Made the switch.. Garmin to Avidyne trade up program

gitmo234

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
gitmo234
(caveat: I'm very happy with my experience with Avidyne and Avionics Source, but I have ZERO affiliation, your mileage may vary)

Well gents.... earlier this year I bought an E model Mooney with a Garmin 430W. At another forum I visit frequently I saw a trade up program advertised and I took the bait hook, like and sinker. So far so good.I bought an Avidyne 440, AXP 340 transponder and SkyTrax 100 so when all is said and done I'll have ADS-B in and out.

With the trade up program all I had to do was order the IFD 440 under the trade up program, turn on the 430W in diagnostic mode, take photos of all the settings screens and pull the unit. My 440 arrived, I slide it in the tray (its a direct slide in replacement), started it up, put it in diagnostic mode, then entered the settings. In about 10 minutes I had a brand new GPS with Bluetooth/wifi for my ipad (the ipad becomes a larger version of the gps, the displays and functions are mirrored. input a flightplan on the ipad and it feeds to the 440, change radio frequency on the ipad and it does the same on the 440), and FLTA. Make a logbook entry (they give you the specific text) and UPS the 430W back. All for about $6k (a little less).

I also got a package deal for the transponder and skytrax which is scheduled to be installed early in October.

If you haven't checked Avidyne I recommend it. I did some ground tests and a test flight and its remarkable how easy it is to use and how intuitive it is. I'd recommend checking out some of the videos on the system. The organization with the trade up is Avionics Source and if you want a point of contact to deal with directly, I can provide that too

Just an FYI - I'd question the paperwork trail on this in a heatbeat. Most IFR/LPV capable navigators have a flight manual supplement which exists to define the capability of the equipment including the autopilot interface (if applicable). Each of the supplements typically lists a software version that must be in the equipment. There's more to it than that but that's what a ramp inspection could turn up easily or a DEP find when looking at the airplane on a check ride.

Potential can of worms there.

Last edited:
It was a genius move making the IFD440 a slide in replacement for a 430W especially since the the GTN isn't. That said I wasn't terribly impressed with the IFD's graphics and interface compared to the GTN. The unit they had on display at Airventure had some glitches communicating with the Ipad. Pretty cool deal though so I would have probably done the same.

Just an FYI - I'd question the paperwork trail on this in a heatbeat. Most IFR/LPV capable navigators have a flight manual supplement which exists to define the capability of the equipment including the autopilot interface (if applicable). Each of the supplements typically lists a software version that must be in the equipment. There's more to it than that but that's what a ramp inspection could turn up easily or a DEP find when looking at the airplane on a check ride.

Potential can of worms there.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I have all the paperwork including the supplements, up to date software, and all the docs that I need. I bought this from a real company and it was new. Not a back alley avionics dealer. A ramp inspection would indicate a logbook entry for the install and all the necessary docs for the avionics.

Will this work for a GNS430 non-WAAS or do you have to have an avionics guy install a WAAS antenna?

There's a non waas version of the 440, you can do that trade up, or go the WAAS route and have the avionics guy install the waas antenna

I, also, did the 430W to 440 upgrade, and I am very happy with the results. The iPad app is remarkable, effectively giving me a whole additional screen for the system.

I believe Chase may appear here with some offers… I can certainly vouch for the ease of the process.

I, also, did the 430W to 440 upgrade, and I am very happy with the results. The iPad app is remarkable, effectively giving me a whole additional screen for the system.

I believe Chase may appear here with some offers… I can certainly vouch for the ease of the process.

Chase is who I worked with. Short of the hurricane(s) destroying and delaying shipments, it was all good. weather is out of his control anyway

EDIT to also add... watch the free video included and/or read a manual. I'm based out of the DC FRZ now and 700 feet up under a brave shelf is no place to be playing with a new toy. Regardless, it was easy to figure out and actually really nice to use. If I can get that without reading much, I imagine that once I actually read the material and get used to it, its going to be amazing

Last edited:
Chris,

I'm really excited for you that you made the upgrade to the IFD440, and I'm thankful you selected Avionics Source for your purchase. Looking forward to hearing your continued PIREP on the 440 as we go along. I know it's going to make you fly more!

Chase.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I have all the paperwork including the supplements, up to date software, and all the docs that I need. I bought this from a real company and it was new. Not a back alley avionics dealer. A ramp inspection would indicate a logbook entry for the install and all the necessary docs for the avionics.

Its all good. Sounds to me like it did come with all that too. A lot of slide in radio mods aren't documented very well so its easy to pick on them such as aircraft's Equipment List still shows the old radio, the 337 file in Oklahoma City still showing the old radios installed etc.

These new radios are just freaking awesome IMHO. Both brands.

Will this work for a GNS430 non-WAAS or do you have to have an avionics guy install a WAAS antenna?
Outside of adding a WAAS antenna to the hull and running the coax, the IFD440 upgrade process is a breeze. We've had numerous customers go this route and have both an avionics shop or an A&P do the antenna install (usually around 10 hours). As far as the unit goes, you'll actually keep the same tray, back plate, and connectors in the airplane.

When you factor in the fact that this is the same "re-install" process as getting your 430 WAAS upgraded for $3795 or the fact a GTN650 upgrade runs a total of 25 hours, the IFD440 easily stands out. Send me a PM if you'd like a customized quote, but right now all GNS trade-ins have a $300 bonus!

It is possible that even a non-waas 430 could have RG400 or RG142 coax on the non-waas antenna. I can't recall if those antennas have a BNC or TNC connector. The point is even if you have non-waas 430 you may not need the coax replaced. RG58 coax has a black jacket which is replaced by RG400 or RG142 is typically translucent tan colored.

It is possible that even a non-waas 430 could have RG400 or RG142 coax on the non-waas antenna. I can't recall if those antennas have a BNC or TNC connector. The point is even if you have non-waas 430 you may not need the coax replaced. RG58 coax has a black jacket which is replaced by RG400 or RG142 is typically translucent tan colored.

This is absolutely true. We have had a few customers that have had RG400 already run saving them roughly 10 hours of labor. Never a bad idea to check with your mechanic before making the upgrade.

Outside of adding a WAAS antenna to the hull and running the coax, the IFD440 upgrade process is a breeze. We've had numerous customers go this route and have both an avionics shop or an A&P do the antenna install (usually around 10 hours). As far as the unit goes, you'll actually keep the same tray, back plate, and connectors in the airplane.

When you factor in the fact that this is the same "re-install" process as getting your 430 WAAS upgraded for $3795 or the fact a GTN650 upgrade runs a total of 25 hours, the IFD440 easily stands out. Send me a PM if you'd like a customized quote, but right now all GNS trade-ins have a $300 bonus!

Once I buy a plane with a run-out GNS430 I'm all yours.

We installed a Avidyne 540 a couple of years ago, some issues but Avidyne warranty applied each time. The biggest challenge was the new transponder with ADS B in & out providing traffic display. Transponder worked fine but not sure traffic display is working right yet, have not flown into a major airport area for some time. Wish the military had the equipment as the airport we fly from is inside a military training area, would definitely be a plus if they did.

Overall we are happy with how easy it is to use compared to the Garmin 530 it replaced.

I'm having an Avidyne IFD-550 installed into my Cherokee Six 300 and also got the bonus ADS-B In/Out deal. Technically, it's no longer available, but, if you ask real nice, an Avidyne rep may be able to pull some strings.

This is a virgin install (no existing Garmin 530). I'll provide a pirep soon!

You will need to upgrade the GPS antenna to WAAS compatible unit and likely the coax cable. Beside to get a Garmin WAAS antenna to perfectly reuse the mounting holes of the exiting antenna.

How much did they give you for your 430w?

10 hours to run special pixie dust coax to an antenna. This hobby I tell ya...

How much did they give you for your 430w?

Well if you consider the fact they sell the bluetooth IFD for 11 AMUS, and the trade-in offer is listed about 6, the difference is your 430w core value. Now, they charge a .35 amu flat fee for the screen (good luck having a screen that's not weathered in this fleet of deplorables lol) and the offer is also contingent on additional bench work not needed to get the unit to their standards, otherwise you agree to shop rate labor open ended after you've already agreed to the terms. A bit rich for my blood, but beats the alternative (initial installation) I suppose. Considering the resale of 430Ws, the shop is making a killing on that trade fo sho'.

That said, good on Avidyne for actually not being a rent-seeking POS like Garmin, and making these things slide-in. If a third party can do a retrofit off the back of a box without their name on it, Garmin has no innocent excuse. Though I liken the name Avidyne with poor quality control (early SR20 screens/suites), I'd almost overlook that just to stick it to Garmin. As a member of the catfish level of this hobby, that slide-in move is saving guys a yuge bundle on *installed cost (*lack of transparency in final pricing is a pet peeve of mine in this hobby). If I understand right, shops are quoting around circa 30 hours for initial installations of GPS/NAV/COMM style boxes (not sure the exact savings in labor costs one would get for GPS/COMM or GPS/NONE box installations). So that's a 3 AMU savings off the gate, minus whatever the shop scalps you on "repairing" your traded unit. Having options is a good thing, good on Avidyne.

So 3,000 for a GNS430W?

Back