Magnetic north and the media

LongRoadBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jacker
I’m totally open to being wrong here, but read in a Norwegian newspaper a very badly written story (usually the newspaper “Aftenposten” is one of the serious newspapers here) about how magnetic north is shifting at a much faster rate the last two decades.

They mentioned this causing problems for air traffic, and then went on to say it also will mess with GPS, to the point where even mobile GPS on telephones would be affected and unreliable.

From memory, I thought GPS was only dependent on satellites, at its core, and positioning needed (hoo boy...now I’m guessing as I don’t recall exactly) contact with either 3 or 4 minimum to get a decent fix, the more the better. But is the actual position of magnetic north in play at all in GPS?

I know I could just go to Wikipedia, but more fun to ask here.

If the magnetic pole moves, and the magnetic deviation information is not updated to reflect this, it will give you the "wrong" magnetic heading.

We need 3 satellites for a 2-D fix, 4 satellites if we want an altitude above the surface they use in the in the software that models the earth's surface.

A single satellite "fix" puts you on the surface of a sphere surrounding that satellite. A 2 satellite fix puts you on a circle where the 2 spheres intersect. 3 satellites have 3 spheres intersecting at 2 points, one of which can thrown out because it isn't on the earth.

I'm not sure how that affects GPS derived locations except for those applications where a conversion to magnetic north is needed, and this is just a software upgrade. Repainting runway numbers and compass roses, and updating charts, is probably more difficult to get done.

OK, follow the river 3 bridges north, turn left, follow the highway until..
In addition to the bureaucracy being unable to update necessary documentation for navigation in a timely manner (it also affects mariners, and anyone else dependent on a compass) the moving magnetic poles will affect the Aurora, which can impact radio and telephony maybe even power transmission. Also, according to the tinfoil wearing guy down the street, it will affect the weather (not climate). The guy is weird, but does have a PhD in meteorology and works for "Fleet Weather", so I'm not inclined to disagree with him on this.

OK, follow the river 3 bridges north, turn left, follow the highway until..
In addition to the bureaucracy being unable to update necessary documentation for navigation in a timely manner (it also affects mariners, and anyone else dependent on a compass) the moving magnetic poles will affect the Aurora, which can impact radio and telephony maybe even power transmission. Also, according to the tinfoil wearing guy down the street, it will affect the weather (not climate). The guy is weird, but does have a PhD in meteorology and works for "Fleet Weather", so I'm not inclined to disagree with him on this.

Though I don’t trust the article, because badly written, it mentions it is pole, not poles. South Pole seems to still be stable.

Most GPS units are configured to display magnetic course, which takes into account magnetic variation based on the World Magnetic Model (WMM) that is built into the database of the GPS. So if the magnetic north pole shifts (and the variation changes) and the GPS database is not updated with the shift in variation, the magnetic bearing/course/DTK displayed by the GPS could be off. The vendor would likely need to update the magnetic variation data in the GPS database.

Last edited:
It's time to totally discard magnetic north for navigation and go with true north. Everyone order their gyrocompasses now. The earth's magnetic field has never been stable, and certainly does the 'flip-flop' with a sort of periodicity. It's probably about due to do so now.

...the bureaucracy being unable to update necessary documentation for navigation in a timely manner...
In the U.S., the bureaucracy has been updating the isogonic lines on VFR charts on a regular basis. Of course, VORs and GPS need updating too. How timely the updates are, I don't know.

I’ve read there are periodic reversals of the earth's magnetic field that occur every 5K – 25M years. That would be interesting.

how magnetic north is shifting at a much faster rate the last two decades.
FWIW: An old friend of mine has been re-indexing/re-painting airport runways for years. He has said that in the past it was generally on a 15-25 year cycle depending on location to re-index. In some places it's now down to less than 10 years where there is an obvious shift. It's also one of several reasons the number of certified compass rose is down as the requirements are different and the costs high to re-index/certify.

Most GPS units are configured to display magnetic course, which takes into account magnetic variation based on the World Magnetic Model (WMM) that is built into the database of the GPS. So if the magnetic north pole shifts (and the variation changes) and the GPS database is not updated with the shift in variation, the location could be off. The vendor would likely need to update the magnetic variation data in the GPS database. You could probably configure the GPS to use true course and still navigate to the correct destination point.
I'm not understanding how the location is off. I can see that I could be directed on an incorrect vector in a plane or boat if using an incorrect variation. The magenta line points in the correct direction and ends at the correct place, so a glance at the map should put me back on course, shouldn't it?

Last edited:
"In the U.S., the bureaucracy has been updating the isogonic lines on VFR charts on a regular basis..."

Depends on your definition of "regular," I guess. I have a very long email from the FAA with lots of details with regard to magnetic variation and isogonic line/VOR orientation as they apply to charts. he National Geodetic Survey models them ever five years. It is about one year before the "updated" isogonics are applied to the first sectional charts after a new model is released. The isogonic lines on a given sectional can be zero to three years different from actual variation.

Variation for navaids and airport runways is "assigned," and not the actual variation for that location. The reason for assigning variation rather than follow arcane rules is that a VOR re-orientation affects not only runway numbers but airways and approach procedures so it is serious business.

www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/magfield.shtml (the email is from 2008; if the link is no good it has died of old age)

Bob Gardner

To clarify, you'd arrive at the correct location, if you follow the magenta line, even if the database's magnetic variation is not completely correct. The magnetic bearing/course value, as indicated by the GPS, might be a little off, since that value is derived by adding/subtracting the variation from the true course.

This site explains it better than I can...

https://flightlevelsonline.com/2013/summer-2013/garmin-tips-and-tricks-gps-and-magnetic-variation/

I think that must be what they meant, the blue cone of direction would be off some. But GPS would work. They just wrote so badly it wasn’t named.

Technically the north pole would be the south end of the magnet, it’s call north because it attracts the north end. I’ll be glad when the magnetic north is actually magnetic north. Hope I don’t have to wait too long. :)

Tom

A single satellite "fix" puts you on the surface of a sphere surrounding that satellite. A 2 satellite fix puts you on a circle where the 2 spheres intersect. 3 satellites have 3 spheres intersecting at 2 points, one of which can thrown out because it isn't on the earth.
No, it doesn't work that way. You can't determine anything from ONE satellite. The way our GPS receivers work is that for each pair of satellites we can compute a surface that has the same time-difference of arrival. It's the intersection of these hyberboloid surfaces that gives us our position answer. It really takes four satellites to generate a three-d answer and recover the actual time. The issue with accuracy however is we're constrained by the satellites that our antenna can actually see (they're all above the horizon and anything else blocking our view. These hyperboloid surfaces intersect at shallow angles. This is why you get better horizontal fixes than vertical ones.

Anyhow to answer the question. GPS knows not nor cares not (and most navigation cares not) about magnetic north. Conversion to magnetic is for interoperating with the old compass-time based nav world. All it takes is to update the database with the conversion information.

No, it doesn't work that way.
Yes, it does work that way.

You can't determine anything from ONE satellite. The way our GPS receivers work is that for each pair of satellites we can compute a surface that has the same time-difference of arrival.
If you used one satellite, that surface is a sphere. If you received a signal that a satellite sent a signal a millisecond ago, you would be on a sphere ~3E5 meters radius, centered on that satellite. Let's add in your other satellite. It is a different distance away, and you are located on a different sphere relative to that satellite. These two sphere intersect (generally) as a circle. Add more satellites, more intersecting spheres, and you have a fix. The technique is called trilateration.
Perhaps the image below makes it clear?
GPS-Trilateration-Feature-678x322.png

It's the intersection of these hyberboloid surfaces that gives us our position answer.
Using that term, it sounds like you are describing LORAN surfaces, where you get a hyperboloid surface due to the master/slave relationship between the transmitters. (can we still use that term in these politically correct times?). Alternatively, you may be describing the "pseudorange" generated between any pair of satellites until we can determine the offset from our GPSr clock.
It really takes four satellites to generate a three-d answer and recover the actual time.
That's only part of the answer. With an atomic clock, you know the actual time and you don't need to mess with pseudoranges at start-up. We can use cheap clocks and calculate the time used by the satellites' atomic clock, as you are implying. If you assume one of the surfaces is that of the earth, you need only 3 for a 2-D fix.

The issue with accuracy however is we're constrained by the satellites that our antenna can actually see (they're all above the horizon and anything else blocking our view. These hyperboloid surfaces intersect at shallow angles. This is why you get better horizontal fixes than vertical ones.
Only to a degree. Satellite geometry is important too. Back when we only had a few satellites, my GPSr could see many satellites and not get a 3-D fix. Now, we have our satellites, GLONASS, and a couple of others

Anyhow to answer the question. GPS knows not nor cares not (and most navigation cares not) about magnetic north. Conversion to magnetic is for interoperating with the old compass-time based nav world. All it takes is to update the database with the conversion information.
Agreed.

Last edited:
No, I am talking about GPS. Your GPS doesn't have an atomic clock and even if it did, it wouldn't be of any use unless it was precisely locked to the clock in the satellite. Your basic GPS unit does not use "spheres". All it knows is an area of equal time from a pair of satellites. You can't just look at one satellite because you don't know when the pulse you're observing was sent. If you look at two you know the differential.

And it doesn't matter how many satellites you have overhead. The geometry for vertical precision is predicated on the fact that they're all on the same side of the earth. GPS signals do not go through the ground.

The introduction to this paper: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/deea/ce584264e1fbd2a080ee39f8e00b7cf43392.pdf does a pretty good job of describing how it works or read the wikipedia article section staring with "More detailed description" in the GPS article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System

No, I am talking about GPS. Your GPS doesn't have an atomic clock and even if it did, it wouldn't be of any use unless it was precisely locked to the clock in the satellite.
We can (and do) synchronize atomic clocks. In fact, the atomic clocks are synchronized to one another and to ground stations. This synchronization is needed so that we can measure the pseudoranges (the difference between when the data was sent and received), and for the rest of the calculations needed for the system to work. The GPS satellite clocks are synchronized often to those in ground stations.
Your basic GPS unit does not use "spheres".
Yes, it does. Please look at your Wiki reference again- "spheres" is the first geometric interpretation mentioned.
Also, see: https://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/index.html (I think Garmin knows abit about the subject)
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...nits/techops/navservices/gnss/gps/howitworks/ I'm pretty sure the FAA knows something about it, too.

All it knows is an area of equal time from a pair of satellites.
It depends on the calculation method. This assumes the use of one type of calculation. Also, it isn't "equal time", but rather a constant time difference. An area of equal time from two points, given the same signal propagation speed from those points, describes a plane half-way between the points, perpendicular to the line between those points. I choose to take your statement as meaning "a constant time difference between satellites", as you imply later.

You can't just look at one satellite because you don't know when the pulse you're observing was sent.
Yes, you do. The time the pulse was sent is embedded in the data the satellite send to your GPSr. The uncertainty is when the pulse is received, until the cheap clock in your GPSr is corrected to the rest of the system.

If you look at two you know the differential.
See above, where we discuss "equal time". This statement is more correct than the previous one.

And it doesn't matter how many satellites you have overhead. The geometry for vertical precision is predicated on the fact that they're all on the same side of the earth. GPS signals do not go through the ground.
It does matter, and their geometry matters too. Depending on the calculation method, you can get a good vertical fix, and the "spheres" method does that well since we now have a plethora of satellites overhead (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, and now, Beidou- modern GPS units receive all of them, so there is always a satellite overhead now).

The introduction to this paper: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/deea/ce584264e1fbd2a080ee39f8e00b7cf43392.pdf does a pretty good job of describing how it works or read the wikipedia article section staring with "More detailed description" in the GPS article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System
Please consider reading your references. There is more than one way to calculate a position, and the Wiki reference lists several of them.

Another way to get started is to assume a position (where your car was last parked, or get data from another source), use stored satellite ephemeris data, and determine your GPSr clock correction from the time data embedded in the satellite transmission. Apple iDevices have a database of know WiFi locations, and can use those for an initial position fix (I once used my non-cellular iPad for a map in Taiwan in this fashion. Accuracy was within about 100 feet). Cellphones can use an initial position calculated from receiving various cell phone towers. A combination of these methods combined with the GPS work better in "urban canyons", where GPS signals are blocked or reflected by buildings.

I read the references and I know how an aviation GPS (and just about other GPS unit) works. Your statements are self-defeating. You admit you don't have the accurate time until you correct it, but the only way to correct it is to use the data from multiple satellites, which demonstrates that you can't get a distance from a single satellite with just the ephemeris data and its pulse train. This means that the sphere's method can't work until you've got four satellites in the mix. In fact, you get a 3D fix with less, because it does NOT use the spherical method.

The various ways of bootstrapping the device get a faster fix because it obviates the need to wait for the ephemeris data to download, but it doesn't change the underlying computation of position.

I never said you couldn't get a good vertical fix, I was explaining why the vertical accuracy is necessarily worse than the horizontal (it's typically predicted to be three times less accurate). Most navigation uses don't care too much about vertical position. Flying precision approaches matter (which is why we have things like WAAS and baro correction). Also, even ground-based stuff where you don't have sufficiently accurate geoid data in the unit needs this even for ground-based navigation (for the same reasons you state that you can use the intersection of the earth to fill in the some of the missing data. This became readily apparent when we started fighting wars in mountainous terrain. Just using the ellipsoid model can put you several miles off.

I read the references and I know how an aviation GPS (and just about other GPS unit) works. Your statements are self-defeating. You admit you don't have the accurate time until you correct it, but the only way to correct it is to use the data from multiple satellites, which demonstrates that you can't get a distance from a single satellite with just the ephemeris data and its pulse train. This means that the sphere's method can't work until you've got four satellites in the mix. In fact, you get a 3D fix with less, because it does NOT use the spherical method.

The various ways of bootstrapping the device get a faster fix because it obviates the need to wait for the ephemeris data to download, but it doesn't change the underlying computation of position.

I never said you couldn't get a good vertical fix, I was explaining why the vertical accuracy is necessarily worse than the horizontal (it's typically predicted to be three times less accurate). Most navigation uses don't care too much about vertical position. Flying precision approaches matter (which is why we have things like WAAS and baro correction). Also, even ground-based stuff where you don't have sufficiently accurate geoid data in the unit needs this even for ground-based navigation (for the same reasons you state that you can use the intersection of the earth to fill in the some of the missing data. This became readily apparent when we started fighting wars in mountainous terrain. Just using the ellipsoid model can put you several miles off.
Please read the references again. You may also read my replies more carefully, as I never said that you said "you couldn't get a good vertical fix" (this is starting to sound like the impeachment discussion). I also said there are ways of getting a fast fix with the cheap GPSr clock, and listed some of them, which do use the empermeris data.

Go and believe what you want- the different calculation methods are in your references, whether you want to believe them or not. The wiki link lists 4 of them. I agree that calculating a position from intersecting surfaces based on constant time differences of satellite pairs is one method to do so, but there are other ways of doing so that are also used and are equally correct. There is often more than one correct way to do something.

Back