check ride, was to rent a 172 and fly from W00 in Maryland to 47N to buy my wife's favorite hometown pizza. 4.5 rental hours later, there was a pizza for the hungry FBO rats to chew on and a pie to take home for my wife. That simple and insanely expensive pizza cemented my wife's love of general aviation and made possible the 1,800 hours or so of aviating I've done over the last 12 years. THAT's why I love NY pizza.

As for Hoffa, a Ouija board told me that.

EDIT: that FBO pie also cemented my 5 star treatment for the remainder of my instrument and commercial training there.

You sure you can't carry on pizza? When I worked at PHL in 2007, a guy used to fly rather frequently from Memphis up to PHL for the cheesesteaks in Reading Terminal. He always packed about 15-20 cheesesteaks in a cooler for the trip back.

You could always ask the Boeing guys to haul you some. They flew to PIT specifically for a Primanti sammich.

My first fully certificated XC, performed the day after I passed my private check ride, was to rent a 172 and fly from W00 in Maryland to 47N to buy my wife's favorite hometown pizza. 4.5 rental hours later, there was a pizza for the hungry FBO rats to chew on and a pie to take home for my wife. That simple and insanely expensive pizza cemented my wife's love of general aviation and made possible the 1,800 hours or so of aviating I've done over the last 12 years. THAT's why I love NY pizza.

As for Hoffa, a Ouija board told me that.

EDIT: that FBO pie also cemented my 5 star treatment for the remainder of my instrument and commercial training there.

...do you recall the name of the Pizza joint? I'll bet those are some of the same rats still there

I dunno about pizza, but when I moved out of Atlanta some friends used to fedex me Taco Mac wings. That was always a welcome delivery!!

I dunno about pizza, but when I moved out of Atlanta some friends used to fedex me Taco Mac wings. That was always a welcome delivery!!

Hey hey! That must've been torture for the mailman having to drive around smelling that wing sauce till he got to your house! :)

Back