Magicjack Sale

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
I've mentioned the Magicjack a few times on these fora. It's an ultra-cheap ($35.00 / year) VOIP service that actually works pretty well, especially considering how cheap it is. I've always found the sound quality to range from mediocre to good on cable, and slightly better on DSL.

In any case, I just logged in to renew my service and found that they're having a sale on the device itself, plus a full year of service, for $39.95. That includes basic calling features like Caller ID, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, and Voice Mail.

It does not include E911, which is a mandatory additional fee determined my your local government. Mine was $1.67 for the year. There's also an "administration fee" that's basically aggregated taxes which I suppose also vary by jurisdiction. Mine was $2.73 for the year. So a year's service actually costs me $39.40.

The device in question may be connected to a computer or to a router. It may require being initially connected to a computer to be activated. I don't think it does, but it might. I forget. It's been years since I first activated mine.

As for the service, it's actually a lot better than one would expect for the price. It gets scratchy or cuts out if too many devices are hogging Internet, and even when it doesn't I wouldn't exactly call the quality crystal clear; but it's not horrible, either. I've never not been able to make a call, and it's very rare that the call quality is so bad that I hang up and call again. By rare, I mean maybe three for four times since I've had the thing, and I've had it for years.

I use the MagicJack as a number to give to people or entities I basically don't want to hear from: department stores for their loyalty cards, vendors in general, most government agencies, my most recent ex, and others who demand my phone number but to whom I refuse to provide my cell number. It's also the only number I use to make outgoing calls to these people and entities, so it remains the only number they ever have on file for me. It helps keep my cell phone relatively free of nuisance calls.

But in fairness, the device and service do work well enough that Magicjack could be used as a regular home phone number as long as you have decent Internet and you're not too picky about sound quality. I've also found that it works well enough for the very rare faxes I have to send or receive, although I don't think the service officially supports faxing.

Rich

So this will work with a regular phone?

We have cell phones that are PIN protected and I am nervous that if I catch on fire or something, my kids are not going to be able to call 911.

If we had a central phone that was just push buttons, they could call 911 before I burn up.

We have cell phones that are PIN protected and I am nervous that if I catch on fire or something, my kids are not going to be able to call 911.

If we had a central phone that was just push buttons, they could call 911 before I burn up.

You need a fingerprint PIN. Then your kids could use the kitchen shears and make the phone call from a safe distance.

LOL, yes, you can plug a regular phone into it. I have an OBI and ran the output into a phone jack (disconnected the telco service from outside) and used the house POTS wiring. I can plug in a phone anywhere in the house and use the VOIP service.

I love my Magic Jack. I have only one problem with it.

I have phones that display the local time on the handset. No matter what time I set, upon the first incoming call, the phone resets and defaults to Eastern time. The MJ is picking up the time somehow, and cant be set by time zone. MJ confirmed to me that this can't be changed on my device.

Mine is several years old. I don't know if the new ones have fixed this problem. It is only a minor inconvenience, but it does put the wrong time stamp on my voice mails.

I've mentioned the Magicjack a few times on these fora. It's an ultra-cheap ($35.00 / year) VOIP service that actually works pretty well, especially considering how cheap it is. I've always found the sound quality to range from mediocre to good on cable, and slightly better on DSL.

In any case, I just logged in to renew my service and found that they're having a sale on the device itself, plus a full year of service, for $39.95. That includes basic calling features like Caller ID, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, and Voice Mail.

It does not include E911, which is a mandatory additional fee determined my your local government. Mine was $1.67 for the year. There's also an "administration fee" that's basically aggregated taxes which I suppose also vary by jurisdiction. Mine was $2.73 for the year. So a year's service actually costs me $39.40.

The device in question may be connected to a computer or to a router. It may require being initially connected to a computer to be activated. I don't think it does, but it might. I forget. It's been years since I first activated mine.

As for the service, it's actually a lot better than one would expect for the price. It gets scratchy or cuts out if too many devices are hogging Internet, and even when it doesn't I wouldn't exactly call the quality crystal clear; but it's not horrible, either. I've never not been able to make a call, and it's very rare that the call quality is so bad that I hang up and call again. By rare, I mean maybe three for four times since I've had the thing, and I've had it for years.

I use the MagicJack as a number to give to people or entities I basically don't want to hear from: department stores for their loyalty cards, vendors in general, most government agencies, my most recent ex, and others who demand my phone number but to whom I refuse to provide my cell number. It's also the only number I use to make outgoing calls to these people and entities, so it remains the only number they ever have on file for me. It helps keep my cell phone relatively free of nuisance calls.

But in fairness, the device and service do work well enough that Magicjack could be used as a regular home phone number as long as you have decent Internet and you're not too picky about sound quality. I've also found that it works well enough for the very rare faxes I have to send or receive, although I don't think the service officially supports faxing.

Rich

:rofl: You must have known she was an 'ex' the moment you met her....:rofl:

What if they're the ones who set you on fire?

Yes, it works with any standard phone.

Rich

I have phones that display the local time on the handset. No matter what time I set, upon the first incoming call, the phone resets and defaults to Eastern time. The MJ is picking up the time somehow, and cant be set by time zone. MJ confirmed to me that this can't be changed on my device.

Mine is several years old. I don't know if the new ones have fixed this problem. It is only a minor inconvenience, but it does put the wrong time stamp on my voice mails.

I never noticed that. But I live in the Eastern time zone, so I guess I wouldn't.

Rich

You don't have an "Emergency" dial option that is on the home screen? Even my 'Out of date' Crackberry allows an emergency call to be made without entering a password to unlock the phone.

You don't have an "Emergency" dial option that is on the home screen? Even my 'Out of date' Crackberry allows an emergency call to be made without entering a password to unlock the phone.

If I am on fire and the phone is in my pocket, I can't expect they will go reaching into my pockets to look for my phone.

That is the truth.

But yeah, I want a phone that is centrally located versus kids trying to locate it whilst panicking

The MagicJack would probably serve that mission well-enough assuming that you have decent Internet. I think they have a 30-day return privilege, as well.

Rich

If I am on fire and the phone is in my pocket, I can't expect they will go reaching into my pockets to look for my phone.

I just have a couple of "unused" old flip phones in two places in the house for that... they're charged always, and never used, and only can be used for 911 calls. They're not particularly "hidden" and in a couple of likely places for injuries to occur.

I was looking into something like that so I could keep my landline number, but drop my landline.

Anybody have any experience with this?:

http://www.ooma.com/telo/

Yes. I have 2. One I use for a business line (and have for 3+ years), the other I recently ported my home number to (from Verizon after they jerked me around one time too many).

I pay for the premier service ($99/year) and enjoy pretty much all the features, especially the number block lists, the emailing of voicemail & dual-ring option. Quality is good. I've not faxed from it, but there is a way to do so. You can't use an alarm system or similar data transmission over the system (so they say, never tried). I've also used the app when traveling overseas to make local calls back home. Worked fine from a wifi hotspot (hotel room).

YMMV. I've been happy with mine. Others may have a different opinion.

I had the exact same problem. I found out it was not the VoIP box but rather my digital phone. It resets on every incoming call from the callerID information. If you don't want that, go through your phone options and turn off "Time >> Automatic Set from CallerID" or similar. I switched mine to "Time >> Manual Input" and it has never reverted to the "other" time.
I wish that was the default option.

Try that, you might be in luck and it might be that simple.

I just have a couple of "unused" old flip phones in two places in the house for that... they're charged always, and never used, and only can be used for 911 calls. They're not particularly "hidden" and in a couple of likely places for injuries to occur.

That's another good option. The phones don't even need to be activated on an account to call 911.

Rich

I had the exact same problem. I found out it was not the VoIP box but rather my digital phone. It resets on every incoming call from the callerID information. If you don't want that, go through your phone options and turn off "Time >> Automatic Set from CallerID" or similar. I switched mine to "Time >> Manual Input" and it has never reverted to the "other" time.
I wish that was the default option.

Try that, you might be in luck and it might be that simple.

Looked all around the phone menu but I did not see that option. Oh well.

I had Magic Jack for a couple of years or more. Worked great with my cordless system. Then all of a sudden it would only answer half the time or less. The other times ot went straight to VM. Called them up and let the guy go through his script and he decided I needed a new wall wart. That didn't fix it and they wouldn't me a new device so I dumped them. Apparently there are parts of the company that do not realize I am no longer a customer of theirs as they keep sending me voice mails.

That is the truth.

But yeah, I want a phone that is centrally located versus kids trying to locate it whilst panicking

Reasonable enough at $40 a year. Just turn the ringer off because the only incoming calls will be spam.

I think Ooma is just as cheap, and doesn't require a PC to be on 24x7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use Ooma, works great.

Alarm system goes through it, btw, no issues.

I have a landline because it comes bundled with the internet (and cable) service and it wouldn't cost me any less to abandon it. I don't give the NC house phone out anyhow. In fact, when I need to talk to Centurylink I have to go look it up to get my account information.

I use a forwarding number (it is an 877 number followed by our names) which rings:
1. House phone in Virginia
2. House phone in NC (lousy cell coverage there)
3. My two cell phones.
4. My wife's cell
5. The onstar unit in my car.
6. My wife's office phone (basement of the Air and Space Museum, lousy cell coverage)
7. (I probably should get rid of this) My old office phone at Textron. It rings on an empty desk there.

Looked all around the phone menu but I did not see that option. Oh well.

Find the phone manual (or search online for a PDF) and find the "shortcut" menu key sequence for that option. Sometimes, the option is not available via the regular menu for us mortals, it might be available only via the menu command. (usually some hash numbers)
What brand phone is it? We should probably take this debate off this thread and into PMs.

I have been using magic jack for four years now. The biggest issue you must have a broadband connection. If you us satellite connection you will get lag in the phone. To have the best connection that all the data transfers use broadband. You will love the magic Jack. Use satellite you will not have that good experience with it.

If you're on fire with a phone in your pocket, given current tech I'd guess the phone is the source, and wound't worry about using it to call anyone.

I think Ooma is just as cheap, and doesn't require a PC to be on 24x7.

I had to use the computer for initial setup, but once that was done the Magic Jack works completely independently. Just plug it into the router, plug in the power supply, and plug the phone into it.

You can cart it around with you and have your phone anywhere there is a broadband connection.

I had to use the computer for initial setup, but once that was done the Magic Jack works completely independently. Just plug it into the router, plug in the power supply, and plug the phone into it.

You can cart it around with you and have your phone anywhere there is a broadband connection.

Apparently the newer ones don't need to connected to a computer even for activation. You do need to register it online, however.

I don't remember whether my current one (a MagicJack PLUS) did or didn't need to be plugged into a computer to be activated. I don't think it did because I ported the number over from an older MJ that didn't have Ethernet capability.

Rich

Pardon my silly question but what economic sense does it make to switch from AT&T and a $40 monthly bill to MagicJack or Ooma with another $40 monthly bill? Same cost, worse service. And now it is Internet dependent so when the Internet goes down, how can I call it in?

When we dumped the greedy AT&T monopoly, we got an Obihai box and have a free Google Voice number on it. It also allows call forwarding and texting (including MMS). Which MagicJack or Ooma people have no clue how to do.

So what am I missing here? (this is a genuine question, insert a sincere smiley here)

I have a landline because it comes bundled with the internet (and cable) service and it wouldn't cost me any less to abandon it. I don't give the NC house phone out anyhow. In fact, when I need to talk to Centurylink I have to go look it up to get my account information.

I use a forwarding number (it is an 877 number followed by our names) which rings:
1. House phone in Virginia
2. House phone in NC (lousy cell coverage there)
3. My two cell phones.
4. My wife's cell
5. The onstar unit in my car.
6. My wife's office phone (basement of the Air and Space Museum, lousy cell coverage)
7. (I probably should get rid of this) My old office phone at Textron. It rings on an empty desk there.

Damn, telecom companies love you.:eek::lol:

Frankly, I get a nice bundle with my internet (from two different companies) that really obviates the need for any of these VOIP solutions. Ten years ago, the differential from long distance vs. local calls was significant. Pretty now everything is flat priced. I guess if I had a broadband service that didn't come already bundled with a voice service, it would be interesting, but I've not found anybody who'll give you enough of a break (if any) to give up the existing voice service.

Pardon my silly question but what economic sense does it make to switch from AT&T and a $40 monthly bill to MagicJack or Ooma with another $40 monthly bill? Same cost, worse service. And now it is Internet dependent so when the Internet goes down, how can I call it in?

When we dumped the greedy AT&T monopoly, we got an Obihai box and have a free Google Voice number on it. It also allows call forwarding and texting (including MMS). Which MagicJack or Ooma people have no clue how to do.

So what am I missing here? (this is a genuine question, insert a sincere smiley here)

You are missing that AT&T is monthly, and the VoIP systems are annual, bills.

MagicJack is $35.00 per year, not per month. And the device is essentially free at the moment while it's on sale because it includes the first year of service.

But there are many solutions to the problem of cheap phone service. If yours works for you, great. I don't own shares in MagicJack and have no horse in the race one way or the other. I posted the link because I doubt I'm the only person who doesn't need a traditional landline, but who needs some number to give to people I don't trust with my cell number.

As for Google Voice, I personally like to have as little to do with Google as possible. But that's just because of my own personal dislike of the company. The service could work great for all I know.

Regarding VOIP in general, I wouldn't use any VOIP service if I were the kind of person who actually enjoyed talking on the phone. I've used a bunch of them over the years, and the only one that I liked call quality-wise was Sunrocket (RIP). Vonage was also halfway decent and had very good customer service. The rest basically sucked.

If I actually liked talking on the phone and wanted good call quality, I'd either get a POTS line or something like StraightTalk Home Phone, which works over VZW towers and costs something $15.00 a month; or AT&T's equivalent, which costs about $20.00 a month. The call quality of either company's cell service (at least around here) is much better than any VOIP service I've ever used, and it's not dependent on my Internet being up.

But I'm not a person who particularly enjoys talking on the phone, and I especially dislike talking to the people who call my MagicJack number. Most of them are telemarketers who got my number from companies who swore that they'd never release it, but who then either broke that promise or got hacked. So now I get multiple calls every day from guys named "Barney" or "Rusty" from Bangalore who greet me by name and offer to sell me Viagra (which I don't need, thank you). For them, I don't need superb call clarity. I don't even answer that phone. How good does the quality have to be?

And then there's Jeanette, who hasn't called me while clean and sober in about five years. But that's actually a good thing, in a way. If she ever did call me while clean and sober, I might be tempted to give her yet another chance -- whereupon half a dozen of my closest friends who I made swear to shoot me if I ever did that would be loading their guns.

So the short answer is that I'm talking about a phone number that I can give to people who insist that I give them one, but to whom I have little or no intention of actually talking. That being the case, I want the cheapest service that actually works and that isn't owned by Google. At $35.00 a year, that would be MagicJack.

But again, the fact that I use the service for that purpose doesn't mean that's all it's good for. It's actually not horrible at all, especially for the price.

Rich

Last edited:
I can't figure out why the best cheapskate I know pays for a phone number to not take calls on. Hahaha.

I'm paying for a business-class internet service anyway. Ooma costs ~$10 a month plus tax (as opposed to $80 + taxes for Verizon).

Ooma will ring a second number - say cellphone - simultaneously, meaning that an internet outage will simply ring the cell. Ooma interfaces with Google Voice. It does call forwarding. It does call blocking. It will email the voicemail message to you. So it'll to what you seem to think it won't.

Obihai is not a bad box at all, especially if you already have a SIP provider or are willing to trust Google voice. It's an option.

Back