Made a decision to put my flight training on hold

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
I was planning to continue flight training during winter break, but I am going to be putting my flight training on hold for an uncertain period of time.

Several reasons why I am doing it.

1. I don't currently have a job and I don't think it would be wise to spend money on flight training without a source of income

2. I am busy looking for a career, right now before I graduate from college.

Rather than spending every paycheck I get on flight training (like I did over last summer), I think it is better to allocate a percentage of my income to flight training and when I accumulate enough funds, I will spend that fund all in one shot.

My question to you is that my CFI is expecting me to call him back to let him know when I can continue training with him. But, I don't know how to break the news to him about my decision since he is like a friend to me. When he called me a couple of weeks ago, he tried to persuade me to be his student again and I reluctantly said yes, when at the time I was actually unsure.

Should I not call him back, implying that I don't want to do flight training at this time, or should I call him and try to gently let him down? How should I handle this situation?

Last edited:
In life, being honest is always the best option. And, in business, just as in life, being honest is the best option.

Call him up and tell him that you are re-prioritizing what you spend your limited money on as you look for a job and finish college. Hopefully you can get re-started again, but for now, gotta put it on hold.

He will be fine with it, and, if he is not, CFI's are a "dime a dozen".... (not really, but, at the end of the day, the CFI is a business person providing a service similar to many other providers.)

Just be honest and it really isn't that big of a deal for him.

Call him back and ask if he will drive the getaway car. Yolo. Your future time orientation is to be commended, but if you can hustle and finish you will be less likely to be one of those guys walking around the airport with grandkids talking about how they took a few lessons in college.

I'm in the same boat as you. 3 classes from finishing my bachelor's, looking for a more aviation relevant job, not extremely well off just yet but making enough to keep me above water. And also desiring to be airborne again. I do have my PPL, but I'm way out of currency and am looking to go back up again any time I can afford to or manage it in my schedule.

I was good friends with the flight school and my instructor back when I was current and had just gotten my license and failed the written for my instrument by one question, but I just told them that I had to go on hold for a while until I sorted some stuff out. I didn't like telling her that at all, I loved the plane and the instruction, but stuff happens. I would make a good faith effort to put in a flight or two once in a while while you're building up financially to let him know you're still interested and still love to fly, just that you can't right now. I didn't do that with my instructor before I left the area and I feel bad about it to this day.

Be fair to your instructor,be honest and discuss it with the instructor. He should understand. Good luck in your endeavors.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Making this decision was very tough, because I had to choose between spending money for flight training seeing how far I can get in the flight training process or saving up and preparing to get a career.

I think I may go for weeks second guessing this decision, but in the end, I think I made the right choice.

Last edited:
Tell him EXACTLY what you told us.

Even a bad instructor will understand that, let alone a friend. It's not like flight instructors are rolling in the dough….

Good choices - save the money now, sock away for flight training AND/OR emergency. With the economy the way it is, as much as you want flying lessons, unless you're in an aviation industry (which is in even worse shape) they are a luxury right now. Be candid with the CFI that you just can't afford it right now but as soon as you graduate and have a steady income, you'll be back. No need to sugar-coat, we've all been there.

You are making the right decision . You are young and have plenty of time to do this later .
Good luck .

I think you should keep giving all your money to him since you don't want to hurt his feelings..

You are making the right decision . You are young and have plenty of time to do this later .
Good luck .

Just do it before you get married, then she won't be able to tell you NO.

Tell you instructor straight up, "Life and finances are requiring me to delay my flight lessons, I'll call you back when my kids are out of college and we'll pick it up then."

Call him back and ask if he will drive the getaway car. Yolo. Your future time orientation is to be commended, but if you can hustle and finish you will be less likely to be one of those guys walking around the airport with grandkids talking about how they took a few lessons in college.

Absolutely, positively, agreed. I cannot tell you how true this is ... I'm no grandpa, but there's not a day that passes I don't wish I'd finished while in college.

As for your instructor, tell him what's what. It's not like he's a clingy one-night-stand or something.

Your CFI should understand the formula: No job=No flying.

I was planning to continue flight training during winter break, but I am going to be putting my flight training on hold for an uncertain period of time.

Several reasons why I am doing it.

1. I don't currently have a job and I don't think it would be wise to spend money on flight training without a source of income

2. I am busy looking for a career, right now before I graduate from college.

Rather than spending every paycheck I get on flight training (like I did over last summer), I think it is better to allocate a percentage of my income to flight training and when I accumulate enough funds, I will spend that fund all in one shot.

My question to you is that my CFI is expecting me to call him back to let him know when I can continue training with him. But, I don't know how to break the news to him about my decision since he is like a friend to me. When he called me a couple of weeks ago, he tried to persuade me to be his student again and I reluctantly said yes, when at the time I was actually unsure.

Should I not call him back, implying that I don't want to do flight training at this time, or should I call him and try to gently let him down? How should I handle this situation?

Just be honest.

If it helps, life and finances got in the way for me too. I flew twice after my PPL at 17. Didn't fly again until 58. It was the right thing to do...I can afford it now, have the time, and the passion is even stronger than it was 41 years ago.

You sound like a responsible guy with a good head on your shoulders. If he gives you a hard time, he's no friend. I'm guessing he'll understand.

Another vote for honestly AND trying whatever you can to keep inching towards your license as time/finances do allow.

Just be honest.

By the way, I was out of flying for 31 years or so. Save some dough, then finish it up. Don't wait like I did. But education is key. Glad you have a good head on your shoulders.

Last edited:
i dont think he will be mad at you if you tell him you cant afford flight training. thats something you cant change for now

Another vote for honestly AND trying whatever you can to keep inching towards your license as time/finances do allow.

This. I don't regret for a second making sacrifices in college to fly. I gave up a lot of nights out for time and money reasons while getting my private and instrument. But to graduate college but my CFI and a good gpa it was worth it. There isn't another time in life where you have the time like you do in college.

Nothing compared with flying to three different states on spring break..... Nothing. You only have so many days in this world... Live them how you want, and without a reason to say "I wish I had......"

Last edited:
You only have so many days in this world... Live them how you want, and without a reason to say "I wish I had......"

I live by this quote! Excellent advise. But I too have Financial issues. I'm the father of three and the only one working right now. On top of that I live in this "rip-off" state of California!
To the OP, I feel your pain and as soon as you can get back on that saddle, JUMP BACK ON! I wanna start mine ASAP but once I get started, I don't want anything to stand in my way of the of the task at hand!
Good luck, it'll work out!

Having gone that route, I can tell you that you're a lot better off if you keep flying, just not so often. If you stop, you will not only find it harder to start again, you will discover that you have to relearn a bunch of things that you now know, because your "feel" will be gone.

If you can't fly every week, schedule an hour per month, or 6 weeks at the outside. Review your ground school stuff, an hour each week.

This won't make you a pilot, but it will keep you from sliding back, while filling time requirements.

Have you soloed? If not, sacrifice to get that done. Then alternate solo with instructor hours.

My question to you is that my CFI is expecting me to call him back to let him know when I can continue training with him.

So, call him, tell him your financial story, and ask him to help set up your extended training schedule.

If you owe someone a phone call, you call them. And tell them the truth.

The rest is just circumstances and your decisions as to how to proceed.

I just called my CFI and told me about me stopping flight training for now for the reasons stated above, and he understood my decision.

We also talked a little bit of about me looking for a career in aviation and I asked him if he knew anyone at Lehigh Valley Airport and he said he knew some people who work there and would be glad to put me in touch with them.

I wish the circumstances were better, but at least that part is off your chest.

I think all of us would like to see you fly a lot more and finish your certificate right away, but we'd also like to win the lottery. Sometimes reality gets in the way.

I know I'd like to be working on my IR right now. Similar trouble. I'm working but my wife isn't, and it's real hard to justify coughing up $8000 or so in a few months under that circumstance.

Back