Made simple iOS app to fund IFR. Holds heading and alts. Thoughts?

Thought: Why?

No I'm not flaming. That's a serious question. I use a cockpit timer to keep track of time to switch tanks (with a pop-up alarm) in airplanes that don't have avionics with that functionality, but I really don't see the benefit of this in either a paper or paperless cockpit.

Add a Baro altimeter with altitude alerting and Apple Watch integration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I applaud the OP's desire, I'm like Mark where I don't see the value to use an additional app such as this when some of the other EFB's (such as WingX) offer similar features and I already have them running as I fly.

Did you add the traffic pattern heading function as well :)

Honestly there's no reason to need this but it was the first easy thing to do. It was just something from a g1000 that I thought would be neat to have in a steam gauge airplane.

Hi Carlos, have you been flying much? As mentioned above, altitude alerting would be a cool feature.

How is this easier, faster or more robust than just writing it down (whether on paper on on an electronic scratchpad)? While I like gadgets in the cockpit, a new gadget or app isn't the solution to every "problem."

Add a Baro altimeter with altitude alerting and Apple Watch integration.

This, and I would look at it. Still trying to use my watch more in the air.

Hi Carlos, have you been flying much? As mentioned above, altitude alerting would be a cool feature.

Hey John! None at all. Saving up for Instrument rating. Yea I might add Apple Watch and altitude alert either with barometer or gps altitude.

How is this easier, faster or more robust than just writing it down (whether on paper on on an electronic scratchpad)? While I like gadgets in the cockpit, a new gadget or app isn't the solution to every "problem."

It sounds like Carlos is just experimenting with making a mobile app. 1.0 may not solve any issues, but maybe if we gave him some ideas, he could come up with something more fun. I don't usually write down temporary altitude and heading restrictions in cruise (pretty common in Norcal where we are), but I do for departure briefings. Maybe a an app that would prompt you for departure stuff, like taxi instructions ("A to F, HS RWY 18, etc.) "runway heading" "stay at or below 1500..."

It sounds like Carlos is just experimenting with making a mobile app. 1.0 may not solve any issues, but maybe if we gave him some ideas, he could come up with something more fun. I don't usually write down temporary altitude and heading restrictions in cruise (pretty common in Norcal where we are), but I do for departure briefings. Maybe a an app that would prompt you for departure stuff, like taxi instructions ("A to F, HS RWY 18, etc.) "runway heading" "stay at or below 1500..."
Maybe. Maybe not. I guess the answer is how much prompting one likes to have for standard information. YMMV.

After listening to ATIS for a few times, I don't think too many pilots need to have prompts to write down the numbers, although it is going to be somewhat helpful for those who rarely go to towered airports, an pre-printed forms have been popular for decades. Same for the useful CRAFT acronym. I suspect most pilots who pick up instrument clearances on even an infrequent basis would be able to put a "jumbled" clearance in the exact order ATC gives it without using CRAFT, but for others, it helps a lot.

When ForeFlight added the multiple scratchpad feature with pre-filled out forms, I'm pretty sure it was in response to user requests so it's obviously useful for many. But I suspect many others reacted to the templates as I did - with a yawn (aside from the "R" be pretty useless for anything more complicated than "as filed").

I am not IFR yet, but I occasionally use a class C airport with departure clearance. It certainly isn't difficult to write it down, but if the app also had some alarms to check your altitude and heading (maybe not heading)...

Not to sound like a cheap a**, too many of these apps come out that even a dollar times how many I have downloaded to be disappointed. If your asking for input you should put it for free then ask input.

Back