Made the right decision, so what?

GreatLakesFlying

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leo
As far as basic ADM goes, deciding not to fly today was straightforward. Conditions were MVFR at departure, destination, and en route. But why was it such a difficult decision to make?

With Thanksgiving around the corner and being in charge for 2 deep fryers tomorrow, I wanted some me-time today. The early forecast yesterday looked promising for a morning flight to KMSN, breakfast at the JetRoom, and back to 06C by 10 AM. I even had the opening lines for my flight video: the busiest day for air travel, just got busier at KMSN ...

So I called the FBO, they said no problem, we can have the DA40 ready for you at 6 AM.

Then, yesterday evening the new TAFs didn't look as promising as their cousins earlier in the day. I did a preliminary briefing for the outbound (06C-FARMM-KMSN) before I got to bed, and it didn't look good: LLWS just south of my departure, though technically not affecting my route; moderate icing as low as 2000 at the edge of my route, and increased cloud coverage.

I went to bed wanting to fly, wanting to brag that I made it to a Class-C the day before Thanksgiving (big deal, right?). Got up at 5 AM, did another briefing and it was OVC030 all over the place. Left a voicemail at the FBO to thank them and let them know that it's a no-go, and went to the gym (only to find out that they don't open before 6 AM).

In hindsight, making the right decision to call off the flight was easy: OVC030 and Zulu AIRMETS, we are done. But it was not that easy. Even this morning, I was trying to read between the lines of the TAFs: they were showing MVFR and I was trying to see if there is a trend later in the day lifting those ceilings to OVC050 or something.

The stupid-me was trying to overtake the responsible-me. I felt bad for the FBO lineman who had to pull the airplane out of the hangar at an ungodly hour. I really wanted that me-time at a diner, in an airport, on the busiest travel day of the year. I wanted to try the new headset. I really wanted to do a 360 on departure and see the sunrise over the skyline and the lake. I could have convinced myself to fly 1000-1500 AGL all the way there. And maybe I could have made it.

Why am I sharing this here? I made the same decision that any responsible pilot would have made, so what's the big deal? I am right in the middle of the Killing Zone: about 200 hours total, ~100 after PPL. And I was so tempted to go to the airport this morning. Well, by sharing this story with you, I feel like reinforcing my good decision making.

Now on to the important business of tomorrow: as God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fry.

Last edited:
Good job. Every one of us has been there, made the right decision, and second guessed it. And probably will a bunch more times. I just remind myself that there's a lot more flying in the future than the past, as long as I'm around to enjoy it.

In a few months you won't remember this day. Had you flown, your family might remember this day for a long, long time.

I'd rather make many incorrect conservative decisions so as to avoid one incorrect cocky decision...

Thanks for sharing !

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hmmm...

If you couldn’t fly up to the Jet Room, I hope you at least sat in the plane, made engine noises, then got out and went upstairs to Pilot Pete’s.

If not, your ADM is still in need of refinement.

Good choice, ow you get to fly another day.

I used to struggle with this many years ago. There was a lineman where our airplane was hangered and he would make snarky remarks if he had to pull it out and then we didn't fly - that would really add to the stress. I live in the NE and after the fall season it's always iffy. In the end I always decided what I felt was safe - but still had a nagging feeling I was being a "wuss" or was only going to be a "fair whether flyer". I've come to understand those thoughts are just dangerous. I'm finishing my IFR training now after a long break in flying. The pressure to fly because of the effort we put into it can sometimes make a no-go decision still feel bad even when we know it's the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes a few months to learn how to fly. But it takes years to learn when not to.

Good call!!

Other than over a foot of snow on the runway and not owning skis (yet, because you never know :) ) it's easy to make the decision to not fly these days. It's not a decision I like making, but Mother Nature made it for me, and that's what I get. Probably won't be in the air again til April, at least in my own airplane. Maybe I'll rent something at the paved country strip 40 miles away after the New Year...

It's a question that will follow you til your last day of flying. Thousands of hours, so many ratings and types and experiences - and you will still need to make That Decision, and you will still cancel flights. Part of the deal we are all in on.
And if you ever make that decision the wrong way - well, it's not an insignificant result.

Back