M20J Flap Speeds with graph

epsalant

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Evan
I have a 1989 M20J and was always taught (and have confirmed in the POH) that Vfe is 115 KIAS, as indicated in the POH page 2-3. But on page 5-7 of the POH there is a graph labeled "AIRSPEED CALIBRATION-PRIMARY STATIC SYSTEM-FLAPS/GEAR DOWN" indicating that 15 degrees of flaps may be lowered safely at 128 kts! (I've attached this graph) This isn't mentioned anywhere else in the POH, and I've read the whole book !!! I don't know if it is a mistake on the graph or an omission from the rest of the POH. Any thoughts from experienced M20J drivers/mechanics ?
Thanks

Evan
PS--not sure which forum is best for this--if there's a better one, please let me know!
m20j.jpg

Evan, that is very interesting. I have an '84 M20J. In my POH on the Airspeed Calibration Primary Static System Flaps and Gear Down graph there is a horizontal line like yours, but it is labeled "Speed for safely lowering flaps" and it is marked at 109 kcas. 109 kcas is the same as 115 kias. So something changed in the POH between '84 and '89.

You could call the factory.

As far as Mooney forums are concerned, are you on www.mooneyspace.com ? That would be a good place to post your question.

thanks. i tred mooneyspace, but no one really answered my query.

i guess most people don't study the POH so carefully. it is bizarre. calling the factory is an option i haven't thought of. are they usally receptive ?

thanks,
evan

Back