Mailing a Pizza

You sure you can't carry on pizza? When I worked at PHL in 2007, a guy used to fly rather frequently from Memphis up to PHL for the cheesesteaks in Reading Terminal. He always packed about 15-20 cheesesteaks in a cooler for the trip back.

You could always ask the Boeing guys to haul you some. They flew to PIT specifically for a Primanti sammich.

I have flown on SWA with 1) a bucket of Skyline 5-way Chili and 2) 4 catfish dinners from Uncle (???) in Nashville as carry-on in the overhead, but that was pre-TSA. Now I'm sure that the T fun police would confiscate.

As I remember the aromas were not too nasty. Didn't even get any feedback.

Last edited:
I have flown on SWA with 1) a bucket of Skyline 5-way Chili and 2) 4 catfish dinners from Uncle (???) in Nashville as carry-on in the overhead, but that was pre-TSA. Now I'm sure that the T fun police would confiscate.

As I remember the aromas were not too nasty. Didnt' even get any feedback.

If the screeners are hungry, all bets are off. ;) Espesially Skyline..:D

via Tapatalk

I dunno about pizza, but when I moved out of Atlanta some friends used to fedex me Taco Mac wings. That was always a welcome delivery!!

Yeah buddy. Those 3 mile island wings make peoples eyes water as they walk out of the kitchen with them. It's still on my bucket list to drink my way "around the world" at Taco Mac.

Seems like a pretty bad idea.
Depending on where you go you may be able to find pretty decent pizza in Cali.
See:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/
Always a good way to find good pizza wherever you go.

BTW: which NY pizza are you thinking about bringing out there?

Seems like a pretty bad idea.
Depending on where you go you may be able to find pretty decent pizza in Cali.
See:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/
Always a good way to find good pizza wherever you go.

BTW: which NY pizza are you thinking about bringing out there?

I was thinking Lenny's (Brooklyn on Fifth and Prospect).

-Rich

Years ago a friend of mine, who knew nothing about the pizza business, opened a little pizza shop in San Clemente. His background was picture framing and construction. It turned out to be one of his greatest ideas. It kept him the rest of his life.

Just make a pizza the way you want it. Probably be better than something cranked out at a cockroach farm.

John

I honestly do not know of anything edible at KORD.

Actually, the food available at Terminal 1 at ORD isn't bad at all. I had some sort of sandwich with a fancy name, which was quite good; and some sort of cake with a fancy name, which was also pretty good.

The pizza, however, didn't look very appetizing, so I passed on it this time around.

-Rich

Actually, the food available at Terminal 1 at ORD isn't bad at all. I had some sort of sandwich with a fancy name, which was quite good; and some sort of cake with a fancy name, which was also pretty good.

The pizza, however, didn't look very appetizing, so I passed on it this time around.

-Rich

Wasn't there an Uno's REAL Chicago Pizza? Or will you have to wait for California to get that? :dunno:

Wasn't there an Uno's REAL Chicago Pizza? Or will you have to wait for California to get that? :dunno:
It wouldn't surpise me if there was one. Uno's is tourist pizza. It is like Boudin sour dough bread as a real SF treat or Nathan's hot dogs are real NY dogs (everyone know that it is really Sabretts).

It wouldn't surpise me if there was one. Uno's is tourist pizza. It is like Boudin sour dough bread as a real SF treat or Nathan's hot dogs are real NY dogs (everyone know that it is really Sabretts).
Scott, I asked the guy when I went through ORD a couple of month back if it was authentic Chicago pizza and he swore it was- the server said that Uno's was the original and all the others were "wanna be imitators".

Scott, I asked the guy when I went through ORD a couple of month back if it was authentic Chicago pizza and he swore it was- the server said that Uno's was the original and all the others were "wanna be imitators".
Uno's was the original for the stuffed pizza. No doubt about that at all. But the Unos you get at airport and food malls is tourist pizza. That is about the only people who seek it out. True connoisseur of that culinary branch of pizza seek out other makers who cater more towards the perfection of the style than the mass production for curious new comers to Chicago stuffed pizza paradise.

Doubt it. It would ruin the delicate flavor associated with a good NY pizza. You can ship Chicago pizza 5 day ground without refrigeration in summer and the recipient probably couldn't tell the difference!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::eek:

You've heard of the $100.00 hamburger. Now try the $1800.00 pizza. FLY it out there!! Good excuse to fly X- ctry anyway!!

The nicest thing my wife did for me years ago was to order a pizza from Planet Pizza in Newburgh, NY and have shipped via FedEx to Orlando, Florida.

They baked the pizza half way then froze it and shipped it as an overnight package in a insulated box.

When it arrived just in time for my birthday we let it thaw and then finished baking it.

It was not the same as getting it fresh from their oven but it was close and it was the second best present I ever got from my now ex-wife.

Was the first your divorce papers?

(sorry, couldn't help myself :) )

The best present I got from her is my co-pilot in life, my daughter.

The divorce did however set me free and I was able to resume flying in search of the best pizza with the best co-pilot any father could wish for.

So I will give the divorce a third place ranking.

If the Pizza is for your consumption... Eat it before you leave. If its for someone else, buy them a plane ticket to new york and feed it to them there. Otherwise, it just won't be the same....

Back