Lycoming piston pin plug failure...all clear after resolving?

Johnbo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Johnbo
I’ve come across a plane for sale with an 0-360 in it that has recently suffered the abrasion of the aluminum piston pin plug. It was identified by aluminum in the filter and confirmed by inspection. The engine was topped, crank and cam inspected, oil lines and cooler flushed and retuned to service. That was 12-hours ago and at that time the oil was changed, analyzed and filter inspected and they all look clean.

the question is that with that kind of failure and subsequent repairs is the engine likely to have suffered some kind of damage not yet detected and be headed quickly by overhaul or is it likely to continue on without collateral damage? This issue isn’t uncommon as there is a service bulletin or similar from Lycoming but I am not able to find reports of what ultimately happened down the road with impacted engines that were repaired.

If anyone here has experience with this issue it would be of great assistance,

thx

he question is that with that kind of failure and subsequent repairs is the engine likely to have suffered some kind of damage not yet detected
FWIW: I don't have any experience with that specific repair, but the question you pose can also be applied to any new, rebuilt, or overhauled engine as any of these engines could also be subject to "damage not yet detected." If the repair was done properly then you should expect that engine to operate as required. But just as a reference, I've seen new engines blow up at 300hrs, rebuilt engines never get off the ground, overhauled engines throw a piston at 1000hrs, while a beat up old repaired engine go 1000hrs over TBO. If you're still looking for more info, give Lycoming Tech Support a call and ask them direct your concerns. Good luck.

Back