Lycoming O360 A3A odd sound

If I were you.....I'd have a talk with your mechanic....before you go any further.

Those rivet holes look wallowed out and it's gonna take someone who knows what they're doing to fix that. It appears you used the wrong size drill bit to remove those rivets....:nono:

Also, that door is cracked....and needs to be stop drilled (properly).

Last edited:
The holes on the door or the cowl? I may have pivoted the drill a little to much and took a bite out of the edges.. I used a 1/16 for the 1/8 rivets but still wasn't careful enough.. I chatted with him and he just said use a larger rivet if needed.. The crack I think is just in the paint.. I'll have him check it to be sure though.. This door is proving to be a pain in my ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Can that Teflon tape be used between the upper and lower cowl ? It seems as though it should have some there..

The holes on the door or the cowl? I may have pivoted the drill a little to much and took a bite out of the edges.. I used a 1/16 for the 1/8 rivets but still wasn't careful enough.. I chatted with him and he just said use a larger rivet if needed.. The crack I think is just in the paint.. I'll have him check it to be sure though.. This door is proving to be a pain in my ....

Agreed...

You do not have an edge distance problem with larger rivets.... Within reason of course..:rolleyes:

Do you have any RV builders in your area? You might want to talk to one of them to find someone experienced with riveting, identifying, and cutting metal, and that has the right tools.

Yes you should put teflon faying tape under the rubbing surfaces around the door. Obviously it is in a high vibration spot and you are not going to be able to change that. New hinge stock may be in order.

None that I know of around here.. I wonder why there was never any there applied around the cowl to begin with.. There is some around the top of the engine compartment just below the windshield where the upper cowl sits though but not where the two cowls meet.. Also.. Continuing to battle this rattling sound that I think I have fixed I found another likely suspect.. A loose heat shield that is bolted to the lower cowl.. The oil door was part of the sound but I still hear the sound that is driving me insane at certain pitch/RPM/airspeed.. I attribute it to the engine vibrating something.. I tightened the shield tonight but have not had a chance to test fly it yet..

cf10ed0410587b366b4c6658eb97fb96.jpg
a3cd2fcd93e5a4a3a09941821fe0980b.jpg
8b2ae2523200fc18320e7e5320560b68.jpg

Annual time and I think I finally have found the rattle.. I've been all over the place thinking.. Engine.. Cowl.. Other loose stuff...

Thanks for the info. I believe I have located some 3 foot stock of the extruded.. now I need to figure out the rivet size...

Should I be using soft or hard flush rivets? I leaning towards the hard but the fiberglass is making me thing soft ???!!?? AD426 rivet..
The rivets in the picture appear to be the 2117 alloy. AN426AD-4 I would suspect. (the dimple in the head gives it away as being AD "hard" as opposed to the non-AD)

Back