Lycoming EIS?

"Lycoming EIS is designed to go to TBO and does not include a Lycoming-scheduled maintenance requirement."
Finally. After cars have had it for 45-plus-years.

"Lycoming EIS is designed to go to TBO and does not include a Lycoming-scheduled maintenance requirement."
Finally. After cars have had it for 45-plus-years.

What's the TBO on a car?

Looks like someone repainted a SureFly and stuck a Lycoming label on it.

EIS_Quarter-front_SQ-web.png

SIM4P%20Front.jpg

Fifty years, or 500,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Though my comment was directed at electronic ignitions.

Have you had an electronic ignition on a car last that long?

P.S. I remember the early days of electronic ignitions in cars, back in the 1970s. Some of them weren't all that great. I had a car where I had to do two back-to-back replacements as the solid state hardware mounted on the firewall kept getting fried from the underhood temperatures. Points and a condenser didn't seem all that bad a deal after being stranded. They've come a long way since, so it is good to see this stuff finally making its way into our planes. Not clear if this unit has variable timing, or just a straight replacement for the mag, with fewer moving parts?

Last edited:
Not much information...do they allow both mags to be replaced? Variable timing?

Tom

Not much information...do they allow both mags to be replaced? Variable timing?

Tom
If it is a rebadged SureFly then the answers are "no" and "as of today, depends on the installation".

If it is a rebadged SureFly then the answers are "no" and "as of today, depends on the installation".

Do manufacturers get more leeway in regards to what they can do versus OEMs with STCs?

Tom

Have you had an electronic ignition on a car last that long?
Still waiting to find out. I haven't had an ignition related problem in a car or pickup since... ummmm... the very late 1980s. The most we got out of one before the car was sold was 12 years and about 130K miles. But, other than a coil pack failure in a Chevy Corsica -- remember those? I've never had an electronic ignition related failure in any other car, and that included some pretty sketchy, old imports bought for the kids when they were in high school. I also haven't needed to replace a spark pug in a car since... well, I honestly don't remember how long it's been. Lots of years, though.

I don't get the whole mistrust of modern electronic ignition systems. Are some guys just still driving cars from the 80s, or what?

Press release from OSH today says not yet certified, only available with fixed timing for e/ab at this time. No mention of msrp. Another entrant into the market is good, and the Lycoming name won't hurt them.

According to some people on COPA SureFly is working on a dual EIS for certified planes. One of the requirements is two power sources, which all Cirrus have, so many of the Cirrus owners are excited by the prospects of that. Those that have put the SureFly in are raving about it. Biggest gain to many is making the hot starts a simple thing.

Back