Lycoming o320 magnetos

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Slick Mags FS fit O235, O320, IO320, O360, IO360, AEIO360

Hello all, I'm gonna have available a complete igntition for sale in the next month or so that will fit Lycoming O-320's (and other 4 cylinder engines). This consists of Slick 4370 and 4371 with a like-new blue skytronics harness. The mags will come with a fresh 500 hr inspection and a detailed log entry. These mags have about 600 hours total time on them I believe (but will verify). The harness has 5/8 spark plug leads so they fit the REM-XXX spark plugs.

If you are in the Omaha/Lincoln/Norfolk/Columbus Nebraska or Yankton South Dakota area I'll help you install them and sign your logbook for free (when it warms up!).

If you're interested let me know. I'll post pictures of the internals when I do the 500 inspection.

Asking $1,000 as 500 hour inspected and tested replacing parts as needed.

If you want new capacitors, coils or breaker points etc in them let me know. We can negotiate the price as I have PMA'ed replacement parts in stock.

Reason for removal is to convert my dad's O-320 in a Cessna 177 from a single impluse Slick mag setup to a dual impulse Bendix mag system. The harness is being replaced to get 3/4 spark plug leads.

Last edited:
This should be in the classifieds. Sorry about that.

A friend is rebuilding a 0320, I will tell him what you have available. Not sure if he is rebuilding his bendix or what. I will let him know what you go here.

A friend is rebuilding a 0320, I will tell him what you have available. Not sure if he is rebuilding his bendix or what. I will let him know what you go here.

IMHO:::>

I am so tired of Slick's poor performance and bad reliability, that I am buying NEW TCM mags for my aircraft restoration project.

Yes they are expensive, but my safety is worth it.

I am so tired of Slick's poor performance and bad reliability, that I am buying NEW TCM mags for my aircraft restoration project.

Wow, Tom, I have not heard of any issues with them, what are you seeing? :dunno:

Wow, Tom, I have not heard of any issues with them, what are you seeing? :dunno:

the last 3 sets I have installed in customers aircraft have had troubles with the little carbon brush and spring.

plus I can rebuild the Bendix.

the last 3 sets I have installed in customers aircraft have had troubles with the little carbon brush and spring.

plus I can rebuild the Bendix.

And replacing the carbon brush takes 10 minutes. I have PMA'ed aftermarket brushes, not Champion brushes on my desk.

And replacing the carbon brush takes 10 minutes. I have PMA'ed aftermarket brushes, not Champion brushes on my desk.

When I spend that kind of money I expect to do nothing for TBO of the engine.

JMHO

When I spend that kind of money I expect to do nothing for TBO of the engine.

JMHO

Are you aware of the manufacturing scene, ADs and service bulletins? Everyone has quality escapes, it's well documented.

Doing nothin on a slick will guarantee they won't make TBO, they need 500 hour inspections and proper cleaning at each one.

Not everyone is an A&P which means it costs money to pay a mechanic to overhaul Bendix mags and they will never be new. It's well known how Slick capitalized on this perceived inequality.

Last edited:
Are you aware of the manufacturing scene, ADs and service bulletins? Everyone has quality escapes, it's well documented.

Doing nothin on a slick will guarantee they won't make TBO, they need 500 hour inspections and proper cleaning at each one.

Not everyone is an A&P which means it costs money to pay a mechanic to overhaul Bendix mags and they will never be new. It's well known how Slick capitalized on this perceived inequality.

Best buy

http://www.continentalmotors.aero/magnetos/

Tom is right. Slick has had way too many quality control problems in the last four or five years. That carbon brush issue is due to misaligned tangs on the coil's spark output. I have found that brush completely worn out in a couple hundred hours and the tang chewed up by the distributor shaft.

http://www.aeronca.org/Slick-SB3-08.pdf

The bent tang is even covered in their overhaul manuals. Surely the guys at the factory should be aware of it.

In another hiccup, Slick replaced the points cam material with something different that wore out in no time flat and they had to issue another SB.

http://74.53.89.18/~rvbits/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/SLICK_SB2_08A.pdf

Didn't they test the new material??

And, most recently, they used points that burned out in short order. Probably no silver on them, or the wrong alloy of it or something.

http://www.championaerospace.com/assets/SB1-12_corrected_copy.pdf

What's next, I wonder?

In buying Lycoming overhauls, which have brand-new Slicks on them, I have found manufacturing oil in them, fouling the points and causing misfire, and the E-gap has often been off somewhat.

Aircraft quality, indeed. I had high hopes for them once Champion bought them up.

Dan

Apparently Slick has a serious quality control issue as Tom , Dan and most all the local A&P's here always comment on how bad Slick mags are...

So, I guess my question is what is the proper protocol to inform the FAA of an obvious defect in a FAA approves part. ?

Form 8130-3 ?

do you fill in block 12, or 13 ??:dunno:

Surely the FAA has a logical way for A&P's and IA's to report bad parts.:rolleyes2:

Apparently Slick has a serious quality control issue as Tom , Dan and most all the local A&P's here always comment on how bad Slick mags are...

So, I guess my question is what is the proper protocol to inform the FAA of an obvious defect in a FAA approves part. ?

Form 8130-3 ?

do you fill in block 12, or 13 ??:dunno:

Surely the FAA has a logical way for A&P's and IA's to report bad parts.:rolleyes2:
What you are speaking of, is a maintenance difficulty report.

virtually useless.

vote with your money.. and don't buy the junk made off shore. Get the word out that you can buy new TCM mags that can be overhauled in the field by any mechanic, and used from overhaul to overhaul with virtually no maintenance.
I see 50 year old Bendix mags that have the points adjust so many time there is no cam follower left and they are still running fine. I have seen them nearly full of oil and running fine but creating a oil leak that the owner wanted stopped. a 3 dollar seal fixed them.
A set of new Slicks can jump a spark about 1/2 inch with the engine idling, an old bendix will jump a spark about 3/4 to 1 inch on its worst day.

When you look at the web page I linked above, you will see TCM is using the same sales tactics that Slick did back a few years, now slick only will take their own products as core. TCM will take anybodies.

Last edited:
What you are speaking of, is a maintenance difficulty report.

virtually useless.

vote with your money.. and don't buy the junk made off shore. Get the word out that you can buy new TCM mags that can be overhauled in the field by any mechanic, and used from overhaul to overhaul with virtually no maintenance.
I see 50 year old Bendix mags that have the points adjust so many time there is no cam follower left and they are still running fine. I have seen them nearly full of oil and running fine but creating a oil leak that the owner wanted stopped. a 3 dollar seal fixed them.
A set of new Slicks can jump a spark about 1/2 inch with the engine idling, an old bendix will jump a spark about 3/4 to 1 inch on its worst day.

When you look at the web page I linked above, you will see TCM is using the same sales tactics that Slick did back a few years, now slick only will take their own products as core. TCM will take anybodies.

Wow....

So Tom. what you are saying is there is no mechanism in place by the FAA for licensed A&P's and IA's to report a defect in a FAA approved part?.:dunno:

Last edited:

The fact there is a avenue available to aircraft mechanics to express their concerns and findings of defective aircraft parts and it is ineffective is downright scary..:eek::hairraise:.... I am really against certified FAA approved parts now...:eek:.. YUCK.....

Ps. When all of you A&P's visit with the FSDO's to chat, do you bring up the fact that there is a HUGE problem with the reporting of defective parts? How do you people sleep at night :dunno:

Last edited:
The fact there is a avenue available to aircraft mechanics to express their concerns and findings of defective aircraft parts and it is ineffective is downright scary..:eek::hairraise:.... I am really against certified FAA approved parts now...:eek:.. YUCK.....

Ps. When all of you A&P's visit with the FSDO's to chat, do you bring up tha fact that there is a HUGE problem with the reporting of defective parts? How do you people sleep at night :dunno:

The FAA (and Transport Canada, through its Service Difficulty reporting Program) and the manufacturers all track reported failures and use that information (along with other inputs) to decide whether ADs or other actions are required. As we all know, ADs and SBs do show up frequently enough.

If you get into that database and do a search on some common airframe or engine or propeller or appliance (magnetos and carburetors and seat belts and instruments and radios wheels and brakes and such are all "appliances") it will give you a long list of reported defects or failures for that item. There are remarkably few repeated items there, and many of the reports have to do with simple age or neglect anyway, not really reportable stuff. We're looking for early, unexpected failures, or obvious defects when new, or counterfeit stuff, things like that.

On the other hand, many mechanics won't take the time to file reports even though required by law. Filing reports makes no money, see? The governments and manufacturers can't act on information they don't have.

Dan

Last edited:
The FAA (and Transport Canada, through its Service Difficulty reporting Program) and the manufacturers all track reported failures and use that information ........

On the other hand, many mechanics won't take the time to file reports even though required by law. Filing reports makes no money, see? The governments and manufacturers can't act on information they don't have.

Dan

Hmmm..

So , all these posts by FAA licensed A&P's and IA's complaining about Slick mags and Kelly Aerospace carbs should have filed reports to the FAA stating their experience and the defects they see in the field.:dunno:?

Hmmm..

So , all these posts by FAA licensed A&P's and IA's complaining about Slick mags and Kelly Aerospace carbs should have filed reports to the FAA stating their experience and the defects they see in the field.:dunno:?

I do, filed several.

I don't fill one out for every problem I find, but if it is something I think is due to a poor design/quality or easily missed during regular maintenance I report it.

When my slick's timing started to drift I did the same.

Hmmm..

This is true.

This is true.

I wonder if in the past there may have been some bias in the FAA towards slicks as bendix has had more ADs issued against them yet slick has had plenty of comparible problems themselves without such FAA involvement.

Maybe the AD process is based of some statistical formula I'm unaware of Idk.

I wonder if in the past there may have been some bias in the FAA towards slicks as bendix has had more ADs issued against them yet slick has had plenty of comparible problems themselves without such FAA involvement.

Or............. The FAA didn't get ANY feedback on failed or unsafe products....:dunno:

Or............. The FAA didn't get ANY feedback on failed or unsafe products....:dunno:

Slick's problems lead to decreased performance and troubles during runups, not outright, unexpected and total failure. So a pilot doesn't go flying when he finds a big mag drop or the engine missing badly on one mag , and so there's no accident. Just inconvenience and expense. The FAA doesn't usually write up ADs unless there's a real risk that the thing could fail unexpectedly and kill someone.

Still, if owners ignore the SBs and symptoms of poor ignition and an accident results, the FAA would be sorely tempted to turn those SBs into ADs. Got to protect some people from themselves.

Dan

Bendix scintilla division was a big name in aviation long before Slick was ever thought of, I worked the machine line while I was in high school, and that was a long time ago.

Slick's problems lead to decreased performance and troubles during runups, not outright, unexpected and total failure. So a pilot doesn't go flying when he finds a big mag drop or the engine missing badly on one mag , and so there's no accident. Just inconvenience and expense. The FAA doesn't usually write up ADs unless there's a real risk that the thing could fail unexpectedly and kill someone.

Still, if owners ignore the SBs and symptoms of poor ignition and an accident results, the FAA would be sorely tempted to turn those SBs into ADs. Got to protect some people from themselves.

Dan
New error company lawyers think of the AD as a CYA for the company, the old companies like Bendix and TCM think of them as a failure on their part. and thus do not ask for ADs as some of the new companies like Precision Airmotive who tried to use the AD system to sell carb parts.

Were Slick thinking they might get sued because of that carbon brush thingy they would have a AD on it tomorrow, But they have made good on all the problems the customers are satisfied with that because no one has gotten killed.

For Ben,

Slick found out about this brush problem how?

Some one told them, I wonder who?

Service difficulty reports and their warrantee, that's who.

For Ben,

Slick found out about this brush problem how?

Some one told them, I wonder who?

Service difficulty reports and their warrantee, that's who.

Glad to hear the Slick has addressed the problem and fixed the defect...

Has Kelly Aerospace addressed their (according to most of the A&P's on here and other places) obvious defects in their carbs?

Has Kelly Aerospace addressed their (according to most of the A&P's on here and other places) obvious defects in their carbs?
At your next opportunity read the paper work that comes with a new Kelly carb..

Or ask Kelly Tech support if you can run Auto fuel in your new carb.

At your next opportunity read the paper work that comes with a new Kelly carb..

Or ask Kelly Tech support if you can run Auto fuel in your new carb.

Thanks, but NO thanks Tom....... After reading about the obvious poor quality of Kelly Aerospace and Slick mags from someone as qualified as you.... There is NO way I would ever buy their products.. So there is no way I could get to see said paperwork...

Care to post it here so we all can read it ?

Thanks in advance..

Thanks, but NO thanks Tom....... After reading about the obvious poor quality of Kelly Aerospace and Slick mags from someone as qualified as you.... There is NO way I would ever buy their products.. So there is no way I could get to see said paperwork...

Care to post it here so we all can read it ?

Thanks in advance..
I'm not getting sued either. :)

ha ha................

Why would you get sued for posting a public document ?

I don't have a copy of one, my customers get all that stuff.

I simply install stuff.

Back